On 6/2/2020 at 11:09 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

(edited)_IMG_6760.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6761.JPG?width=1920&height=

Hi Steve,

First of all, my congrats for the work you have done so far!! 

Any ideas why the floor on both cockpits has this tan-brown hue (primer perhaps?)?

10 minutes ago, SERNAK said:

Hi Steve,

First of all, my congrats for the work you have done so far!! 

Any ideas why the floor on both cockpits has this tan-brown hue (primer perhaps?)?

Thanks Sernak.

As for the floors in the cockpits, I have no idea. I just went with my reference pics. I'm sure Vidar 710 or Collin would have an answer for us.

Steve

22 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Thanks Sernak.

As for the floors in the cockpits, I have no idea. I just went with my reference pics. I'm sure Vidar 710 or Collin would have an answer for us.

Steve

Well, let's just wait and see what the lads have to say about the floor's colour!!!

Bill (aka Sernak)

From what I remember (and told the builder) was that the floor was a crappy plastic, thin, lenolium-like covering.  It was a very-very dirty tanish color from what I can remember.  I flew a lot of S-3B's in many commands and very few of them had close to new floor coverings (RAG/VS-41 probably the cleanest, our birds in VX-1 coming in a close second).  Most were pealing, grimy, boot stained, puke/vomit stained, oil stained, you-name-it-stained, and worn down to the bare metal in places.  The wells where the pilot and COTAC placed their feet were typically worn down to metal in places, same in the back tunnel (although I think that was just non-skid back there, that had bare spots and sometimes little holes that poked though to the bomb bays below) and on the steps/crawl area between the SENSO and TACCO stations.  Trust me...the inside of a well used S-3B looked like the back end of a construction pick up truck bed.  Lots of nicks, scratches, broken plastic in places, dust, grime...but it was home for a lot of us and was very cozy on late night flights when you had all the lights dimmed down and just the red glow from the front...and the gloomy green tint from the back seat displays.  

Good times.

Cheers

Collin

Many thanks for the clarification Collin and for the memories!

My ex-wife used linoleum a lot for her printmaking. I didn't like it because of the smell it had!! So, in 20.000+ feet I can think of one reason why you would want to puke!!!

Collin is correct, he did relay this info to me a while ago. My memory sucks these days, my apologies guys. He has also been a great help with my questions as well, thanks Collin.

Steve

5 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Collin is correct, he did relay this info to me a while ago. My memory sucks these days, my apologies guys. He has also been a great help with my questions as well, thanks Collin.

Steve

No worries....Love helping folks with the plane I loved flying in.  

...and the puke really didn't come at 20,000'....it came at 200', on very hot/humid days dropping sonobuoys/EXTORPS on EMATTs off of Barking Sands....with a pilot that only knew the the primary 6 levels of control (full aft, fwd, port, stb, mil, and idle).  I loved "PigPen" turned into a great stick...but we called him Binary Pig for a reason...and he got us all sick.  I preferred more senior pilots that were a little smoother on the controls.

Cheers

Collin

Greetings all,

I managed to get the Wolfpack resin wings epoxied to the ES-3A's fuselage halves today. I also finished up the cockpit with gluing in the seats and the pilot's flight stick.

Thanks for having a look.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_6762.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6763.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6767.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6765.JPG

Hi Steve,

Nice work so far!!! Seeing the photos on the first page of your build I noticed that something is missing (read below)!!!😄

What's "missing" is the 'Metallic Details' wheel bay and bomb bay for your Vikings! I hear a lot about these two resin sets and about their prices BUT, still I want to see better quality photos and who's more ideal to help with this matter than you!!!

Therefore, my question is, do you have them? If not, do you plan to buy them?

Keep up the good work!!!

Bill

Thanks Sernak, appreciate the kind words.

I've never heard of "Metallic Details" before. I only know of the Black Dog sets. So, to answer your questions, no and, no.

The ES-3A does not carry any munitions, ELINT bird only.

My S-3B will have 4 MK-82's in the bomb bay. I didn't feel comfortable cutting out the kit to add the Black Dog bomb bay and, you really won't see much of it when she is sitting on her gear anyway.

Steve

On 3/16/2020 at 3:54 AM, Vidar 710 said:

FYI. Shadows had no offensive weapons capability. I suggest a buddy store on the port side and a drop tank on the starboard.

Tracy

Sheesh...like you would know lol.

Andy

39 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Thanks Sernak, appreciate the kind words.

I've never heard of "Metallic Details" before. I only know of the Black Dog sets. So, to answer your questions, no and, no.

Steve

You can search for them on Ebay. It's an Ukrainian company that produces them. They seem to be 3D-printed but, their prices are way off my budget.

