After market burner cans

I used the Aires set but used the burner cans from the Hasegawa set as the ones from the Tamiya set were too large in diameter and wouldn't fit in the fuselage. They look just fine. In general, you can't go wrong with Aires sets (unless they have fit issues).

As always, KA Models makes exquisite looking nozzles, but you'd have to by a set of each, open and closed, as they don't have a "varied" set. Also, the burner cans themselves are two piece affairs. You can get the nozzles separately though and use some other burner cans.

Katran makes a real nice looking set. If they had been available when I built that part of the kit, I would have bought those.

Eduard also makes a set, but I have not seen any photos or reviews and all they show is 3D CAD drawings.

3 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

As Mark has said. I vote for the Katran bits. They're awesome.

It never fails. I wait around, hoping that more aftermarket will be coming out for a kit. Finally I decide I can't wait any longer and as soon as I have the aftermarket set I first bought installed, a new better looking one is released by someone else. So, sometimes if I have a kit that won't be built for a while, I keep buying newer and better aftermarket parts for it. I'll end up with two or three sets of wheels or exhaust nozzles. I'm a sucker that way. :doh:

Edited by Mstor

Those Katran nozzles have some really funky shapes and the shroud parts have some strange grid panel lines that don't exist on the real thing...

- Closed nozzles aren't fully closed and close at a strange angle and have a kink, kind of like the kink in the F-15 featherless nozzles.

- Open nozzles have too long extension of the inner petals.

The 2 that I think are tops are:

- KA. They have both the exhaust and full exhaust with tubes. They are amazing looking. There is the slightest step in the nozzles to shroud but it's almost not noticeable if done right. The tubes and  final stage burners are works of art.

- The Eduard Brassin set is about the best designed and fitting ones I've seen. They capture the complex shape and curves very well. I'd say these overall are the best bang for buck. And designed for the Tamiya kit. They fit perfect and improve on the already very well done kit parts.

2 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Those Katran nozzles have some really funky shapes and the shroud parts have some strange grid panel lines that don't exist on the real thing...

- Closed nozzles aren't fully closed and close at a strange angle and have a kink, kind of like the kink in the F-15 featherless nozzles.

The 2 that I think are tops are:

- KA. They have both the exhaust and full exhaust with tubes. They are amazing looking. There is the slightest step in the nozzles to shroud but it's almost not noticeable if done right. The tubes and  final stage burners are works of art.

- The Eduard Brassin set is about the best designed and fitting ones I've seen. They capture the complex shape and curves very well. I'd say these overall are the best bang for buck. And designed for the Tamiya kit. They fit perfect and improve on the already very well done kit parts.

Didn't realize the Katran ones were that off. Glad I didn't end up using using them now.

9 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Funky shapes? Mind you elaborating further on, mister?

3zuNvK4.jpg

These are the open ones for the Hasegawa kit, and the funny thing is that the picture of the inner petals for the open nozzles on the real thing which is at the back of the sleeve have got just as long an extension as on the resin bits.

645on0E.jpg

Strange grid, if wrong - which I don't think they are, could always be filled and sanded.

Edited by Hubbie Marsten

The grid of panel lines you see on the on the Katran sleeves should be, I believe, either rivet or welding lines. You can see them in some photos where they have been painted over with some sort of anti-corrosion paint. I don't think they should be actual panel lines. As far as the inner petals on the "open" nozzle. I have seen many photos of them in that position. It think it is an intermediate stage just before fully open and occasionally, when shut down, the nozzle doesn't fully open. I see it most often in photos of the engines going into full afterburner. Probably just before full afterburn is reached. Often you will see one engine completely open and the other almost but not quite there when the photo was snapped.

P.S. See page 26 of Detail & Scale No.9 F-14A & B Tomcat for an example of the  pattern of lines on the engine sleeves. I believe there is also an example in the Lock On F-14 booklet.

P.P.S. See page 34 of Squadron's F-14 Tomcat Walk Around for an example of a stopped engine with the nozzle petals in the position seen on the Katran open nozzle.

Edited by Mstor
  • 1 month later...

Приветствую всех, я немного не понимаю, почему они так критически относятся к моим открытым соплам и не любят, что они очень продвинутые. Когда я их сделал, я взял эти фотографии за основу.

F14-Jet.jpg

F14-Jet-Engine-DSC00998-2013-2-X2.jpg

6703914937-76053ab451-b.jpgвременный хостинг изображений

f14can2-1.jpg

And here is my 3D model

1.jpg

2.jpg

And to write that Eduard is the best is a sin, whom else would I take? This is K.A. (Mk.1 Design)

Edited by Katran