1/72 Academy B-24 + Matchbox PB4Y-2

Hello All,

I would like to ask if it's possible to use the Academy B-24 Liberator main frame and wings (perhaps?) to convert it to a PB4Y-2, using parts from the Matchbox kit, like the front airframe, the tail, and etc?

I have the feeling that the Privateer is basically a B-24 (for instance the bomb bay?) except from the details I have just mentioned.

Any idea(s)/ help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bill (aka Sernak)

I don't want to say it's impossible but it would be one heck of an undertaking. 

Some of the things you would have to think about;

- The engines on the PB4Y-2 were rotated 90 degrees, on the B-24 the intakes were on the side of the cowl, on the PB4Y-2, they were on the top/bottom.

- You would have to use the nose (just forward of the wings) and tail (just aft of the wings) from the PB4Y-2 and graft them onto the B-24  mid section since those area's are different between the two aircraft.

- An if I'm not mistaken, the cowl shape fairing into the wing is different.

Again, not saying it's impossible but is the Matchbox kit that bad to warrant that level of effort?

"Again, not saying it's impossible but is the Matchbox kit that bad to warrant that level of effort?"

First of all, thank you for your quick response to my question.

The Matchbox kit lacks a lot of details and therefore needs a lot of improvements in and out. For instance, there was a resin set in the past that could help fix a lot of the details that the Matchbox kit lacks but the majority was for the cockpit and the engines. The airframe and the bombs' bay/ wheels wells are another story and they definitely need improvement that's why I've thought of working on the B-24 airframe.

Again, many thanks.

Edited by SERNAK
On 11/11/2019 at 2:20 AM, SERNAK said:

"Again, not saying it's impossible but is the Matchbox kit that bad to warrant that level of effort?"

First of all, thank you for your quick response to my question.

The Matchbox kit lacks a lot of details and therefore needs a lot of improvements in and out. For instance, there was a resin set in the past that could help fix a lot of the details that the Matchbox kit lacks but the majority was for the cockpit and the engines. The airframe and the bombs' bay/ wheels wells are another story and they definitely need improvement that's why I've thought of working on the B-24 airframe.

Again, many thanks.

I have the Matchbox PB4Y-2, I perused the D&S B-24 and the WarbirdTech book on the same subject.

Best thing you can do, is to use the inner details from the Academy B-24, for the rest the Matchbox is not really that bad.

There are too many differences to make it worthwhile.

If my memory serves me right, both aircrafts had similar wheel wells and I think Aires has a set of resin wheel wells in 1/72. Other than that I agree with you Hemspilot, I can use the inner details from the Academy B-24 or the Eduard's detail sets.

However, one major detail that needs to be fixed are the engines' cowlings.

Many thanks for your response. 

Edited by SERNAK
On 11/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, SERNAK said:

If my memory serves me right, both aircrafts had similar wheel wells and I think Aires has a set of resin wheel wells in 1/72. Other than that I agree with you Hemspilot, I can use the inner details from the Academy B-24 or the Eduard's detail sets.

However, one major detail that needs to be fixed are the engines' cowlings.

Many thanks for your response. 

Cobra Company Models used to make a complete and accurate resin set for the Privateer, cowlings, gun blisters and all.

33 minutes ago, hemspilot said:

Cobra Company Models used to make a complete and accurate resin set for the Privateer, cowlings, gun blisters and all.

Correct but, it's impossible to find one !!! There was a rumour that someone had the moulds and was planning to reproduce the company's detail sets but it remained just a rumour. all I can find right now is resin sets for converting an 1/48 b-24 to a Privateer.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:07 AM, SERNAK said:

Correct but, it's impossible to find one !!! There was a rumour that someone had the moulds and was planning to reproduce the company's detail sets but it remained just a rumour. all I can find right now is resin sets for converting an 1/48 b-24 to a Privateer.

Sernak, pm me on the Cobra set. I will point you in the right direction.  R/ Dutch 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:07 AM, SERNAK said:

Lone Star Models picked up the Cobra Company molds and have been slowly releasing them.  I'm not sure on the status of the Privateer detail set.

Regards,

Murph