Airfix new tool Vulcan in 72nd scale

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:14 AM, K5054NZ said:

The bomb bay's full of 21 bombs in one the CAD images so Black Buck 1 and 2 should be no problem. No sign of any Shrikes yet.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Well I am happy even though it is not my scale of 1/48. But having said that I keep my bomber mostly in 1/72 as they are plenty big enough. I may get started on my very old Airfix kit find I have a few update sets like Two Mike's resin intakes.

By the way I will have to some research but I don't think I can do a Black Buck Vulcan with this first release right?

I think they are to do a Black Buck boxing, (c/w Shrikes & pylons) but I wouldn't expect it much before late 2021 or early 2022, 2022 being the 40th anniversary of the Falklands war. Of course there is nothing to stop you doing one earlier if you get the right markings & possibly rob a few bits from the old one.

Edited by barkin mad

I find that Blue Steel missile slung underneath the Vulcan just ruins the whole look of the aircraft. If Airfix does release a Blue Steel only version 1st then I'll pass on that release. I can do up my old Airfix in that configuration if I choose. It would be nice if the 1st release had the option to do either the Blue Steel or conventional bomber version and then on the anniversary of the Falklands war do a boxing with all the bits and bobs to do a Black Buck 1 or later Black Buck Vulcan. If they do that I'll get both boxings. Still excited for this release though! Such a futuristic looking machine even to this day.

Happy modeling all!

As an aside, it would be nice if Airfix re-released their Victor on the anniversary with markings for one of the Victor tankers that took part in Black Buck ops.

For anyone interested, this is a great documentary on Black Buck 1:

On 11/13/2019 at 5:39 AM, barkin mad said:

I think they are to do a Black Buck boxing, (c/w Shrikes & pylons) but I wouldn't expect it much before late 2021 or early 2022, 2022 being the 40th anniversary of the Falklands war. Of course there is nothing to stop you doing one earlier if you get the right markings & possibly rob a few bits from the old one.

Yeah you may be right. I have been collecting some add-ons to do the Black Buck version. My 1/72nd friend gave me some Shrikes and pylons but not sure right type. I want to do 2 Vulcans, one the Black Buck and the other the version that participated at Red Flag with the  desert camo underside. Dreams are great.

Edited by skyhawk174
On 11/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hubbie Marsten said:

:rolleyes: See the irony in it?

There already exists an Airfix 1/72nd scale Vulcan kit, whereas someone at Hornby needed to stir interest in a 1/48th Vulcan kit!

What makes you think that Airfix are to make a new-tool 1/72nd kit this time when they didn't follow suit with their own scam ten years ago...? Hellooo... somebody home up there? 

What you witnessed was a practical joke dreamed up by an online forum that someone with Airfix at the time (but long since departed)  bought into. It was a practical joke. Nothing more or less. Airfix have never, ever, ever had even the remotest notion of doing a 1/48th scale Vulcan. Ever. It was a joke. 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:34 PM, Don said:

As an aside, it would be nice if Airfix re-released their Victor on the anniversary with markings for one of the Victor tankers that took part in Black Buck ops.

Hi,

Good that a new Avro Vulcan model is on the way, but I have HP Victor question. I have looked, but I've never seen a list of the serials of the Victors that were actually used in Black Buck 1. Or the other Black Bucks.

What usually comes up is that "virtually every Victor still in use visited Asencion at some time during the conflict". But I've never seen a list of the actual Victor serials for a Black Buck mission.

Anyone?

Cheers, Stefan. 

10 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Good that a new Avro Vulcan model is on the way, but I have HP Victor question. I have looked, but I've never seen a list of the serials of the Victors that were actually used in Black Buck 1. Or the other Black Bucks.

What usually comes up is that "virtually every Victor still in use visited Asencion at some time during the conflict". But I've never seen a list of the actual Victor serials for a Black Buck mission.

Anyone?

Cheers, Stefan. 

Black Buck 1 Victors were XH669, XH672, XL162, XL163, XL188, XL189, XL192, XL232, XL511, XL512 and XM717.

-------------------

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:34 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah you may be right. I have been collecting some add-ons to do the Black Buck version. My 1/72nd friend gave me some Shrikes and pylons but not sure right type. I want to do 2 Vulcans, one the Black Buck and the other the version that participated at Red Flag with the  desert camo underside. Dreams are great.

Hi,

A pretty convenient thing about that is that it is XM607 that had the Desert camo underside for Red Flag. So, if you build XM607 in the Red Flag camo and XM597 in the Black Buck camo, you have the two aircraft that flew the Black Buck missions.

If you have dreams of multiple Vulcans, do consider the GWH/Pit Road 1/144 scale kit. It is really marvelous, and you can park 4 of them in the space of one 1/72 scale Vulcan. One of the good things about them is that they keep including the sprues with the Shrikes and pylons in the later releases.

I have a GWH Tanker version and it still has the Shrikes.

I also have the Pit Road early version with the Blue Steel missile and it still includes the Shrikes.

Cheers, Stefan.