Hey Everyone, somehow my original post has disappeared, so I am starting this new one.  

Working through the brand new Tamiya P-38.  For the most part I will be building out of the box using the decals provided for White 147.  There have been plenty of reviews of the kit by individuals far more knowledgeable than myself, so I will refer you to those for a comprehensive overview, I will just be offering my thoughts on a few aspects of the build as I work through it.  My First thought, I LOVE the poster sized painting guide.  It's super high quality and it will definitely be on my garage wall after the end of this build.

XNBPYaY.jpg

As is traditional, I started with the cockpit.  There are quite a few pieces for the cockpit. Each piece is well detailed where appropriate and very thin where it makes sense.  Hugh props to Tamiya on the seat.  Some if the thinnest plastic I've seen used, it rivals the best resin seats.  the whole cockpit tub is so well engineered that it almost doesn't need glue to all fit together.  Well done Tamiya.  The only detailing I did here was to add some wires and cables where it looked to make sense based on my limited reference material.  

LbD8wpb.jpg

I primed all of the interior parts with Vallejo black primer and sprayed all of the parts with a coat of Vallejo interior green.  The seat and the armored head rest were painted IJA green, also by Vallejo and the details were all picked out in various Vallejo brush paints.  The parts were also given a wash of MR Color dark brown My one gripe so far with the kit is the Seat belt.  It's a decal, and it really needs to not be.  I tried applying the decal to some lead foil and cutting it out.  I'm not sold on the results, but I think it looks marginally better than using the decal straight onto the seat.  I may swap it out for a PE belt later on, but we'll see.  The decal for the instrument panel turned out much better than I expected, I did have to trim it a little to get it to align properly with the instrument bezels, but after a coat of solvaset, it was perfect.

BSAeLyL.jpg

Once all of the main components were painted I started to assemble it all together and add it to the upper fuselage.  I also started assembling and painting the nose wheel well, as the cockpit sits on top of it and makes up part of the cockpit floor.

FvwUZpN.jpg

LZ4mnki.jpg

bMew3Gh.jpg

Thats where I'm at now.  So far the fit has been amazing, and the instructions are really laid out in a way that makes sense for construction.  For example, you build up the majority of the components of the cockpit in steps 1 and 2, but parts like the seat, armor, and radio aren't added until nearly the end of the build, to keep them from being broken during handling if you don't add the canopy's early.  Just Tamiya looking out for the builder.  Although, it doesn't fit my work flow, it's nice to see that they were thinking about it.

comments and critiques appreciated, thanks,

-Brett

5 hours ago, Hammerhead11 said:

Thank you!  I’d very much like to see what you are working on, or maybe any suggestions you have noticed in your build.

I'll try to post some pics here if you don't mind. I'm doing it out of the box except for the Master machine gun barrels I added. I did have a slight gap with the nosecone and I don't know why, everything fits so precise.

3 hours ago, markiii said:

I'll try to post some pics here if you don't mind. I'm doing it out of the box except for the Master machine gun barrels I added. I did have a slight gap with the nosecone and I don't know why, everything fits so precise.

I would love to see pictures, and thanks for the heads up about the nose, I will make sure to dry fit a few times.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:02 PM, Hammerhead11 said:

I would love to see pictures, and thanks for the heads up about the nose, I will make sure to dry fit a few times.

Well I am halfway through the decals and realized I had put the horizontal stab on upside down. Luckily it was press fit on so I removed it, stripped the paint off and repainted it.

Back to decals soon.

Quick update.  I finished up the nose wheel well and will soon be closing up the forward fuselage.  I also started priming the parts for the main wheel wells.  I swear, half the part count of this kit goes into the wheel wells.  But I’m good with that.

XVfuOQR.jpg

BKUNbK5.jpg

I don’t normally paint on the spruce, but Tamiya makes it easy on this kit.  The majority of these parts will be painted aluminum, so that will be the next step.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Looks great, am following...cuz, I don't have enough to do with my other models. So I'm filling in my spare time with this article. LOL

Cheers

Thanks!  

Here is my update, sorry it’s not much.  Managed to get some aluminum paint laid down over the primer I did previously.  I used Vallejo Duraluminum.  I’ve really enjoyed the Vallejo metallic colors.  They go down great straight out of the bottle and a bottle lasts quite a while.  
zW44j59.jpg

LBGg4XU.jpg

I also managed to get the top and bottom halves of the fuselage put together.  I almost forgot the included nose weight and I’m glad I remembered before I put glue down.  The fit was phenomenal and there will be very little clean up.

VHYbB5l.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Brett

On 11/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, Loki_v2 said:

Great work!  That cockpit is impeccable.

Definitely eyeing this as next build.

Thank you!  

I was able to get a little more done tonight.  First off, I got the rest of the wing components added, so now the main wing is done.  And everything fit flawlessly.  So far the only major seam issue I’ve found is between the upper and lower fuselage just in front of the cockpit.  I tried to get this aligned properly, but I didn’t quite get it.  It will require some sanding and smoothing.

SiCmMMI.jpg

14ESu6J.jpg

next I moved on to assembling the main landing gear bays and got one completed.  These are amazing.  They are built up in a logical way and the end result looks fantastic.

jQVc5Bk.jpg

etBG9E2.jpg
I also got the supercharger pieces cleaned up and ready for paint.

9G33FxE.jpg

finally, I got the cockpit windows attached and masked using the included masks.  I will be displaying this with the cockpit open, so I used the solid center section basically to cover the cockpit and not have to cover it with masking tape.  It’s just tacked in place with a little white glue.  The clear parts all fit flawlessly.  (I feel like I’m repeating myself)

HkfWlqn.jpg

thanks for looking!

Brett

On 11/21/2019 at 7:34 PM, Hammerhead11 said:

Thank you!  

