Airfix new tool Vulcan in 72nd scale

IF you havent heard, then go over to another site and they are going crazzzzy over this.

Someone "accidentally" leaked the Sunday Telford announcement about 2 hours ago.

So, is there anyone who wants to buy my old Airfix Vulcan bomber???

It could be of course a hoax, but then I will have a very long build on my hands with the old kit! :)  :)

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Yeah I thought it was a hoax as it seems inconceivable that something like that would happen considering the way they kept the Hellcat secret.

Although having said that, it does make sense as it is right in line with their V bomber series. I hope so as I too have the old Airfix kit and I shudder every time I open the box.

15 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

See the title? 

72nd!

:rolleyes: See the irony in it?

There already exists an Airfix 1/72nd scale Vulcan kit, whereas someone at Hornby needed to stir interest in a 1/48th Vulcan kit!

What makes you think that Airfix are to make a new-tool 1/72nd kit this time when they didn't follow suit with their own scam ten years ago...? Hellooo... somebody home up there? 

Yes, sure there is a 72nd kit from Airfix of the Vulcan bomber, the only problem it is dated 1984!!! What is it, almost 40 years old! Back then completely different technology of master design/making, detailing, raised panel lines, contemporary ideas . . .

As we have seen very recently using a 3D scan of the real aircraft in wrong hands can mean disaster, but if used right it can produce a master piece!

Everything is possible.

Well, we will see in a day or two with the then official announcement at Telford. 

All this waiting  . . .  😊

Best regards

Gabor

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

it is dated 1984!!!

:doh: Duuuuuuhhh...!!! Now, please tell us something that we still didn't know about... :wierdo:

There's just been the releasement of YET another all-resin 1/48th Vulcan B.2 kit by Icelandic Fine Arts, in case that you were still out of. That scale alone has had both the Aeroclub AND Eiriksson kits releases. What's with Hornby really bothering about the re-tooling of an old kit in 1/72nd scale?

I myself have witnessed the 1/48 Vulcan B.2 kit release hoax - box art and all - on part of Airfix with the only intention of a marketing strategy ten years ago.      

Why wouldn't Airfix tool up a new 1/72 Vulcan? Big bombers have been popular this year with the new 1/72 BUFF kits. Hey, a new 1/48 Vulcan is great for 1/48 fans and builders but not so for 1/72 fans and builders right? A new tool Vulcan in 1/72 would be welcome news. I've built the MPC version of the Airfix Vulcan and the intakes nearly drove me bonkers. I spent at least a week filling and sanding those bloody things!  The rest of the kit went together fairly well but oh those intakes.  No bomb bay, lackluster landing gear, less then stellar wheels, zero detail in the wells, terrible burner cans, lacking cockpit details (but to be fair you can't see anything in the cockpit when its all buttoned up), no Black Buck options, lousy decals, raised/wall-like panel lines...ummm yeah, I'd take a new tool 1/72 Vulcan! But I'll keep my second old Airfix Vulcan that I have in the stash for nostalgic reasons.

If it happens then great! If not...oh well...life goes on... and I have a few kits in the stash to keep me busy anyways.

I could always build the old Airfix Vulcan in my stash..........

Happy Modeling all!

Hi Hubbie Marsten,

I have nothing against 48th scale kits. So if someone would make it, it is fine with me. I think it would be far too big for me so I would do only 72nd kits of anything that big. 

As I have said, we will see today what is prepared by Airfix for us. :coolio:

Best regards

Gabor

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Hubbie Marsten,

As I have said, we will see today what is prepared by Airfix for us. :coolio:

Hi ya-gabor,

I'm having my hat for breakfast... 

Really can't fathom those peoples at Hornby. What a waste of resources! I can only but image what a 1/48th scale Vulcan B.2 kit in that same level of detail ought to have meant to the modelling community.

SOLD :woot.gif:! Now this is cool. A full bomb bay...finally! Cockpit detail looks really nice but unless you do not permanently attach the canopy most of that detail won't be seen.  Boxed in wheel wells. Intakes look much better then the original but I still shuddered looking at them. In all a great choice by Airfix and by no means a waste of resources for those who build 1/72 or Vulcan fans.

