Lately I have been using tamiya cement to fix my clear parts and it has been working well until now. I had a little too much solvent on my brush and got a little drip on the windscreen. 

What can I do to fix? Tried sanding it smooth but it looks like it changed the clear plastic into white plastic...

Thinking

1. Drill out and fill in 

2. Cover with "Oil drips" from prop (this is the AH-1Z)

3. Try to get a new part from Academy? 

tenor.gif

1 will look like a losing proposition as that's all everyone will see

2 could work assuming you're going to go all in on weathering the rest of the aircraft

3 is probably best, assuming Academy will oblige. I wish I had asked when I lost the canopy for a MiG-21MF. 

4 get some polishing pads, to 12000 grit, and polish it out. This assumes no "frames" in the vicinity or good control of the polishing pads. This works quite well. I've removed full on seams as well as scuffs from clear parts using this approach. As you start out, it will look like it's getting worse, but patiently going to finer and finer grits will eventually result in nice clear plastic. Start with a grit just finer than what you've already used and step up to 12000 grit. With each grit, you're looking to get a uniform surface finish before you step to the next grit.

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

4 get some polishing pads, to 12000 grit, and polish it out. This assumes no "frames" in the vicinity or good control of the polishing pads. This works quite well. I've removed full on seams as well as scuffs from clear parts using this approach. As you start out, it will look like it's getting worse, but patiently going to finer and finer grits will eventually result in nice clear plastic. Start with a grit just finer than what you've already used and step up to 12000 grit. With each grit, you're looking to get a uniform surface finish before you step to the next grit.

+1 on this and get some polishing paste for the final polishing. After that I wash the part in warm soapy water and rinse well. Then, finally, I give it a dunk in Future (or whatever its called these days), wick off any extra and place in a covered box to dry. If one is lucky, you'll never know there was a problem.

All this depends on how deep the effects of the cement got into the plastic in the first place.

• 2 months later...