1/48 Kinetic Su-33 Flanker-D, Syrian Campaign, 2016

Hi all!

Back again with my latest completed project, the Kinetic Su-33 Sea Flanker.  This is a model I have wanted to build for quite some time, and a quarterly contest with my local IPMS club (John Glenn, Cleveland) gave me the excuse I needed to start this one.  The contest theme was "I've Got the Blues", which was to build something that was predominantly blue.  I am happy to say this model won first place!

By now I am sure you have heard much about this kit.  It is complex.  The detail is fantastic.  Accuracy is pretty good.  The instructions are, well, really bad.  There is an updated PDF with new instructions online now, which are better, but still leave a lot to be desired.  There are some part placement omissions, and seeing where exactly to attach parts can be quite ambiguous.  But the worst part for me was the order of construction.  It really just makes no sense.  I built this basically just referencing the instructions every once in awhile to make sure I didn't forget something or I just wanted to try to get a better idea of how something fit together.  I totally ignored the order of construction for the most part.

Did I say this was a complex build?  Yeah, it is.  There are tons of parts.  Fitment was actually pretty decent in most places, but I did encounter issues with the intakes fitting right and the nose cone fit is just poor in general.  I had quite a step to deal with no matter how much I dry fit or sanded to get it better before attachment.

I used a combination of kit decals and the Begemot sheet "Sukhoi Su-33 Sea Flanker - Mission in Syria".  The kit decals really are quite nice, and the Begemot ones were as well, just like always.  

There are some things I did not do exactly correctly or accurately, but overall I am very happy with the end result.

Here is what I used for this project:

Kit: 1/48 Kinetic Su-33 Flanker-D, K48062

Decals: Begemot Su-33 "Mission in Syria" 48-051, OOB

Aftermarket: Master Model Pitot Tube

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (main aircraft primer base), Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat),   Mr Paint MRP-195 Sukhoi Cockpit Blue-Gray, MRP-032 Russian Wheel Green, MRP-199 Su-33 Light Blue, MRP-200 Su-33 Dark Blue and MRP-201 Su-33 Gray, MRP-186 Light Gray, Tamiya Gloss White, Rubber Black, Smoke, Clear Blue, and Clear Yellow, Gunze Mr Color GX2 Gloss Black (gloss black primer for metalwork) and Alclad II Airframe Aluminum, Pale Burnt Metal, and Jet Exhaust. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Now on to the pics... I hope you like!

660377-16625-27.jpg

660386-16625-86.jpg

660355-16625-92.jpg

660356-16625-54.jpg

660360-16625-16.jpg

660389-16625-49.jpg

660361-16625-30.jpg

660362-16625-12.jpg

660380-16625-13.jpg

660374-16625-69.jpg

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four
On 11/1/2019 at 3:47 AM, Mstor said:

She's a beauty! I'm still trying to finish up mine. I know what a pain some parts of this kit are but you have come through with flying colors. Well done Sir!

Thanks Mark! I look forward to seeing yours done. 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:51 AM, Whiskey said:

It's.... It's.... It's so beautiful. I think just cried a little.

Hahaa, thanks Zach.  That made me LOL a little.  I always appreciate your feedback my friend!

On 11/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, Joerg said:

Beautiful build. Hope mine turns out half as nice.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Jeorg!  I look forward to seeing yours when you finish!

On 11/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, Janissary said:

Looks incredible! Need more close-up pics to appreciate the details and a few belly shots!

Thanks so much Janissary, I really appreciate your kind words, you are one of my inspirations here.

The model is now in my office, so I will try to get some closer pics and underside, which for whatever reason I never seem to do when I take pics of my finished builds.  *shrugs*

On 11/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, Berkut said:

Wow, what a stunning build!

Thanks Berkut, I am always flattered when one of the resident Russian aircraft gurus hereon ARC likes my build. 🙂

On 11/1/2019 at 11:14 PM, Falconxlvi said:

You knocked it out of the park!  A real stunner.  Well done!

Steve

Thanks Steve, that is very kind.  I am definitely proud of this one, and it is my favorite model I've built now.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:48 AM, dustiepal said:

WOW, you build great models. This is really nice, the best SU-33 I have ever seen!

Dave

Wow, thanks Dave! That is indeed some lofty praise, and I have seen some amazing Su-33s built.  So to be lumped in with that group is an honor in of itself. 

On 11/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, Spruemeister said:

That will take First in more than just a quarterly club contest.  Very well done, and I echo the other sentiments.  Hope mine is someday as nice.

Rick L.

Thanks Rick!  I am truly humbled by such kind words.  I was going to enter it into the Cleveland IPMS show, but unfortunately I could not commit to being there all afternoon due to other commitments so I had to leave it out.

14 hours ago, goondman said:

Another inspirational build! How did the main wing go together?

Thanks goondman!  I actually remember remarking to myself about how well the wings fit when they were designed to have the option of folding.  Figured it would be a bit tricky, but I had no issues at all.

8 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Awesome Sea Flanker, great job!

Thanks Paul, it is great to hear your feedback, your amazing Flankers are an inspiration to me.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, this is the Display Case, not the Critique forum. Per the mod's instructions "Fellow modelers....please remember that unsolicited critiques are not to be offered in the Display Case. "

Edited by Mstor