Building the AMT Shadow, along with my Italeri Viking.

The electronics bay doors ( weapons bay on the S-3 ) are molded incorrectly. The bulges ( the sides with the cooling vents ) should be on the sides of the fuselage, not the underside I believe. The doors fit really well installed incorrectly but, the vents/bulges are wrong. I'll be using some .040" plastic strips to fix the issue.

Steve

edited-image_zpsdviklmmy.jpg

edited-image_zpsvww4bxot.jpg

edited-image_zpswia4xivb.jpg

edited-image_zpsjdr4zfqk.jpg

3 hours ago, Niels said:

Never captured this before, but seems from this photo you are correct; 
ES-3A_Shadow_VQ-6_in_flight_off_Florida.

Thanks Niels. I saw this picture along with one I have in my reference books.

Hopefully I can blend the repair in so it's not noticeable, fingers crossed.

Steve

Electronics bay doors corrected with .040" plastic sheet.

Steve

edited-image_zpsardow0as.jpg

edited-image_zpss9ais8ry.jpg

I also had to make the wingtip "towel bar" antennas out of some scrap black wire. The kit ones broke cutting them off the sprue.

edited-image_zpsnr8h0ekk.jpg

Edited by A-10 LOADER
17 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Great work there. I did not know that issue with the weapons bay doors. Good catch. Gotta remember that when I start mine.

Thanks very much Chris, glad to help.

Steve

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2020 at 1:01 PM, Aigore said:

Oh wail, I can't see the pictures 😞

Sadly Photobucket issues yet again !! 😡 I've been told they're working on the issue ( I've heard that one before).

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 1:14 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

<...>

I also had to make the wingtip "towel bar" antennas out of some scrap black wire. The kit ones broke cutting them off the sprue.

edited-image_zpsnr8h0ekk.jpg

I guess it was good luck that they broke. These here from wire are bound to look far better than any plastic part could. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

I guess it was good luck that they broke. These here from wire are bound to look far better than any plastic part could. :thumbsup:

Agree and, these won't break or need paint, just a flat coat. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Greetings all,

Since my woodworking project is on hold for now (waiting on parts in the mail) and, Photobucket is cooperating again I can share some additional items acquired for these builds.

A good friend of mine, Dave Aungst, gave me this for the S-3B. I just couldn't use decals for a 1/48th cockpit.

edited-image_zpsqctxco1r.jpg

I also ordered a Wolfpack cockpit for the ES-3A, again not using decals.

edited-image_zpsmvcixgug.jpg

I also ordered a much better fuel tank for the ES-3A since the kit one was horrible. The other two tanks will be used for a future EA-6B build.

edited-image_zpsmkud7tgv.jpg

Hopefully my woodworking project will be finished up in the next few weeks so I can get back to these two builds. Thanks for having a look.

Steve

Managed to get a few things done today.

Adding the swaypads to the pylons. These will be adjusted to fit the stores. The small holes drilled in the pylons are for attaching the store (ARS buddy pod, Harpoon, fuel tank) and, the large hole will be for a piece of tubing which will represent the fuel connection between the tank and the pylon.

edited-image_zpsyqkpakm0.jpg

edited-image_zpsobmqcjel.jpg

The Brengun fuel tanks are a nice step up from the kit ones also.

edited-image_zpsco47e8qa.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, now that my woodworking projects are finished (for the time being), I was able to get back to the bench.

I fitted the Phase Hanger MAD boom blanking plate to the S-3B.

(edited)%20IMG_6668.JPG

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Sorry for these multiple posts. I'm still trying to figure out Photobucket's "new and improved"  (strongly disagree) site rework. It seems whenever I post a photo I can't add more text for the next set of pics.

Anyway, I also managed to finish up the wing pylons and their stores (which are secured to the pylons with small wires). Some scratch-building pieces added for interest. I also drilled out the rocket motor area of the Harpoon and added a piece of tubing with a cap on it.

Steve

(edited)%20IMG_6670.JPG

(edited)%20IMG_6671.JPG

Today's update, working on the Black Box cockpit for the S-3B. I've been sanding the casting blocks off the pit itself along with the seats, center console and, the ejection seat rails. The ejection seat rails are glued to the tub, the seats and console are posed for the pic. I still have to add some parts to the seats yet. Trying to get things ready for primer and paint. I've been dry-fitting the cockpit tub to the fuselage halves and I believe it should fit pretty good, we'll see.

Thanks for having a look and following along with my project.

Steve

(edited)%20IMG_6674.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds