Mr Paint lacquers in the UK

So Ive been hearing some really good things about the lacquer line of Mr paint colours and Im wanting to get hold of some of the basic USAF, USN, USMC etc etc colours in the UK.

Im really looking to source them in the UK as I prefer to support our own companies before the rest of the world.

Any suggestions would be nice as Ive had a google around and I cant seem to find anywhere that carries the range here, or is it that they dont have many colours in their range?

Also am I correct in thinking that the lacquer paints are in the glass bottles with the crew top lid and not the plastic flip tops?

I ordered some solvent-based MRP paints two weeks ago and was expecting glass bottles.  I got one in a glass bottle and the rest in a clear plastic bottle with a flat flip top and saw from their facebook page that they did change to those.  I also thought I'd ordered the wrong ones as I saw they were labeled "Acrylic-lacquer" but I guess they're the correct solvent-based ones.

49006673568_71bdd226ff_c.jpg

49006673728_d2deea5a92_c.jpg

The water-based acrylics are labelled "Water-based" and have pointed tops and look more like the Vallejo containers.   Largescaleplanes review below:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1996

Edited by crackerjazz
2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

I ordered some solvent-based MRP paints two weeks ago and was expecting glass bottles.  I got one in a glass bottle and the rest in a clear plastic bottle with a flat flip top and saw from their facebook page that they did change to those.  I also thought I'd ordered the wrong ones as I saw they were labeled "Acrylic-lacquer" but I guess they're the correct solvent-based ones.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the change, but its been a while since I had to order any paints. Is it the same amount as the glass bottle? Where did you order from?

I see MRP posted about the change way back in February.  

49008567862_4e8c1e7ef7.jpg

Yes, the plastic bottles I got were the same volume (30ml).  I would have liked the glass bottle more (as paint stores better in glass bottles, I believe - I may be mistaken)  but plastic bottles prevent breakage during transport and the flip tops make it easier to use.  I ordered mine on ebay.   I see the "water-based" ones also come in the same caps now so you need to be careful and make sure it reads either "Acrylic Lacquer (solvent) or "Water-based" (which they call their Aqua line although nowhere does it mention "Aqua" on the label).

Edited by crackerjazz

Well, it should prevent the instances of bottles breaking during vigorous shaking. I've always been a bit worried when shaking the glass bottles after reports of bottles shattering.

Here another UK vendor. Appears to have most all of the line as they list 348 paints.

https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/aircraft.html

Another vendor...

https://www.mjrmodelsandhobbies.co.uk/catid/133/

That's it, as far as I can see. Looks like you already have one more vendor than the whole of the USA. We only have two, Hobbyworld and Sprue Brothers. If you can't find what you want among those three (including the first one in my first reply), then I don't know what you are looking for.

51 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Here another UK vendor. Appears to have most all of the line as they list 348 paints.

https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/aircraft.html

Another vendor...

https://www.mjrmodelsandhobbies.co.uk/catid/133/

That's it, as far as I can see. Looks like you already have one more vendor than the whole of the USA. We only have two, Hobbyworld and Sprue Brothers. If you can't find what you want among those three (including the first one in my first reply), then I don't know what you are looking for.

The first one is great apart from not having the colours I want and several of the ones that they do have are sold out.

So apart from not being able to buy what I want theres nothing wrong with it.

The second also doesnt have the colours I want. MJR models I know, its not far from Crow Nest Junction on the Hindley line in Rose hill...

If a quick google search was all it takes to get the results I wanted then I wouldnt have needed to ask here Mstor.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
34 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The first one is great apart from not having the colours I want and several of the ones that they do have are sold out.

So apart from not being able to buy what I want theres nothing wrong with it.

The second also doesnt have the colours I want. MJR models I know, its not far from Crow Nest Junction on the Hindley line in Rose hill...

If a quick google search was all it takes to get the results I wanted then I wouldnt have needed to ask here Mstor.

OK, now I get it. You're looking for out of stock colors or colors you are not sure that MRP makes. As far as the former, I think you will find that is a common occurrence with MRP paints. They are so popular that vendors regularly run out of the more popular colors. Happens all the time with the vendors we have here in the USA. Best to develop a relationship with the owners of the shops and keep up on when new stock is expected. Even then, there are some colors that are very difficult to obtain. They seem to disappear as soon as they are posted. Do any of those vendors allow backordering? That has become a life saver with Hobbyworld here in the states. I just backorder the color and it gets shipped as soon as new stock arrives (assuming he gets enough to cover all backorders.

The only way you can pretty much guarantee getting the colors you want is to order from the manufacturer in Slovakia https://mrpaint.sk/farby . Checking there would also be the place to ensure that the colors you are looking for are actually offered by MRP.

As far as your last statement above. Either I misunderstood or you weren't clear on what you were looking for. A bit of both perhaps. A quick Google search was all I needed to find those vendors and the manufacturer.

Edited by Mstor
On 11/3/2019 at 8:46 PM, crackerjazz said:

I see MRP posted about the change way back in February.  

49008567862_4e8c1e7ef7.jpg

I see the "water-based" ones also come in the same caps now so you need to be careful and make sure it reads either "Acrylic Lacquer (solvent) or "Water-based" (which they call their Aqua line although nowhere does it mention "Aqua" on the label).

RED labels are lacquers, BLUE labels and MRP-A designations are Aqua, normal acryllic line, GREEN labels and MRP-F are acryllic for figure painters - they brush beautifuly and are slightly thicker than A series.

Hey guys,

I see you've already discussed the new packaging for the lacquer based MRP paint, in the plastic bottles with flip tops.  My first experience with MRP was with the glass bottles that had the hard plastic screw on tops.  I REALLY liked those.  My first experience with the new bottles was not good.  While you may be correct that there is less likelihood of plastic jars cracking during shipment compared to glass, the flip tops can also not be fully seated or can be affected by heat.  That's what happened in my first purchase of the plastic bottles; one bottle top had come open and spilled a large quantity of paint into the bubble wrap.  Thank goodness it was wrapped that way.  Had the wrapping been paper or other porous substance, the paint would likely have oozed out of the shipping box.  Matt from Hobbyworld (a US distributor) told me that the first shipments of MRP in the new bottles had some history of the tops not being sealed completely.  Hopefully that issue has been addressed.  By the way, Matt did send me a new bottle of the color that had opened in shipment.