Great Wall Hobby F-15C MSIP II (4817) Ordnance?

Hi All,

I have the Great Wall Hobby S4804, Limited Edition, F-15C Air National Guard Jeff Hwang kit.  I haven't actually pulled the kit apart to verify this (it's still in its box), but I don't think the S4804 kit has any ordnance.  I see that GWH F-15C MSIP II (4817) kit is available, which it seemed not to be for some time, and I assume that THAT kit does come with at least some ordnance.  Can anyone tell me what ordnance is in the 4817, and whether ordnance is the only difference (besides, decals, of course) between these two kits.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Curt B
Changed 'ordinance' to 'ordnance'.
50 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

remember he is the guy who's email came out after shooting down the Serbian Mig-29s, who said he didnt care if the pilots "morted" or something like that. 

"Morted"...? :suspicious:

Anyway, Curt, get the Fairy-Hobby canopy correction set for your GWH F-15C kit before is OOP.

1 hour ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Anyway, Curt, get the Fairy-Hobby canopy correction set for your GWH F-15C kit before is OOP.

Thanks to all of you, and Hubbie in particular about the canopy.  I've just looked for the canopy on eBay and elsewhere, and it looks like it's no longer available.  I have written the creator of that canopy directly, so maybe I'll be in luck!  

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

S4804 looks like it does come with weapons.  You can compare this link to the one for 4817 that flanker27 posted.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10335682

Thanks, Dave.  I guess I'll need to open my 4804 box and check for weapons/ordinance, as the post you pointed out shows sprue shots with same.

4 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

“Morted” i.e. “died”.  

Not surprised he felt this way at all.  The other guy is trying to kill you.

Edited by Falconxlvi
3 hours ago, Curt B said:

I've just looked for the canopy on eBay and elsewhere, and it looks like it's no longer available.  I have written the creator of that canopy directly, so maybe I'll be in luck!  

Never mind, Curt. Pretty sure that Haneto will have a new batch coming out soon. Those pieces are really awesome. 

32 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

“Morted” i.e. “died”.  

Kind of figured it had to do with death, it's just that the term is quite of a strange language/verb tense mix, like "Morton", or something, isn't it? What nationality is this guy in question?

2 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Never mind, Curt. Pretty sure that Haneto will have a new batch coming out soon. Those pieces are really awesome. 

Kind of figured it had to do with death, it's just that the term is quite of a strange language/verb tense mix, like "Morton", or something, isn't it? What nationality is this guy in question?

Thanks for the idea about the canopy....I saw a comparison between the GWH canopy, and his version, and it's quite different!

Regarding Capt. Hwang, he is a U.S. Air Force pilot, but I don't know if he was born in the U.S. or a naturalized citizen.  I'm guessing that if such a term as 'morted' is used in place of dead or killed, that that may be a pilot or military slang.  

23 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

He’s an American.  
https://www.142fw.ang.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2000978365/

It’s fighter slang derived from the world mortality.  If you die in training (or combat) you are referred to as a “mort”.  You can use it as a noun or a verb- you hit the simulated floor in training, you “morted yourself”.  It’s just common fighter terminology.  👍🏻

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

“Morted” i.e. “died”.  

I believe the issue was foreign press represented it as he wanted to kill them and was blood thirsty, rather than he had no issues with them dying as its part of warfare. I believe the language differences and using the term "morted" caused confusion, most fighter pilots I've met would prefer to shoot their opponent down and hope they eject safely, (unlike the guys who shot at Boyington  when he was floating down in his chute, but thats another story) There were other issues/claims I think a F-15E strike hit a passenger train or almost did which riled up a lot of people. Lots of Americans don't know we fought  a 3rd world war in Europe and created hard feelings over it, NATO struck without any UN approval, there was ethnic cleansing on both sides and it was part of a centuries old conflict. We also "accidentally" bombed the Chinese Embassy, I am pretty sure we would not get mixed up in this if it happened today.  I have travelled there and my best friend grew up there.  I have the Fairy Hobby Conversion set, it was easier in the olden days when your only choice was Tamiya or Hasegawa. I believe the current F-15C of choice is the GWH, but I heard the seats were a little big, and the current best E model is the Revell or GWH.  The war is fascinating from a modeling standpoint, we've got numerous types of NATO aircraft up against a few Mig-29s with the "pepsi" markings, at least 2 USAF aircraft shot down, and facing a european style opponent 

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There are no ordinances in any of the GWH F-15 kits. Some kits have ordnance, but no ordinances. The city I live in has ordinances, but no ordnance. 

LOL  Dave, thanks for the English lesson...seriously.  I usually pride myself on my vocabulary...and I'm chagrined to learn I messed that up!!!

Just so people get what you were writing about...I'd referred, in my initial post, to 'ordinance' rather than 'ordnance'.  Dave corrected me, as he should have, and I appreciate it, and I edited my post so as not to look overly ignorant.

Edited by Curt B
7 hours ago, Curt B said:

LOL  Dave, thanks for the English lesson...seriously.  I usually pride myself on my vocabulary...and I'm chagrined to learn I messed that up!!!

Just so people get what you were writing about...I'd referred, in my initial post, to 'ordinance' rather than 'ordnance'.  Dave corrected me, as he should have, and I appreciate it, and I edited my post so as not to look overly ignorant.

In hind sight though, I should have put a smiley face. Happy to see you took it as the lighthearted jab it was intended to be.

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

In hind sight though, I should have put a smiley face. Happy to see you took it as the lighthearted jab it was intended to be.

