Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Curt B

'Aluminum Lacquer' vs. 'Natural Aluminum' - Eduard

Recommended Posts

Hey All,

 

I've just begun doing pieces/parts of the new 1/48 Eduard P-51D.  At the back of the instructions, on page 19, the instructions show the places on the aircraft that they call Aluminum Lacquer, and the other spots where Natural Metal Finish is supposed to show on the plane.  Do any of you have a 'best choice' for the Aluminum Lacquer color?  

 

I plan to use a variety of AK Xtreme Metal colors on various panels in the areas identified as 'Natural Metal Finish', but i'm at a loss as to what paint to use to cover the 'Aluminum Lacquer' parts of the plane.  I was thinking just use the Mr. Color Silver paint, but now I'm not sure.  That's what the instructions suggest (either C008 lacquer or H008 aqueous acrylic).  Does anyone have any thoughts about what the metal paint color should be, or close to what it was in reality?

 

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Edited by Curt B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you thought, a "silver paint" is the typical model approach to "aluminum lacquer". The goal is to make those areas "look like paint" to contrast with the prototype's unpainted surfaces.

 

I believe the correct name for the paint is aluminized lacquer. On an NMF P-51D, this paint was at least used in the area of the areas of the wings that were puttied and smoothed over to maintain laminar flow. Drawings of the wings are on ARC and elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me personally...

Something like AK Extreme's "White aluminum"  or Alclad's "Semi-Matte aluminum" would be good for replicating the aluminum paint color that NAA put on the wings of the P-51D's. 

For the bare natural metal I'd use something like AK's Polished Aluminum over a gloss *white* base or perhaps Alclads Polished Aluminum or Airframe Aluminum as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a custom silver mix - Mission Models Duraluminum with a drop of White.    It has a nice contrast with the natural metal areas.   
 

Steve

 

VImu8eQ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there photographic evidence that the aluminum lacquer applied to the wings was duller than the unpainted areas? Also, FWIW, I personally would not use the high gloss Alclad shades  on the unpainted areas, but rather normal Aluminum, Duraluminum, White Aluminum and some Steel-Aluminum mix for the exhaust areas, since active duty planes weren't all that shiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seawinder said:

Is there photographic evidence that the aluminum lacquer applied to the wings was duller than the unpainted areas? Also, FWIW, I personally would not use the high gloss Alclad shades  on the unpainted areas, but rather normal Aluminum, Duraluminum, White Aluminum and some Steel-Aluminum mix for the exhaust areas, since active duty planes weren't all that shiny.

 

Thanks for your thoughts.  I can’t say that I’ve seen any photos that show the painted areas either more or less glossy that the natural metal areas.  And, for what it’s worth, I had not planned on making the natural metal areas particularly shiny, except maybe for a few scattered panels that could represent replacement panels.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I used a custom silver mix - Mission Models Duraluminum with a drop of White.    It has a nice contrast with the natural metal areas.   
 

Steve

 

VImu8eQ.jpg

 

Steve,

 

BEAUTIFUL airplane!  I’ve been pondering that very paint scheme for one of my P-51D buildings , now I’m even more sure I want to do that!!  I’m generally not a fan of blue on vehicles, cars, motorcycles or airplanes, but that shade of blue just really POPS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Curt B said:

 

Steve,

 

BEAUTIFUL airplane!  I’ve been pondering that very paint scheme for one of my P-51D buildings , now I’m even more sure I want to do that!!  I’m generally not a fan of blue on vehicles, cars, motorcycles or airplanes, but that shade of blue just really POPS!

Thanks Curt - I definitely agree 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well, aluminized lacquer is essentially lacquer gloss coat with aluminum powder mixed in it so it will start out glossy. It's the same 'silver' used in pre-war USN Yellow Wings era aircraft. OTOH, I polished the aluminum bits on my bike when I was putting it back together and they're quite a bit shinier than the silver painted frame...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Testors' Metalizer Aluminum for the painted areas of NMF airplanes, such as the middle wing area of a B-29. It provides a nice contrast to the remainder of the model which was finished in Bare Metal Foil. After the paint dried I sealed it using Testors' Metalizer Sealer. I did not buff the paint. I left it in it's natural mat finish.

yIGEygQ.jpg?1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny, definitely a nice looking airplane, and good ‘contrast’ difference between the types of ‘metal’ looking materials.  Thanks for the idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny_K said:

I use Testors' Metalizer Aluminum for the painted areas of NMF airplanes, such as the middle wing area of a B-29. It provides a nice contrast to the remainder of the model which was finished in Bare Metal Foil. After the paint dried I sealed it using Testors' Metalizer Sealer. I did not buff the paint. I left it in it's natural mat finish.

yIGEygQ.jpg?1

 

 

That’s gorgeous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another pic of my B-29.

fS3iXdX.jpg?1

Not only are the painted surfaces a different color that the foiled surfaces, but the texture of the two surfaces is also different. It would be possible to duplicate this using paint instead of foil. The majority of the model would be painted in a gloss aluminum paint and the center section of the wing painted in a dull light gray paint.

Edited by Johnny_K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...