CD48170 - 1/48 AH-64D/E Apache

On 11/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, AD-4N said:

(I know, I know.  It was in the plans for months.)  🙂

No, it wasn't - thanks for your suggestion. I had collected a bunch of photos, but did not have concrete plans to design a sheet this soon. I can work remarkably fast when I really like an idea.

Edited by KursadA

Not trying to push, but you brought up the production speed; so how quickly will the 72nd sheet follow this one?

Probably going to have to buy some more of those great Academy kits!!! One for each scheme; oh do you have stock in Academy???  😉

Thanks

On 11/18/2019 at 10:56 PM, achterkirch said:

Would you be willing to add RNLAF D’s to it with the low viz rundel?

I looked into this, but the low-viz roundel has a couple unique colors that are not shared by any other element on the sheet, driving up the cost of the sheet beyond what I had planned - sorry.

A 1/72 version of this sheet will be available in the batch of releases following the 1/48 one; so it should be available sometime in February.

Edited by KursadA
11 hours ago, KursadA said:

I looked into this, but the low-viz roundel has a couple unique colors that are not shared by any other element on the sheet, driving up the cost of the sheet beyond what I had planned - sorry.

A 1/72 version of this sheet will be available in the batch of releases following the 1/48 one; so it should be available sometime in February.

Thanks for checking it out at least!  

Excited to try my hand at the 50 shades of fresh olive drab/dark gray/dark tan/deck tan/faded olive drab/oil stain/touch up paint jobs the U.S. Army Apache's seem to sport.   Next to well worn Tomcats and Hornets, they seem to offer nearly endless weathering fun.   Unless it comes straight out of the factory, no Apache seems clean.  No amount of weathering is overdone!

These decals will be a real hit, I predict.  

6 hours ago, AD-4N said:

Excited to try my hand at the 50 shades of fresh olive drab/dark gray/dark tan/deck tan/faded olive drab/oil stain/touch up paint jobs the U.S. Army Apache's seem to sport.   Next to well worn Tomcats and Hornets, they seem to offer nearly endless weathering fun.   Unless it comes straight out of the factory, no Apache seems clean.  No amount of weathering is overdone!

These decals will be a real hit, I predict.  

One drawback is that all of the US Army options require the current "sugar scoop" exhausts; which apparently has only been included in one particular boxing of the Hasegawa kit (07414). I am sure Hasegawa will include these in an updated release of their Apache plastic, though. 

On 11/22/2019 at 10:59 PM, KursadA said:

One drawback is that all of the US Army options require the current "sugar scoop" exhausts; which apparently has only been included in one particular boxing of the Hasegawa kit (07414). I am sure Hasegawa will include these in an updated release of their Apache plastic, though. 

I didn't catch that.  I will be on the lookout for "sugar scoop" editions of the Hasegawa kit.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Another brand-new release waiting in the wings - I had the AH-64D/E sheets in hand for almost a month, and hope to release them in April as soon as I finish dealing with the delays I am experiencing due to the pandemic. 

apa1.JPG

apa2.JPG

apa3.JPG

Edited by KursadA

I've scrounged the internet for the Hasegawa US Army "E" Guardian kit but no cigar.

What is the best way of replicating that kit?  Is there an aftermarket kit available that can work with a "D" model?    Or is there another option available?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, FlyAndFight said:

I've scrounged the internet for the Hasegawa US Army "E" Guardian kit but no cigar.

What is the best way of replicating that kit?  Is there an aftermarket kit available that can work with a "D" model?    Or is there another option available?

Thanks.

I don't have a good answer. The ASPI exhaust mods have been in the field more than 10 years now, and I was expecting a Hasegawa rebox or at least some aftermarket to address this issue by the time these decals were ready. 

I don't know if Hobby Link Japan still sells individual Hasegawa sprues, as Japanese kit suppliers usually sell them separately. All the parts you need are on the U/V/W sprues, which Hasegawa has so far only included in the US Army AH-64E kit (07414).

Armycast has done the ASPI exhaust in 1/72, but not 1/48. BlackDog has done a host of really nice AH-64 detail sets but not the ASPI exhaust. These two companies are good candidates to contact and ask.

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

For those of you unlucky, like me, to find a Hasegawa Apache in 1/48 with sugar scoop exhaust, Bam-models.com has released a set.

Thirty Euros or so from France to Salt Lake City.  

I have no financial interest in Bam-models.com nor do I know if they’re accurate.  Just passing on the intel.

• 6 months later...

Sold out! Thank you for your interest in this sheet. Unlikely to be reprinted in the next 18-24 months, unless Hasegawa surprises us by repopping the kit with the ASPI sprues.

A 1/72 scaled-down version is definitely coming this year.

Get one from the resellers while they still have some stock. 

• 4 weeks later...