Happy modeling!

Sorry I was not able to follow developments today live. Just got home. We had a local modelling show and had a stand with my own flight safety equipment, helmets, flight suits . . .

So the news leak was not a hoax. :coolio:  Nice to see a new Vulcan and the scale is right for me.

I know some would have preferred something bigger, sure someone will do it too.

Did they say when it will be out???

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Sorry I was not able to follow developments today live. Just got home. We had a local modelling show and had a stand with my own flight safety equipment, helmets, flight suits . . .

So the news leak was not a hoax. :coolio:  Nice to see a new Vulcan and the scale is right for me.

I know some would have preferred something bigger, sure someone will do it too.

Did they say when it will be out???

Best regards

Gabor

In the large press release posted just a couple of posts above, it says “November 2020”, so I’m going to go out on a limb and guess November 2020.

OK, hold on now. Something bigger? The 1/72 kit is a decent size! I did it not that long ago with resin intakes. 48th would be awesome, but 72 is just fine on this bird. As they had already done new molds for the other two V bombers, Im not sure why anyone was doubting the possibility of this. I realize it has been being talked about for forever, but it shouldnt be at all surprising.

I for one will be in line for this baby.

20180603_161431_zpsr8wfydpq.jpg

Edited by smokeriderdon
7 hours ago, smokeriderdon said:

. . .  Im not sure why anyone was doubting the possibility of this.

There are so many rumours around, so many wish lists on forums where in some cases people start to believe if something is said too many times.

Concerning size, remember taking in hands a 72nd scale Tu-160 kit fuselage main parts. It was like a holding a Slazenger tennis racket. Imagine the same in 48th. Don’t think I have that much space. :)

Thanks for pointing to Nov 2020. I did not have time to read through the whole announcement last night, was pretty tired after a day at our own show, speaking to millions of people, demonstrating the workings of equipment . . . It was a long (but excellent) day.

So it is a year till we see actual plastic.

Best regards

Gabor

One year till release eh... :hmmm:...heck I may build my other Airfix Vulcan in the meantime. I know I won't build it once I get the new kit. I need decals though as mine came without any.

When it is released we should do a V bombers group build or a bombers of the 50's, 60's, and 70's group build.

Happy modeling all!

On 11/9/2019 at 11:05 PM, smokeriderdon said:

OK, hold on now. Something bigger? The 1/72 kit is a decent size! I did it not that long ago with resin intakes. 48th would be awesome, but 72 is just fine on this bird. As they had already done new molds for the other two V bombers, Im not sure why anyone was doubting the possibility of this. I realize it has been being talked about for forever, but it shouldnt be at all surprising.

Well, something tells me that I'm not going to be the only modeller in this world who'll have all three offerings of the Vulcan B.2 kits in 1/48th scale once I take delivery of the Icelandic Fine Art kit... :hmmm:

However, having had an injection-moulded 1/48th scale Vulcan kit would have been the next level.

Well I am happy even though it is not my scale of 1/48. But having said that I keep my bomber mostly in 1/72 as they are plenty big enough. I may get started on my very old Airfix kit find I have a few update sets like Two Mike's resin intakes.

By the way I will have to some research but I don't think I can do a Black Buck Vulcan with this first release right?

7 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

By the way I will have to some research but I don't think I can do a Black Buck Vulcan with this first release right?

The bomb bay's full of 21 bombs in one the CAD images so Black Buck 1 and 2 should be no problem. No sign of any Shrikes yet.

16 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Well I am happy even though it is not my scale of 1/48. But having said that I keep my bomber mostly in 1/72 as they are plenty big enough.

My problem about building bombers in 1/72nd scale is that they will look ridiculously undersized when displaying them next to even 1/48th scale small jets such as the Tonka, Harrier or Hawk... not to say a thing when displayed next to the Phantom, Lightning or TSR-2. :rofl: