Thanks Sean. To me the struts seem to attach to the same spots on either side of the spine and the wings, towards the front edge. I'd really like a picture taken, up on the spine of the jet, showing me exactly where these struts attach to the jet.

Steve

My wing strut dilemma,

From the reference pics I've found, I believe my holes drilled in the spine are correct ?? Disregard the red dots, they are in the wrong spots.

(edited)_IMG_6920.JPG

This is my starboard side wing with the strut I made. According to my reference pics that I've found, it shows the strut attached near the oval wing access panel.

(edited)_IMG_6919.JPG

Starboard side wing and strut installed, looks correct to me comparing it to the pics I've seen.

(edited)_IMG_6917.JPG

Port side wing with attachment point marked by the red circle.

(edited)_IMG_6921_LI.jpg

However when I use the starboard side strut on the port side wing, it's way off the attachment point, too far to the back of the wing.

(edited)_IMG_6922.JPG

So, my question is what did I do wrong or are these struts, which seem to be adjustable, different lengths when installed on the aircraft ??

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to make some progress over the last few weeks, albeit slow but, still progress.

Both jets got their walkways painted.

(edited)_IMG_6934.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6935.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6936.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6937.JPG

The Viking's MK-82's, Harpoon and, the Refueling pod were all finished. I had to go back and redo the bomb noses ( painted this time ) because I tried to use decals for the two yellow bands and it was a disaster. I should have painted them in the first place like I normally do, lesson learned.

(edited)_IMG_6943.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6948.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6953.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6954.JPG

I really wanted to see the painted 82's in the bomb bay so ...

(edited)_IMG_6938.JPG

So, that's about it for now, thanks to everyone who is staying interested in these builds.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Steve

Greetings all,

A brief update, I spent my afternoon working on finishing up the wing fold struts for the Viking and Shadow. I never did get a definitive answer on whether the struts were adjustable in length or their exact locations but, I believe they are fairly close.

(edited)_IMG_6955.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6960.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6959.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6961.JPG

Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Year and hoping that the new one is better than the last. Thanks for following along.

Steve

35 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Greetings all,

A brief update, I spent my afternoon working on finishing up the wing fold struts for the Viking and Shadow. I never did get a definitive answer on whether the struts were adjustable in length or their exact locations but, I believe they are fairly close.

Playing around on the web just now there may be a couple informative photos here; the next to last and 4th from last,

https://www.skytamer.com/Lockheed_S-3B.html

One also shows fitting on end of brace nicely.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:30 PM, southwestforests said:

Playing around on the web just now there may be a couple informative photos here; the next to last and 4th from last,

https://www.skytamer.com/Lockheed_S-3B.html

One also shows fitting on end of brace nicely.

Thanks but, unfortunately the photos won't open for me. Besides, this part of the build is in the rear view at this point and I need to move on. I'll just have to live with what I have so far and hopefully when the jets are all finished, the struts will look passable.

Steve

Greetings all,

I've decided to build another display base for the Viking and Shadow.

I thought this MD-3 Navy Tractor (short version ) would be a nice touch. I scratch-built a better gas and brake pedal for it as well as adding some tie-down points and the hood lift handles out of some wire from the spares bin. All of this will sit on a section of carrier deck that I have in my stash.

Thanks to all who are staying interested in my work.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_6963(1).JPG

(edited)_IMG_6962(1).JPG

(edited)_IMG_6964(1).JPG

A little more progress on these projects today,

I finished up the stores for the ES-3A. The pylons still need their weathering / corrosion control yet.

(edited)_IMG_6970.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6971.JPG

Since the SkunkWorks kit comes with two MD-3 Tractors, I decided to throw the other one together and get them both out of the way. They were primed yesterday and painted today.

(edited)_IMG_6976.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6977.JPG

Usually I would tackle these after the jets were finished but, since I'm having some motivational issues, I figured if I knock these out of the way now it would re-energize me to get busy on the jets again. I just wish I could build faster so my motivation wouldn't fall off.

The jets / tractor(s) will be posed on this when everything is finished. I've had this in my stash since 1994 I believe, it's time it sees the light of day.

(edited)_IMG_6965(1).JPG

Steve

Brief update today on the MD-3 Tractors,

Yesterday I sprayed the tires, the steering wheels, seats and, the tops of the tractors. I used my circle cutter to make masks for the wheel hubs, worked out great. I also started painting up the small details on the tractors as well. Still lots to do and some touch-ups to take care of. Decals are up next.

Thanks for checking in and enjoy the pics.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_6982.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6979.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6986.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6980.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6988.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6984.JPG

On 1/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, Rocketdrvr said:

Sweet looking TUGs!

Thanks Rocketdrvr, glad you like them.

I wrapped up the two A/S32A-31A Tractors this morning and I'm quite happy with how they came out. I didn't want them to look exactly the same so I finished one a little more "used and abused" than the other. They should add a little something to the S-3 / ES-3A display when finished. I'll also be able to pose them with any future Navy builds I do.

All the paints are Model Master enamels with the exception of the front headlights which are Tamiya Clear Blue. Decals are mostly from the Fightertown sheet #48088, USN DECK CREW / VEHICLES while some are from the kit. The "weathering" is a mix of Tamiya weathering master sets, Flory's "DARK DIRT" wash and, some drybrushing. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_6994.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6995.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6996.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6997.JPG

(edited)_IMG_6998.JPG

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 1/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Some beautiful work there!!

Cheers AFM

Thanks, much appreciated.

I finished cutting the base to size yesterday and, added all 56 tie down spots. This will have to wait for warmer weather to be primed and painted.

(edited)_IMG_7002.JPG

Now I can turn my attention back to the S-3B and get her masked off for primer and paint. Thanks to all who are following along.

Steve

Yesterday I spent masking up the Viking so I could spray the canopy area and the "problem areas" that still need attention. I used Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 primer because the canopy area needs to be black before the gray can go on and, it helps me see the problem areas easier. I'm hoping these areas won't require too much work and I can get the primer sprayed soon, fingers crossed, we'll see.

Thanks to all who are following along.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7003.JPG

The area where the Wolfpack wings meet the fuselage needs to disappear.

(edited)_IMG_7006.JPG

Lots of small areas around the sonobuoy tubes that need attention yet as well.

(edited)_IMG_7007.JPG

Brief update for today, we have a primed S-3B. A couple of small areas that still need minor attention but, overall she looks good. I'm hoping to have color on her in the next few days.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7009.JPG

Yesterday I got everything sprayed Lt. Ghost Gray. Happy with how things are looking so far. Next up I'll need to spray the tip of the tail, the canopy / anti-glare panel area and, the wheel bays and bomb bay areas then I can gloss coat.

The engine intakes are absent because in my chat with Phase Hanger Resin on Friday, he said he'll be making the intakes with the fans and the center spinner (similar to his upcoming A-10 parts) as separate parts for ease of painting and, no seams, SOLD.

Thanks to all who are staying interested in my work.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7010.JPG

After some masking and two days in the paint barn, the canopy area / anti-glare panel, tip of the tail, the bomb bays and, the wheel wells are now painted. Next up will be masking and painting the wing fold areas.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7015.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7018.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7017.JPG

On 2/5/2021 at 8:57 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Looking awesome sir.

Cheers

AFM

On 2/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, Dutch said:

Steve, i love seeing all this progress!  You use simple techniques to really bring out the details.  Thanks for sharing with us. K/r, Dutch

Thanks very much guys, much appreciated.

I finally got the last of the colors on the airframe. Wing-folds painted along with the flap areas. Next up gloss coat then decals.

Thanks everyone for following along.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7020.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7022.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7021.JPG