18 hours ago, Aigore said:

Outstanding!

Very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, SERNAK said:

Beautiful work Steve.

I particularly like the weathering you have applied. it must have taken you quite sometime to study, experiment, and apply the right hues.

:thumbsup:

Thank you.

Since I didn't have a picture of either of these two actual jets, I used bits and pieces from various reference pics I have on them. The painting process was pretty straight forward. The hard part is knowing when to stop before you've gone too far.

Steve

Greetings all,

Small update for today but, still moving forward on these.

I flat coated the upper TACCO / SENSO windows on both jets and also painted the small side operator's observation windows. I kept going back and forth on how to paint these small windows and, what color to use? There was no way I was going to be able to hand brush them without leaving brush marks so, I finally decided to use the pre-cut masks I made for them so I could airbrush them. I had to trim down the masks so they wouldn't come in contact with any decals. I mixed up some Model Master enamel Semi-gloss Black and sprayed two coats on each window. They are not perfect but, they are a lot better than if I had painted them by hand.

There are a few small things to address on the ES-3A and then she'll be caught up to the S-3B. At that point I guess they both will be put on hold until Phase Hanger Resin puts out their resin intakes (fingers crossed).

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7218.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7219.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7221.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7220(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Hi Steve, awesome progress! Hadn't checked in for a while; I'm really liking what you've done and the weathering is really making it pop. Not sure how much practical experience u have at weathering but your results are looking really good. 

These builds have been nothing short of complex and time consuming; glad you've stuck to it!

-Elmo

3 hours ago, wardog said:

Hi Steve, awesome progress! Hadn't checked in for a while; I'm really liking what you've done and the weathering is really making it pop. Not sure how much practical experience u have at weathering but your results are looking really good. 

These builds have been nothing short of complex and time consuming; glad you've stuck to it!

-Elmo

Thanks very much Elmo, again high praise from someone such as yourself.

Actually these two are my second attempt at "weathering" Naval aircraft. The first being my 1/18th scale F-14B conversion.

I never was a fast builder so, throw on top of that research and compiling info on the subjects and the builds time-span really grows. I just wish I didn't have to put them on hold waiting for intakes. I really want to get them finished and put them behind me.

Thanks for your continued support.

Steve

19 hours ago, BastianD said:

Just stunning! Well done 🤩

Much appreciated, thanks.

Unfortunately, these two jets are now on hold until Phase Hanger Resin puts out their S-3 intakes. 😢 ( fingers crossed ) I suppose I can do some work on their display bases in the meantime.

My plan was to finish the intakes and mount them to the engine pylons. Then I can flip the jets on their backs, epoxy the engine pylons to the wings and, mount the outboard pylons as well. Then I planned on flipping the jets back over and installing the wings and the wing fold parts. Everything else is already finished and just waiting to be installed.

I'm hoping to get these jets done sooner than later but, at this point, it's out of my control.

I really appreciate everyone's kind words and for following along to this point.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dekon70 said:

I contacted PHR last week about the S-3 intakes and was told they are on hold until he catches up on orders.  So hopefully soon.

Yes, Mike and I text fairly regularly and I've been asking for updates. He's busy getting ready for the Nationals and said after that he'll get them done, hopefully before the end of the year.

Steve

• 2 months later...

STILL waiting for resin intakes to be produced for these guys, very frustrating to say the least. ☹️ I want to get these two jets finished up because I have a VERY hard time starting something else before the latter is finished.

Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Looking again at your photos from the almost finished builds I understand that was has impressed me about the weathering is not the technique but instead, how close your work to resembling the actual hues of the various maintenance patches we see on the various photos has come.

Great work man!!

On 11/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, SERNAK said:

Hi Steve,

Looking again at your photos from the almost finished builds I understand that was has impressed me about the weathering is not the technique but instead, how close your work to resembling the actual hues of the various maintenance patches we see on the various photos has come.

Great work man!!

Thank you Sernak, much appreciated.

Steve

16 hours ago, Collin said:

What are you working on while your Vikings are laid up?  

Cheers

Collin

Some interior wood trim for two windows and a sliding glass door, that I just installed today, glad that's completed. I'm also doing a re-paint of a 1/18th scale JSI "Spot Cat", for a good friend. She'll be F-14A, AJ-100, VF-41, 162608, "Fast Eagle 100" during "OEF", October 2001. She's close to being finished.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Greetings all,

I decided to knock the dust off these guys and give the resin intakes I already had from Rhino Modelworks a try. With careful cutting and sanding I'm pretty satisfied with how they came out. I have a little blending to do but, nothing crazy.

The "push" is back on to finish these two builds up and, get on to the next.

These intakes are for the S-3B, I have to do the other set for the Shadow yet.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7302.JPG

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 12/19/2021 at 1:30 PM, wardog said:

Great work and coming along nicely, Steve. Can't wait to see this project finished! What's next??

Thank you very much sir. It is time to wrap them up.

One of these two might become the next one on the bench ? Not sure yet.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7207.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

On 12/19/2021 at 4:50 PM, Da SWO said:

Happy to see this one start up again.

Threads like this are why a forum is better then FB.

Thanks, I agree. I do share WIP pics on FB but, not as detailed as here, the forums are better for that.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:42 AM, kurnass77 said:

Wow , such a beauty!

Great attention at the details.

Thanks kurnass77, glad you like my work.

Steve

Great work, Steve, nice to see more progress on this build.

ResKit is producing a cockpit replacement for the F-111 in January; I would love to see your work on the HB kit.

Thanks for sharing

5 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Hi Steve,

It's always nice to see the progress of your builds!!! Keep them coming!!!

3 hours ago, cruiz said:

Great work, Steve, nice to see more progress on this build.

ResKit is producing a cockpit replacement for the F-111 in January; I would love to see your work on the HB kit.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Cruiz, Yes I'm anxiously waiting on the RES/KIT replacement part for my F-111. Hopefully by the time I get these two jets finished up, it will be out.