7 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I'm researching for my next build, a S-3B from OEF. Would the missile body be white or gray ?

Thanks,

Steve

Grey

There were white AGM-84D's but grey one's were carried in the war zone.

Which squadron are you doing?  Most of my Buds flying in OEF were saddled with mission tanking. Some carried IR Maverick in the Gulf during OIF. Of course one crew shot a Laser Mav warshot. Harpoon was a rarity since it wasn’t as selective as a Maverick or SLAM-ER.  Look forward to your build. 

As stated by Gerry: live warshot rounds are grey. Yellow and a brown stripe of course. 

Cheers

Collin

RGM-84-Harpoon-021.jpg

AGM-84-Harpoon-002.jpg

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Which squadron are you doing?  Most of my Buds flying in OEF were saddled with mission tanking. Some carried IR Maverick in the Gulf during OIF. Of course one crew shot a Laser Mav warshot. Harpoon was a rarity since it wasn’t as selective as a Maverick or SLAM-ER.  Look forward to your build. 

As stated by Gerry: live warshot rounds are grey. Yellow and a brown stripe of course. 

Cheers

Collin

RGM-84-Harpoon-021.jpg

AGM-84-Harpoon-002.jpg

Thanks for the replies GW8345 and Collin.

I'll be building S-3B, NH-700, VS-29, 160569.

I read somewhere while researching yesterday that a typical "OEF" loadout was a refueling pod on the port wing, a Harpoon on the starboard wing and, 4 MK-82's (with conical fins) in the bomb bay.

I'm thinking of also building, at the same time, a ES-3A from 1994 timeframe since they are pretty much the same build.

Steve

edited-image_zps8decayrg.jpg

Load it up!!  If you had Big Wing USAF tankers supporting the AirWing, then CAGs made more allowances for S-3's to carry wing stores like Harpoon, Maverick, ROCKEYE/bombs, other than the drop tank.  You will never get rid of the ARS pod on the port wing.  Look forward to your build.  

Looking around, don't believe VS-29 had Mav+ birds by then, not that that would impact carriage of AGM-84D Harpoon.  An alternate configuration would be FMU-140 fused MK-20 ROCKEYE on the right pylon.  We carried this in the Gulf as well.  

372.jpg

375.jpg

image019.jpg

image015.jpg

M904 fused 2 or 4 x MK-82 slick in the BB were always carried, had no affect on any of our missions.  Even tanker birds carried them.  

Cheers

Collin

Developmental and Operational testing was still ongoing into early 2002.  Reaching back into my long dead brain cells, I believe VS-38 was one of the first fleet squadrons (VS-30 being the other) that got Maverick Plus (late 2002-ish???).  Mav+ allows Laser/IR Maverick and carriage/release/guidance of SLAM-ER (w/AWW-13 guidance pod).  

Short answer is no.  VS-29 would have just been limited to legacy weapons.

Cheers

Collin  

Edited by Collin