21 minutes ago, titan8251 said:

Very nice man! Love the war Hoover.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy.

6 minutes ago, SERNAK said:

You can search for them on Ebay. It's an Ukrainian company that produces them. They seem to be 3D-printed but, their prices are way off my budget.

I did a google search for them. They are 3D printed, very nice and, kinda expensive. That's a lot of money to ruin something and, this is my first time at attempting two kits with folded wing sets so, one thing at a time.

Steve

Small update for tonight,

I got the tail hook well glued together and dry-fitted that and the cockpit into the Shadow's fuselage. I'll have to stop here, on the Shadow, until I receive my new canopy from Italeri so I can check the fit of everything before I epoxy in the cockpit and close up the fuselage halves. For now I'll jump back on the S-3, thanks for following along.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_6768.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6769.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Work has been slow and tedious on the Viking. I'm currently sanding all the seams on the fuselage and all is going well.

Since I used the Black Box cockpit on the Viking, the front instrument panel is twice as high as the kit one. This means I cant use the kit front coaming and, I had to scratch-build a new one. I have very limited space between the glass and the edges of the instrument panel.

I started out by cutting a template out of card stock first to get an idea of what needed to be accomplished.

(edited)_IMG_6773.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6771.JPG?width=1920&height=

Here's the finished part. I used .020" sheet plastic and made cuts, folded the angles and, glued it all together so I had one piece when I was finished. I sanded it all down to make as much room as I could between the glass and the plastic.

(edited)_IMG_6774.JPG?width=1920&height=

I also installed the overhead console to the canopy glass with some 5 minute epoxy and also scratch-built the GPS antenna for the top of the canopy, the ES-3A got the same antenna.

(edited)_IMG_6775.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6776.JPG?width=1920&height=

Thanks for having a look.

Steve

Progressing nicely! Great info on the floors... they really took a beating from everybody, both aircrews and maintenance alike.

Had to chuckle a bit on your cockpit ref material images and descriptions. The narrative about the S-3B’s pilot display is inaccurate. Only the most basic symbology was displayed on it, and there was a limit on how much could be sent to it from the other crew members. No sensors could be displayed on it - It was not an MFD (multi function display)... just a basic symbology repeater.

looking forward to seeing more. I have a very special Viking I need to build myself.

Tracy

On 7/7/2020 at 2:04 AM, Vidar 710 said:

Progressing nicely! Great info on the floors... they really took a beating from everybody, both aircrews and maintenance alike.

Had to chuckle a bit on your cockpit ref material images and descriptions. The narrative about the S-3B’s pilot display is inaccurate. Only the most basic symbology was displayed on it, and there was a limit on how much could be sent to it from the other crew members. No sensors could be displayed on it - It was not an MFD (multi function display)... just a basic symbology repeater.

looking forward to seeing more. I have a very special Viking I need to build myself.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy, much appreciated and glad it meets your approval. That must mean I'm doing it right. Once Photobucket decides to play nice again, second day in a row, I've got updates to share.

Feel free to "chime in" anytime to keep me on the correct path. Between you and Collin I should be good to go.

Steve

Good evening all, hope everyone is safe and well.

Slowly making progress on the dual builds. Sanding seams, re-scribing and, adding some "panel fastener" details to both airframes. I also reworked the "canoe" antenna fairing for the top of the Shadow.

Enjoy the pics and thanks for checking in.

Steve

S-3B

(edited)_IMG_6781.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6782.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6783.JPG?width=1920&height=

ES-3A

(edited)_IMG_6785.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6786.JPG?width=1920&height=

The ES-3A "canoe" BEFORE

(edited)_(edited)_IMG_6778.JPG?width=192

And after filling a few seams and adding the access panels (both sides) for the ALR-81 antenna.

(edited)_IMG_6779.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6787.JPG?width=1920&height=

Doing some dry-fitting of the Wolfpack wing fold set, for my S-3B, so I can get the proper height of the wings when folded because I need to make some wing strut bars for extra support and, these struts would have been installed if the jet was not flying that day.

These wing sets are beautifully cast, drop right into place and, are THE BEST resin items I've ever used on a model to date !! Well done Wolfpack, maybe other resin companies should take note.

I would assume the other set, for my ES-3A, will fit just as well.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_6790.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6791.JPG?width=1920&height=

(edited)_IMG_6792.JPG?width=1920&height=

14 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Tempting!!! Very tempting work (to a point that can make me change my mind and convert my S-3A to an ES-3A)!

That's a tough one SERNAK, there's a lot of lumps, bumps and, antennas needed for the Shadow that the S-3 doesn't have, not to mention the electronics bay doors.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER