Mach2 1/72 VC10 Standard & K2 Tanker

Sorry Ray, I somehow missed this!  I found it on a Japanese website who had a Jan 2020 availability date.  Now that I have been over to Britmodeller and Airlinercafe, I see the announcement threads.  I still have my Airways Vac 1/72 VC10 C1 (still in the box) from the late 1970s, so I may get one of the Mach2 tankers to see how it fares.  I understand from the Britmodeller forum thread that a few AM producers are lining up to cast improvements, and I am sure SAC will release a metal u/c set as well.  Just need to see what Ray in the UK [26Decals] will produce for markings.  I have my heart set on a B.Cal Standard. K/r, Dutch

3.JPG.98275f9db811f64c9281406bf32c8973.JPG

All good Brother Dutch,

It seems the VC-10 experts over at BM have found some issues with shape of cockpit windscreen. I know Air Graphics (UK resin manufacturer) are doing cockpit internals, entry door area and landing gear/wheels for it. They announced them a few weeks before Telford, most assumed they were for the Anigrand or Airways kits, not so.

Hi guys.

I have already spent too much money for the Mach2 Viscount and the Caravelle. Trust me I think I'll have more fun to scratchbuild those airliners than try the Mach2 way.

Perhaps at half the price I would by one, but at 100 US$ is a nonsense.

Who has the Airways Vac is a lucky guy.

7 hours ago, dylan said:

... snuck in a few L1011 pictures when they were drawing up the CAD.

Sure they use CAD?

Cheers

Euge

Not so sure the Airways Vacform is a better alternative...  Tried building one decades ago, and that too has the bloated cockpit section as well as a wing profile that would prevent the aircraft to ever leave the ground if it matched the real thing.  Dynavector quality it sure wasn't...  I see reference to an Icelandic Fine Art Models, but can't find any photos of the pattern or what was displayed at Telford.

Jenshb,

I agree with you. The Airways VC-10 has its issues, but you may consider how much you paid for, comparing with the Mach2 cost.

When you start a challenge with a vac kit, you exactly know what you are facing and you hope not to find the same problems with an hi priced injection kit.

Just my 2 cent.

Eugenio

I was excited about a 1/72nd VC-10 until I read Mach 2. My friends have a couple of their kits and they don't have good things to say about them. I have seen them too and modelling life is too short to fight with these.

I wonder if Airfix might grace us with a new one in the coming years? I have their original 1/144 version and it is okay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked at the Mach 2 VC10 at Telford, it has some issues, but can be built into a good rendition with a lot of filler and alterations, especially the nose and the vertical tail which is to rounded, as the actual aircraft is sharp at the base of the tail curvature then is rounded at the top near the T tail, the engine attachment points are also to straight at the front and should be angled and at the back should then be straight. But it is a Mach 2 kit which we all know needs lots and lots of tender care and patience LOL

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, VADM Fangschleister said:

I will defer to your expertise.  You obviously have a better handle on it than me.

Thank you for your assistance. 

I would agree with Smeds, and the top photo looks reversed.

I believe Didier has corrected the nose profile by changing the angle of the windscreen, he also has tried to change the engine stub wing by giving it more of an angle, but by doing this he has made the back of the stub wing the same profile as the front, where as on the VC10 it is more or less straight at the back, for a £80 kit, does a modeller really want to fork out more money on correction resin bits, although most of the errors can be rectified quite easy, unless they are not bothered about the errors, and more than happy just to have a VC10 rendition in their collection