I was able to get a little more done tonight.  First off, I got the rest of the wing components added, so now the main wing is done.  And everything fit flawlessly.  So far the only major seam issue I’ve found is between the upper and lower fuselage just in front of the cockpit.  I tried to get this aligned properly, but I didn’t quite get it.  It will require some sanding and smoothing.

SiCmMMI.jpg

14ESu6J.jpg

I don't recall having a problem there and it looks like the starboard side is worse than the port side. Hope you get it sorted easily.

Said I would post some pics of mine for you, but I don't want to post in your build thread. Will post in a new thread.

6 hours ago, markiii said:

I don't recall having a problem there and it looks like the starboard side is worse than the port side. Hope you get it sorted easily.

Said I would post some pics of mine for you, but I don't want to post in your build thread. Will post in a new thread.

Yeah, it wasn’t too bad to clean them up with some sanding, didn’t need any filler, funny enough though I didn’t have any issues with the nose section like you described.  So, I’ll chalk it up to user error.  Can’t wait to see your post.

Brett

23 hours ago, Hammerhead11 said:

Yeah, it wasn’t too bad to clean them up with some sanding, didn’t need any filler, funny enough though I didn’t have any issues with the nose section like you described.  So, I’ll chalk it up to user error.  Can’t wait to see your post.

Brett

I just posted in the display case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hammerhead, nice work so far on your P-38, it all looks very thoughtfully replicated.  I like your work.

I just finished this same kit a week ago and found myself smiling to myself at each dry fit and final assembly process and how well everything fit together.  It's just a masterpiece of engineering, likely the best fitting kit I have ever built of any scale EVER.  I also strongly agree with your comment about the landing gear and gear bays....they're just amazing.  If only other manufacturers would sit up and take notice....sigh. 

4 hours ago, Salineated Michigander said:

Hey Hammerhead, nice work so far on your P-38, it all looks very thoughtfully replicated.  I like your work.

I just finished this same kit a week ago and found myself smiling to myself at each dry fit and final assembly process and how well everything fit together.  It's just a masterpiece of engineering, likely the best fitting kit I have ever built of any scale EVER.  I also strongly agree with your comment about the landing gear and gear bays....they're just amazing.  If only other manufacturers would sit up and take notice....sigh. 

Thanks, yeah this has been so much fun so far.  I just wish I had more time to work on it, but between the holidays and work and family my time has been rather limited.  However I did manage to get a little more done this weekend.

8VojdxY.jpg

I got the interiors of the radiators and oil coolers painted, once they are cured I will add some weathering.  I also got the super chargers painted.  I will add these towards the end of the build once everything is painted up and weather them further.

DPiUxj6.jpg

Also, the majority of the build is complete.  After I finish up the radiators and oil coolers I will be able to start priming and painting!  I can’t wait, one of my favorite parts.

thanks for looking, 

Brett

On 12/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

LMAOOO, I am the spirit of you, now get back to priming...

Well, did I mention I was building the night fighter version...

MS42YbD.jpg

just kidding, primer is on.  Using Vallejo’s black primer straight from the bottle.  I love this stuff, it always goes on silky smooth.  It’s still drying in the pictures so that’s why some spots are more glossy than others, but it dries to a nice satin sheen.  Once this has had time to cure I will be using the black basing method and the next step will be to add some panel high lights and patterns using a really light grey.  

I will start with the underside and work my way up to the top side.

thanks for looking,

Brett

17 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

I've had issues with their primer. I use the Mr Color 1500 black or white. mix if necc for grey; love them.

Looking good.

I‘ve never used the Mr Color primers, I’ll have to give them a try.

well, I actually had a few hours to work on The P-38 tonight:

hi3ILqk.jpg

I got the high lights added to the top and bottom of the plane, landing gear doors, drop tanks, and prop spinners.  This is my first real time using this method on an entire model.

ERAE3Hr.jpgHere is the lowered surface done.  Used MIG neutral gray.  This was my first time using MIG paints and I was very surprised how nice it laid down.  And it dries really fast.

Hg5CI9T.jpg

Blue tac is one of my most used tools in model making.  I use it to some degree on every kit I build.  I must say though, the P-38 is a tough kit to mask.  It really stretched my blue tac abilities.

qJQHpkW.jpg

Here it is all masked and ready for the upper surface color.

nx9ujnx.jpg

And here we are with paint!  Used MIG for this as well and I’m really happy with it.

so, I’m my limited research of this airplane, I came across an interesting picture of it:

Zotz+P-38+Miss+virginia++(8).jpg

Notice the lighter lines along the panel lines.  Well, I wanted to try and replicate that.  So, here we go:

uxyZza2.jpg

Tape on.

G8paHUk.jpg

So, I misted on some slightly darker shade of the base color and removed the tape.  I didn’t do every panel line, but I think it conveys the idea.

H4Psqzl.jpg

And here it is with all of the masking off.  Well, it was a fun few hours and I managed to get a lot done.  Once this all cures I will hit it with a gloss coat and start the decals.

thanks for looking, 

Brett

7 hours ago, Hammerhead11 said:

so, I’m my limited research of this airplane, I came across an interesting picture of it:

Zotz+P-38+Miss+virginia++(8).jpg

Notice the lighter lines along the panel lines.  Well, I wanted to try and replicate that.  So, here we go:

Tape on.

G8paHUk.jpg

So, I misted on some slightly darker shade of the base color and removed the tape.  I didn’t do every panel line, but I think it conveys the idea.

And here it is with all of the masking off.  Well, it was a fun few hours and I managed to get a lot done.  Once this all cures I will hit it with a gloss coat and start the decals.

thanks for looking, 

Brett

Very impressive!!

Looks great!!