MH-65D Dolphin "HITRON" in 1/72 by Dreammodel

Some pictures of my recently finished MH-65D Dolphin by Dreammodel in 1/72. Overall I was quite pleased with the kit, although there are some things that either don´t make sense, or have only minor details, or are simply missing.

The construction phase was quite nice, I added some stuff in the cabin to give it a crowded look:

EPNACUX.jpg

Since I didn´t had a M14 rifle, I simply used a German G3, which looks quite the deal in this small scale. For the M240 I ordered some aftermarket stuff by Miniworld that really impressed me:

7S1skjT.jpg

OKB Grigorov provided the sniper rifle:

sd6GZ8B.jpg

Pilots were added and the fuselage halves closed, but at that point I noticed the Dolphin was a tail-sitter. To counter that, I added a a small lead ball (fishing weight) that I disguised as some sort of buoy, seen here behind the pilots seat:

iHlU4vR.jpg

Another close-up of the now painted M240:

V0mjEvy.jpg

A search-light had to be added from the spare box:

HDsRHXN.jpg

You can also see here the wheels, which have no details at all, and the floatation devices. These didn´t come with the kit, I simply cut out some thin paper in the correct size and glued it on the hull.

A "bungee cord" for stabilizing the M82 was done with an elastic thread:

Y1yfcxL.jpg

Decals were fine and good to use, although the sheet misses the white stripes below the cabin and front doors. And if you are doing the "white" USCG-version (Retro-scheme), you won´t have the red diagonal stripe for the tail...

Anyway, pictures of the finished model:

RIDlBFt.jpg

Z3YFOEq.jpg

hK4Fat2.jpg

HNP9ddp.jpg

DTtT6DB.jpg

sv7mWTK.jpg

Ilh3ITj.jpg

pEjT6KJ.jpg

0bZ0VEU.jpg

dyY05uO.jpg

9bZp2nv.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks great for 1/72 Hajo, only minor gripe from a former 65 guy is that the LH lower windscreen isn't quite right. the forward edge of the window should be about even with the ram air scoop on top of the nose, in the real helo thats where the battery resides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Hajo

Do you recall your kit having a second PE fret containing items 43 to 48, as seen in the instructions below? Looking at your model, I think I can see the side panels - I just received my kit (new and sealed) from a retailer on eBay, and it doesn't have those parts...

DM720005_4.jpg

DM720005_5.jpg

@andyf117, I did a kit-review in a german forum, but you can see the PE-parts. So, yes, I got that parts in my box.

http://modellboard.net/index.php/topic,62127.0.html

@Rotorman

I brush-painted the orange. A friend of mine airbrushed the white base, and I later finished up with the brush-coat.

HAJO

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

@andyf117, I did a kit-review in a german forum, but you can see the PE-parts. So, yes, I got that parts in my box.

Thanks, Hajo. I'd been looking for something with clear pictures of the contents - my kit only contains the larger PE fret, so seems I'm missing the two smaller ones...

....and whilst the smaller injection sprue is in the same grey plastic as yours, the larger one is moulded in Salmon pink!

4 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

@Rotorman

I brush-painted the orange. A friend of mine airbrushed the white base, and I later finished up with the brush-coat.

HAJO

Looks good. I have been thinking about an orange helo but i hear Orange is a hard color to work with.

I have only brush-painting experience. It worked well, because I had a matt coat of white as base. And it propably is a better idea to use matt orange for brush painting too. If you paint gloss coat, the new layer will not really "stick" to the first layer, resulting in some parts having much more color coating than others which have nearly none.

@Andy: Those parts could propably be replicated by using paper. All you´ll be missing are some rivets.

HAJO

4 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

@Andy: Those parts could propably be replicated by using paper. All you´ll be missing are some rivets.

I've contacted the retailer asking if he can supply the missing items out of another kit (he still had a couple shown in stock) - at the end of the day it wasn't a cheap kit, even though his price was lower than others are selling it at...

....if push comes to shove, I could make replacements from thin plastic card - in similar fashion to the strengthening strips on my UH-3H - but I'd still need a template to work from...

22 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I've contacted the retailer asking if he can supply the missing items out of another kit (he still had a couple shown in stock) - at the end of the day it wasn't a cheap kit, even though his price was lower than others are selling it at...

....if push comes to shove, I could make replacements from thin plastic card - in similar fashion to the strengthening strips on my UH-3H - but I'd still need a template to work from...

Andy, I have these parts; I have not used them. If you pm me your home adress, I can send them to you.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, GeejeeZ said:

Andy, I have these parts; I have not used them. If you pm me your home adress, I can send them to you.

A very kind offer, thank you - PM sent!

Update edit - a big 'Thank you' to @GeejeeZ who's sent me the two missing PE frets, and is sending another meaning my MH-60T will also have a rescue basket in it!

Edited by andyf117