My next projects.

I've never attempted to build two models at once but, considering they're so much alike, I decided to give it a try.

The S-3B will be a VS-29 aircraft from "OEF", 2001/02 timeframe.

edited-image_zpsm1hmf2ah.jpg

edited-image_zps8decayrg.jpg

edited-image_zpsatz0xior.jpg

The ES-3A will be a VQ-5 aircraft from @ 1994 timeframe.

edited-image_zpsu2jf0lwm.jpg

edited-image_zpsztarwtrd.jpg

Thanks to everyone who shows interest in my work and hoping you'll all enjoy the builds with me.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
37 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Cool!

I'll be watching, as well.

John

Much appreciated. I'm trying to add an update but all I keep getting is the "Internal Server Issue" screen again. 😡😡😡

Steve

Be careful with the CAM decals. I used the VS-21 about the same vintage as your -29 sheet and they just shattered. For sure hit your sheet with a thin coat of decal film. 

Those Aeromaster decals should be fine. I used the black tail -21 decals to rescue my CAM decal disaster and they worked fine . 

Cheers

Collin

5 minutes ago, Collin said:

Be careful with the CAM decals. I used the VS-21 about the same vintage as your -29 sheet and they just shattered. For sure hit your sheet with a thin coat of decal film. 

Those Aeromaster decals should be fine. I used the black tail -21 decals to rescue my CAM decal disaster and they worked fine . 

Cheers

Collin

Will do Collin, I always do a "test decal" ( one I won't be using) before I use the ones I'll be needing.

Steve

Just now, longmc said:

This should be good! I've got both kits in the pile waiting for some inspiration

Thanks for following.

I've got updates to share but, the site will not allow me to do so. This is getting VERY frustrating.

Steve

Airframes mods for the S-3B and ES-3A. The ES-3A did not have chaff/flare buckets installed. The resin pieces are from Phase Hanger Resin.

edited-image_zpstqtzk60j.jpg

edited-image_zpszpctiasv.jpg

edited-image_zpsz0m0jitu.jpg

edited-image_zpsxrumnucr.jpg

edited-image_zpsw6qkxyuj.jpg

edited-image_zps8uk8ci1x.jpg

edited-image_zpsgv3o9t9r.jpg

Edited by A-10 LOADER

For some strange reason I can't add a lot of text to explain my pics, all I get is the "Internal Server Issue" screen every time I try. However the pics seem to go thru. I'll just have to keep my text explanations short I guess.

Steve

Just now, JohnS said:

That's frustrating for sure.  I guess you'll have to look on the bright side - more time for modelling.

John

It is John. I just wish someone could tell me if it's an issue on my end or the site ?

Steve

9 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

... I just wish someone could tell me if it's an issue on my end or the site ?

Steve;

Have you tried posting to another modelling site?  That will tell you whether it's this site's problem, or not.

John

45 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Steve;

Have you tried posting to another modelling site?  That will tell you whether it's this site's problem, or not.

John

Good tip John. I just posted on another site, LSP, with no issues.

Steve

Good project there Steve. Whose detail sets are you using for the intakes? I looked at your pictures and can't see where those pieces are from.

Also I am sure you know how big these will be when done right? I built the original ESCI kit when it came out and thank goodness my display case i deep as it barely fits.

Oh and not sure if you are aware, when Italeri got these moulds from ESCI they changed the smoke density on the canopies. The pieces are way too dark, well at least on the AMT ES-3A for sure. Squadron had a replacement canopy but not sure if it is available still.

11 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Good project there Steve. Whose detail sets are you using for the intakes? I looked at your pictures and can't see where those pieces are from.

Also I am sure you know how big these will be when done right? I built the original ESCI kit when it came out and thank goodness my display case i deep as it barely fits.

Oh and not sure if you are aware, when Italeri got these moulds from ESCI they changed the smoke density on the canopies. The pieces are way too dark, well at least on the AMT ES-3A for sure. Squadron had a replacement canopy but not sure if it is available still.

Hey Chris,

The intakes are by RHINO Modelworks, part #RM48009.

Yes, I realize their size. I'm trying to hunt down 2 Wolfpack wing fold sets for them. Sprue Bros. is out of stock of them until late December.

The Shadow glass is much darker than the the S-3B but, I think the S-3B's glass is too light IMO. The Shadow's glass depends on how the light hits it. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

What really pisses me off is the Eduard photo-etch cockpit placards. They are all gray panels when they should be black and, why do you get decals for a 1/48th cockpit, WTF ?!?!

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
11 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

As a retired S-3A/B Viking SENSO/RAG Instructor, I'll be watching with interest.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy, I'll try not to dissappoint.

12 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Are you going to do the post ASW Mod (remove most of the sono-tubes, remove the MAD Boom, etc)?

Yes, post ASW.

Steve

19 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Hey Chris,

The intakes are by RHINO Modelworks, part #RM48009.

Yes, I realize their size. I'm trying to hunt down 2 Wolfpack wing fold sets for them. Sprue Bros. is out of stock of them until late December.

The Shadow glass is much darker than the the S-3B but, I think the S-3B's glass is too light IMO. The Shadow's glass depends on how the light hits it. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

What really pisses me off is the Eduard photo-etch cockpit placards. They are all gray panels when they should be black and, why do you get decals for a 1/48th cockpit, WTF ?!?!

Steve

Steve thanks for the info. Sorry by intakes I meant the ones on the underside. Or are those exhausts.

Also as for the decals in the cockpit, this kit was originally released by ESCI in 1980 so at that time that was what ESCI did. Detail sets exist to update the cockpit but I believe that is for the S-3B version. Yeah I am not a big fan of the Eduard cockpit sets as they are too flat I think.

20 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Steve thanks for the info. Sorry by intakes I meant the ones on the underside. Or are those exhausts.

Also as for the decals in the cockpit, this kit was originally released by ESCI in 1980 so at that time that was what ESCI did. Detail sets exist to update the cockpit but I believe that is for the S-3B version. Yeah I am not a big fan of the Eduard cockpit sets as they are too flat I think.

Hey Chris, I tried numerous times since yesterday to answer your question with pics but, I keep getting the Internal Server Error screen over and over again. The resin screen, on the underside and, the resin APU exhaust are part of a conversion set made by Phase Hanger Resin.

Steve