Which brand do you guys use for gloss and flat clears?

I have typically use future as a pre-decal gloss coat but always wonder if there is something better whenever I apply it. I have also always used Testors Dullcote in the little spray can for my final flat but would like to use an airbrush applied finish. I recently tried mission models gloss but it tried to goop up in the AB which caused a panic moment, so I am wondering about it. I have considered trying tamiya flat but have read a lot of stuff about people saying that it can be bad about frosting on you and sometimes it wants to stay sticky. Can anyone tell me what has worked for them in a consistent way so that they are not afraid to use it on a model that you have worked on for months?

If you're comfortable with Dullcote, you can get bottled Testors clear lacquer in gloss, semi-gloss, and flat. Thin it with Testors lacquer thinner and you're good to go.

I used to use that exclusively, but switched a couple years ago to Mr Color Clear gloss (C46) thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, Microscale Industries Micro Satin thinned with water, and Microscale Industries Micro Flat thinned with water. I thin all paint to the consistency of 1% milk (or a tad thinner), spray at 15 psi (1 atm), from about 0.25 - 2 in. I generally use a 0.5mm nozzle (Iwata HP-TH) for primer, base, metallic. and clear coats. I rely on a 0.3mm nozzle (HP-CH) for most others usages.

Tamiya Flat Base (X-21) is NOT a clear-coat. You add it to a gloss color to flatten it. If you attempt to use it as a clear coat you'll get a cloudy coat. For Tamiya clear coats, use gloss (X-22), semi gloss (X-35), and flat (XF-86) 

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Tamiya Flat Base (X-21) is NOT a clear-coat.

Brings to mind a thing with my brother some years ago. Had a quite nicely done Tamiya 1/35 US infantry figure and he asked me, a big user of Tamiya's acrylics since I was having reactions to common enamels and lacquers, if he could use their Flat Base as a dull coat. 
I said something along the lines of, "The answer is in the name, base, not coat."
But he kept asking and asking and asking and asking for several days in a row.
So I finally said something along the lines of "If you really want to try it then give it a try."
He did.
On that figure without testing it on something else first.
He came back to me, rather upset.
Once again I said something along the lines of, "The answer is in the name, base, not coat."

I've been hearing some people swear by Vallejo clears, both gloss and flat so I bought a couple of bottles but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Does anyone have good or bad reports about using them? I'm one of those that's always just used future for decal pre-coat and then whatever spray flat I could get in a rattle can, more recently The Army Painter, which I have to say is a pretty good flat from a rattle can.

I use Tamiya X-22 thinned 50/50 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Light coat first, then a wet coat followed by a flash coat of just thinner to smooth everything out. Gives a perfect smooth high gloss finish. For flat coat I use Testors Flat Coat lacquer. Been using it for years and it has never failed me.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:17 PM, dnl42 said:

If you're comfortable with Dullcote, you can get bottled Testors clear lacquer in gloss, semi-gloss, and flat. Thin it with Testors lacquer thinner and you're good to go.

a gloss color to flatten it. If you attempt to use it as a clear coat you'll get a cloudy coat. For Tamiya clear coats, use gloss (X-22), semi gloss (X-35), and flat (XF-86) 

Have you noticed if the bottles have the same faint yellow tint that the spray cans have? 

The only thing I can get to work smoothly is the Acryl clears.  I've tried just about every other brand, but nothing cooperates like them.

I just looked at an X-29, it's all while. No indication of yellowing. Perhaps yellowing is more pronounced in a rattle can. :dontknow:

I had excellent results airbrushing Testors clear lacquers.

I am completely delighted with all Mr Color paints--but they demand very good airbrush technique. My 1st use was a disaster, but I've learned to spray them well now, and they're my primary paint choice by far.

I'm also happy with MSI Micro Flat and Micro Satin; I do find I need to thin these with water lest they bead up.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, Mstor said:

I use Tamiya X-22 thinned 50/50 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Light coat first, then a wet coat followed by a flash coat of just thinner to smooth everything out. Gives a perfect smooth high gloss finish. For flat coat I use Testors Flat Coat lacquer. Been using it for years and it has never failed me.

I have read that this gives some really good results. I am guessing that Mr Leveling Thinner must be a slower drying lacquer type thinner?? So you cannot get as good of a result by spraying a coat of straight Tamiya lacquer thinner over a finished coat of gloss? 

Chris

2 hours ago, compressorman said:

I have read that this gives some really good results. I am guessing that Mr Leveling Thinner must be a slower drying lacquer type thinner?? So you cannot get as good of a result by spraying a coat of straight Tamiya lacquer thinner over a finished coat of gloss? 

Chris

Mr Leveling Thinner is a mild lacquer thinner with a retarding agent to slow drying. Its not a strong retarding agent. I would say mild. Tamiya thinner is also a mild lacquer thinner but without a retarding agent, as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tamiya thinner worked for the flash coat too, perhaps not as well for the reasons you site, but I've never tried it. My feeling is, why mess with a know good thing :hmmm:.  One item I try to keep well stocked is Mr Leveling Thinner. It just works SO well with Gunze Mr Color, Tamiya paints, AKAN paints and just about every other lacquer based paint I know.