AS-532 Cougar help please

G'day people,

I want to build a Cougar/Super Puma  and want to open the two hatches in the cabin floor. I have found some pics of the under fuselage lower door open/missing but the cabin doors installed/closed.

Whilst I am sure the loadmaster could just lean out the window to get a better I think it would also be common (and easier) for the cabin floor doors to be opened.

What I need to know is do these cabin floor doors open downwards, upwards or would they be removed altogether when the when the under fuselage winch is used?

cheers,

Pappy

20 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Can't help with your specific question, but thought this walk-around page with approx 200 pics might be useful:

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/eurocopter-as532-cougar-walk/

G'day Andy,

Thanks very much for the link. I had actually already picked over these  pictures and while there is a wealth of detail on offer, none of them were able to answer my question so unfortunately I am still looking for an answer,

cheers,

Pappy

The hatches in the floor are for sling load use, the loadmaster has a much better periferal view using the regular side doors, unless carrying said sling load needing to place it accurately. Also a massive hazard if there is an open hatch in the floor...

Cheers

Harald

18 hours ago, Winnie said:

The hatches in the floor are for sling load use, the loadmaster has a much better periferal view using the regular side doors, unless carrying said sling load needing to place it accurately. Also a massive hazard if there is an open hatch in the floor...

Cheers

Harald

G'day Harald,

Thanks very much, but do the floor hatches open upwards or downwards when used?

cheers,

Pappy

They are either removeable panels, or they open upwards. the space between the floor and the belly of the helicopter is normally filled with a fuel tank, but if a hook is installed the fuel tank is taken out (there are 2 others), and the hook then takes some of that space, so there is no room for the hatch to swing down. the style of hatch will depend on the user.

Cheers

H.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Rotorman said:

Did u try the Los Angeles Sheriff Dept website. Many photos there if i recall.

G'day Oliver,

Uhh nup, I didn't know they operated AS-532s!

Thanks for the tip,

cheers,

Pappy

The floor hatches on UH-60's open upward, it's probably pretty standard on all helos.

It would be hard to grab ahold of the hatch if it was hanging down in the hole.

Crews like to have an unobstructed view of the hook, sling and load from up top over the load to be able to communicate with the pilots about aircraft corrections to minimize the load moving.

HTH

Tim