1/24 Tamiya NSX (new NSX)

I can’t believe I am finding myself posting in the car forum after being a member here for 15 years!  I took a plunge into the “car side” because my dad owns a 1991 NSX and I though this might be a nice Christmas gift for him since he’s an NSX guy.   

Anyways, it’s a Tamiya Kit, so not much to say, other than I am using Tamiya LP paints for the first time and am very impressed!  I am modeling the car with a black interior and Thermal Orange Pearl exterior, with some carbon details.   Primary colors in the interior are Rubber Black (leather areas) Flat Black (Alcantara areas), and Semi-Gloss Black (plastic areas).

Dash
7bUdkMG.jpg

Instrument Cluster and Nav Display

tUVJIIU.jpg

Doors

A4jcKFd.jpg

Cab 

Ho1IGul.jpg

gXdt6Ly.jpg

I started adding the Studio 27 carbon decals on the engine cover.  The Studio 27 decals and thick, brittle, and not easy to use- even with scalding hot water and a liberal bath of Solvaset.  I applied two sections on the engine cover and was about to toss the whole set until I read to use a hairdryer during application.  It’s the only way to get them to conform without cracking and I’ve had much better results since...here’s where it stands now:

8mPN1fq.jpg

tllXPrz.jpg

I also started working on the engine, although I’m not sure how much will be seen in the end.  
li1IfC4.jpg

Happy car modeling!

Steve

Hair dryers and model plastic, oh I would be so paranoid! 
Being totally not a car guy and being curious what the orange color looked like I went playing in Google.

Found; https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/new-nsx-vs-old-nsx/ which has photos of a 1991 in red and a 2019 in orange.

Hmm, that's interesting,

All the haters are wrong: The new Acura NSX is just like the original NSX

By Adam Kaslikowski June 18, 2019 1:00AM PST

When the 1991 model debuted, there were a litany of complaints that sound eerily familiar to the protesting about today’s car. Once again, while very fun to drive, the car had a “mere 270 hp.” And it made “only 210 pound-feet of torque at 5300 rpm.” These are “Respectable numbers, but not extraordinary.” It was “Fast, but not a record setter.” The bodywork was “not truly distinctive.” Finally, “who wants to have to explain to the Ferrari-owning cardiologist at the country club why you bought a $70,000 Honda?”

And yet today the classic model is venerated. Why? Because neither version of the NSX were built to the world’s mundane expectations. Neither is supposed to be the numbers king in 0-60 or top speed. Nor are they designed to out-pretty a Pininfarina creation. Both have a solitary and devilishly concentrated purpose: To democratize cutting edge technology and use that tech to create a driver’s car capable of going to toe-to-toe with exotics that are double the price. That’s it.

The original car brought aluminum construction, a mid-engine layout, and driving dynamics that heretofore were only available from punishing and unwieldly sports cars that were as much a challenge to drive as they were a reward. That is what made is special in the 90’s. At them time, most exotics were very hard to drive, and near impossible to live with because they were so fragile. The classic NSX brought Japanese reliability and common sense to the sports car. That is a legacy the new car continues.

3 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Hair dryers and model plastic, oh I would be so paranoid! 
Being totally not a car guy and being curious what the orange color looked like I went playing in Google.

Found; https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/new-nsx-vs-old-nsx/ which has photos of a 1991 in red and a 2019 in orange.

Hmm, that's interesting,

The Tamiya plastic can withstand the heat from a regular hairdryer without a problem.  Here’s a picture of the Thermal Orange Pearl exterior I am modeling:

jpRb5Tq.jpg