Of course!!  😊😊

On 11/17/2019 at 5:10 AM, Dave Williams said:

S4804 looks like it does come with weapons.  You can compare this link to the one for 4817 that flanker27 posted.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10335682

Anyone noticed that the instructions would have you put the main undercarriage units in the wrong side, i.e. LHS in RHS and vice-versa. 😡

Cheers

Phil

On 11/16/2019 at 7:01 PM, Falconxlvi said:

It’s fighter slang derived from the world mortality.  If you die in training (or combat) you are referred to as a “mort”.  You can use it as a noun or a verb- you hit the simulated floor in training, you “morted yourself”.  It’s just common fighter terminology.  👍🏻

Steve

Also used as an adjective, aka a floor mort.  Besides being common, it's also pretty old; the term mort dates back to at least the 1980s.

Regards,

Murph

There is an issue with the canopy? Great. I avoided paying out the nose for their E because it had issues (cant remember exactly what they were). From what I read, GW fixed those issues and are not present in the C. But now you guys say it has canopy issues????

How the $@#%^&$ is it that these supposed brand new toolings that are the best ever of MODERN freaking planes have errors???? ZM cant get the hind end of a Phantom right. GWH cant get stuff on 15s right. And yet they charge 70 bucks and more. I mean its not like these are esoteric WWII planes that have only one partial air frame left in existence.

Edited by smokeriderdon
On 11/25/2019 at 9:06 PM, smokeriderdon said:

There is an issue with the canopy? Great. I avoided paying out the nose for their E because it had issues (cant remember exactly what they were). From what I read, GW fixed those issues and are not present in the C. But now you guys say it has canopy issues????

I really feel your pain. These isues have happened more times than I like to admit, lately, with regard to new-tool, EXPENSIVE kit releases.

Bad news is that the canopy on the GWH F-15C is wrong. If you take a good look at the pictures provided in the instruction sheet by Fairy-Hobby you'll see it by yourself. The windshield is wide and shallow on the kit, with a strange shape when looked from either the front or aft. The height on the middle canopy section is too pronounced and tearshaped-like. Of course it carries out the wrong width of the windshield as well. 

And once you have the correction set to compare and graft onto the GWH kit, the differences between one and the other will smack you in the face.

Good news is that talented people like Yufei Mao exists on this blue marble. :worship:

Get in touch with Haneto for a set. They're really worth the spent quid.

Oh, I appreciate that folks make corrections for this stuff.  But I am loathe to spend more money on top of the 80.00 (counting shipping) I already spent just on the kit. I shouldnt have to. I am honestly at the point where I will just sell it before I spend more money on it. I can manage a wonderful looking C without an over priced mistake.

I wholly concur. It's just that windshield/canopies sometimes define the look of the aircraft, and they're the most difficult parts to try and correct - I've had the good old (and cheap) 1/48 Monogram AV-8A kit converted into a GR.3 before I realised that the windshield sucked big time. Tried fixing it by blowing some molten PETG over a piece of balsa with the correct shape and the fixing turned out to be worse than what the kit piece was.

Something alike happened to me while building the Monogram 1/48 Thud, Hobby Boss 1/48 FB-111A, Kinetic 1/48 SHar and I'd really wish not to recall how many more kits I bashed while trying to correct the clear pieces on them. 

All,

FYI, I did contact Haneto to find out where/when the replacement canopies that have been discussed in this thread may be available.  As I recall, he wrote back to tell me that there aren’t any canopies left, and there are no plans to make more.  I can’t locate the message he sent at the moment, but I’ll look later to give you exactly what he said. The bottom line, though, is that it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to get any canopies for the F-15 from him in the near future or probably at all.  

I don’t have s problem buying updated parts.  I’d like to get perfect parts in every model I buy, but we live in an imperfect world.  Doogs suggested that we all boycott the Kitty Hawk Su-17/22 because of the defects in THAT model, to try to wake up THAT manufacturer to the displeasure of potential customers.  Maybe that’s one way to get these kinds of things addressed.  Of course, there are those manufacturers who fix their problems just because it’s the right thing to do (morally or business-wise).  Too bad not every person or business thinks this way.   If a company is making an acceptable profit without fixes, they may just ‘let it go’...

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Curt B said:

FYI, I did contact Haneto to find out where/when the replacement canopies that have been discussed in this thread may be available.  As I recall, he wrote back to tell me that there aren’t any canopies left, and there are no plans to make more.  I can’t locate the message he sent at the moment, but I’ll look later to give you exactly what he said. The bottom line, though, is that it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to get any canopies for the F-15 from him in the near future or probably at all.  

Oh, that's too bad! There go my chances of ever buying yet another GWH 1/48 F-15C as well.

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

Doogs suggested that we all boycott the Kitty Hawk Su-17/22 because of the defects in THAT model, to try to wake up THAT manufacturer to the displeasure of potential customers. Maybe that’s one way to get these kinds of things addressed. Of course, there are those manufacturers who fix their problems just because it’s the right thing to do (morally or business-wise). Too bad not every person or business thinks this way. If a company is making an acceptable profit without fixes, they may just ‘let it go’...

I really dig Matt; it'd be awesome if we, as modellers, could boycott manufacturers turning out crappy kits, but then I understand that we would never get to agree on what's crappy and what is not with regard to a kit.

For instance, I think that the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-17/22 kit is quite difficult to build - the landing gear assembly/attachment alone is a nightmare, but I'm much more interested in its shape accuracy. It's really accurate shapewise; it really captures the looks of the Fitter like no other kit in 1/48th scale (hello, Hobby Boss. Nice try, but no cigar).

Now, when you get an over-the-average, expensive kit like the 1/48 GWH jet range which suck in the clear part department it really makes you wonder. What about the long-awaited AMK Tomcat kit that some modellers still won't admit that it's got serious issues and are still willing to buy it just as it is?

Point is moot, I guess...