On 2/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, f5guy said:

Looking good Steve! 👍 Fred.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, Rocketdrvr said:

Outstanding Job!!!  Really enjoying your build!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys, very much appreciated.

Check off another box in the build process, the decals are finished. Now she's starting to look like something. I'm not sure how I managed to screw up the length of the piece of plastic used for the slime light behind the wing ? I measured the decals before adding them to the airframe and the ones on the nose and tail fit, anyway it is what it is at this point but, it really bothers me. I'll make sure to double check the ones on the Shadow so I don't have the same issue. Enjoy the pics.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7025.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7026.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7027.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7028.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7029.JPG

Awesome work Steve! I just finished a quick catch-up on your build as I have not been spending much time on the forum these days. All the work you've done is really paying off and your results are nothing short of impressive. The topcoat grey looks really good; what are you using Model Master?

Looks like now that you've laid down a coat of gloss you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Elmo

Friendly reminder, the rear canopies are Gull Grey.  😉

That's on the inner surface only because they are still clear canopies. The Gull Grey paper was stuck to the inner surface for light blocking.

TPS Viking, note the rear canopy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_S-3_Viking#/media/File:Air_Zoo_December_2019_119_(Lockheed_S-3_Viking).jpg

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
On 2/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, wardog said:

Awesome work Steve! I just finished a quick catch-up on your build as I have not been spending much time on the forum these days. All the work you've done is really paying off and your results are nothing short of impressive. The topcoat grey looks really good; what are you using Model Master?

Looks like now that you've laid down a coat of gloss you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Elmo

Thanks very much Elmo.

2 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

Friendly reminder, the rear canopies are Gull Grey.  😉

That's on the inner surface only because they are still clear canopies. The Gull Grey paper was stuck to the inner surface for light blocking.

TPS Viking, note the rear canopy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_S-3_Viking#/media/File:Air_Zoo_December_2019_119_(Lockheed_S-3_Viking).jpg

Tracy

The TACCO / SENSO windows will be one of the last painted items after everything else is flat coated, thanks Tracy.

Steve

Good afternoon all,

Today started the "weathering" process of the Viking. I thinned down some Dark Ghost Gray and lightly mottled the jet and her parts. It's hard to see in the photos but, it's more noticeable in person. Since this is only my second attempt ever at doing this ( my 1/18th scale Tomcat was the first ), I'm still trying to find that stopping point without going overboard. Things will look different with the flat coat on so, we'll see how I did. I still have more weathering and corrosion control to do after the flat coat goes on.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7033.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7034.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7035.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7036.JPG

Got the majority of the paintwork finished up and worked on some weathering, still lots to do but, she's getting there. Always nice to see the canopy unmasked and no issues.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7037.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7038.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7039.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7040.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7041.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7042.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7043.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7044.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7045.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7047.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7048.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7049.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7050.JPG

18 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Looking good sir!!

Cheers

AFM

14 hours ago, Rocketdrvr said:

Really like what you have accomplished with this build!  A pleasure to view with each update!

Thanks very much guys, greatly appreciated.

Steve

Bomb bays wrapped up and the MK-82's installed. Worked on some of the small details as well, tail light and belly light painted, AoA probe is the tip of a needle, added another coat of red to the light up by the front windscreen and, also glued the windshield wiper arms back on. Slowly getting there, thanks for following along everyone.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7056.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7057.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7053.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7054.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7055.JPG

13 hours ago, Janissary said:

Looking so sharp. I am especially impressed by the clarity of the canopy. 

The red and blue lights at the nose and tail tip, how did you paint them? Looks so good. 

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

Those clear lights were sourced from my spares bin. I glued them on prior to priming. I coated them with Mr. Hobby Mr. Masking Sol R then, once all the airbrush work was completed, I chipped off the masking film and painted the lights with Tamiya clear blue and a brush. Nothing special really.

