I thought I had a thread going for this one, but after almost a year of no updates, I cant find it.  Anyway, Minicraft's KC-135E  being converted to an NC-135B SATCOM testbed aircraft. Painted the two main colors just in the last two weeks... Model Master Gloss White and lightened Xtracolor ADC Grey.  It needs some touchng up, but at least I can show some progress finally.  I leaving the large SATCOM fairing covered until all airbrushing is done, and that bent metal nose strut will get straightened out...!

This is what I'm working towards....

nc1354.jpg

NC1351.jpg

NC1352.jpg

NC1353.jpg

2 hours ago, Da SWO said:

This thread?

No, not that one.... I thought I had an "in progress" thread going on it... but that thread in "Jet Modelling" is mine also...!

Edited by bluedot25
Correction

Thanks Don... and great little video.... its amazing how many of the -135s have been upgraded, re-built, re-purposed and re-designated over the decades... and they just keep on going!  Great airplane...

10 minutes ago, bluedot25 said:

Thanks Don... and great little video.... its amazing how many of the -135s have been upgraded, re-built, re-purposed and re-designated over the decades... and they just keep on going!  Great airplane...

They're the best.   I need to get off my butt and finish off the over dozen 135's I have in progress.   Maybe your NC-135 build will be the spark that motivates me.

I'm still using enamels.... always have... the white is Model Master Gloss Insignia White, and the the grey is Xtracolor ADC Grey, lightened with MM white (not sure if its good to mix brands, but it seemed to work fine)... 

Thanks Jonah.... here's a photo from earlier in the build... I just made a rough framework out of strip styrene, then filled it all in with epoxy wood filler (Kwikwood) and Bondo.  Then it was just a matter of sanding and priming, followed by many more sessions of Bondo, and more sanding and priming!  Eventually I had the shape I was after....  I did the same with the EC-135 ARIA nose I have on another conversion I've got in the works (its on here somewhere also).  I've got a "standard" KC-135A going also...  I haven't seen an "Open Skies" jet done yet... sounds like a great idea.... there are so many possibilities with the KC-135s..!

nc134bd.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, bluedot25 said:

there are so many possibilities with the KC-135s..!

Tom, Endless possibilities, as many jets changed configurations over their careers!  Keep calm and carry on!  You have emboldened me to try the cardstock framework filled with woodputty and bondo method.  I've got plenty of all three ingredients!  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Yeah Dutch... its not too difficult... just take your time and be prepared for it to take some time!  A good, sandable primer will help a lot.  I use Rustoleum 2X UltraCover in a rattle can. It dries fast too.  So, its putty, sand, prime, sand.... repeat... many times!  The closer you get to the end, the finer the sandpaper you'll want to use...  That dome on my kit took about a week, probably doing a couple sessions a day once the first of the Bondo dried...