Steve

Got her on her gear today finally. Also finished painting the wingtip details and added the static dischargers to the horizontal stabs. I still need to add them to the wings and the tail of the jet. Finally, got the safety pins, with their streamers, finished for the main gear and the tailhook.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7061.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7063.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7064.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7060.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues slowly. Got the bomb bay doors and main gear doors glued on. I also added the static dischargers to the wings.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7070.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7068.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7071.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7073.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7074.JPG

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 3/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, f5guy said:

She's a beauty Steve! You're doing the old Hoover justice 😉 Fred.

Thanks very much Fred, much appreciated.

I think I've reached my stopping point on the S-3B for now. I'm still trying to figure out how to paint the two small side windows, next to the 700, so they look good. The small, tight corners of the windows, are the challenge. I'm also waiting on the Phase Hanger Resin intakes ( coming in the springtime ) so I can wrap up the engines. I've also rethought the starboard side loadout, with advice from a NFO from VS-29. I'm going from the Harpoon to a TER with three MK-20's instead. I want to install the engines and the outboard wing pylons, with the jet on it's back. Once those are installed I can flip her back over on the stand and, work on the wing fold items and set the wings.

Time to get back to the Shadow and get her to this point as well.

Thanks to all who are staying interested in my work.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7077.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7076.JPG

ROCKEYE were my fav.

Steve...as you know the ROCKEYE had two different types of nose fuzes...the MK339 and the FMU140.  

While I dropped a lot of MK339 fuzed ROCKEYE...when we flew armed in the Gulf around '97-'98 (actually just looked in my logbook...it was Feb-June '98), we only loaded up FMU140 armed ROCKEYE (when we did).  They were the new HOF/HOB type fuze that had a completely different look than the small tit-like MK339.  Most of your kit and aftermarket MK20 ROCKEYE canisters still have the older MK339 fuze with small red nose cone that went over it while on deck.

The link below I posted pics of what the FMU140 looked like with the white cover that went over the nose.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/profile/1546-collin/content/page/11/&type=forums_topic_post

Another good pic of one on a Harrier during preflight below:

http://cactustactical.blogspot.com/2017/01/weapons-of-war-in-afghanistan-cluster.html

Load em Up!!!

Cheers

Collin

27 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Thanks for the pics Collin, I'll need to modify the MK-20 noses somehow. Were the small fuse setting windows not on these because I don't see them ?

Steve

Somewhere on that darker nose ring just behind the cream colored nose cone are two little function toggles that you set the time to arm and height of burst if I remember correctly (it's been a long time).

In 1/48 scale...you get the darker and lighter colored nose correct....you win.  

Cheers

Collin

Parts are in for the Viking's starboard side loadout. Plus, I have to get caught up on the Shadow as well.

I did find a solution for those side windows, I used the Shadow as a template and cut myself 4 paint masks. Fingers crossed these yield good results.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7079.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7078(1).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some progress made on the TER and the MK-20's. I added the pins to the MK-20's, drilled the holes in the TER, everything lines up nicely. I had planned on modifying the Eduard fuse covers for the FMU-140 fused Rockeyes but, they got damaged so,  I ended up making new covers out of some bits of 1/8" Evergreen rod. Next step is to get the TER and bombs painted. Thanks for looking in.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7084.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7083.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7082.JPG

(edited)_IMG_7086.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 8:18 AM, Janissary said:

Can't wait for the final reveal. 

Me too.

Calling these down for now. I'll do some "corrosion control" on the TER when I paint the Shadow.

I replaced the firing leads for the breeches using some fine wire. I scratch-built the FMU-140 noses out of some 1/8" plastic rod turned in the dremel. I think I did a pretty fair job representing them and, I like the look better than the Harpoon.

Now I can focus strictly on the Shadow and get her caught up with the Viking.

Thanks for your continued interest in my work.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7091.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7092.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7093.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7094.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Edited by A-10 LOADER