Diorama base Vietnam war Airfield with tarmac.

I would like to build Vietnam parking place from gypsum in 1/48 scale and I want to ask you about dimension one concrete plate in the parking position.

For example on this photo we can see parking place where are several concrete plates.  

f-100d_63381.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find detailed information about this plate?

Thanks in adavance.

I guess the concrete was poured into one deck, and afterwards they cut the deck into plates and fill them up with tar to allow the concrete to expand and shrink without breaking. So I guess there's a rule of thumb to what maximum lenght compared to the width of the cutting seam, however I don't know. 

I'd say you could use the Super Sabre's span to approximatly determine the width of the plates.

Succes!

9 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I guess the concrete was poured into one deck, and afterwards they cut the deck into plates and fill them up with tar to allow the concrete to expand and shrink without breaking. So I guess there's a rule of thumb to what maximum lenght compared to the width of the cutting seam, however I don't know. 

I'd say you could use the Super Sabre's span to approximatly determine the width of the plates.

Succes!

That photo was taken down south. Possibly Pleiku or further south. Much higher in the food chain! Those revetments were uncommon in I-CORP prior to Tet 68. Revetments were usually sized for the biggest single engine airframe ( including Phantoms and A6's as well. I think DaNang might have had some for C130's. Chu Lai never saw factory built revetments till late summer 68. But they had home made ones built from fuel oil drums. 

Contrary to popular belief, PSP was really only used for chopper pads. PSP and tires don't do well at eighty mph. They went with a similar plate that had smooth flat plates on the outside. Some folks called it Marsden Plate, I don't know for sure. Chu Lai and other places used the flat plate 67 and earlier.

I think DaNang was pretty much always concrete. I know there were train loads of plate piled up here and there. 

I'm sure there was some kind of a spec they went by pouring concrete. Seeing photos of Navy Seal Bees at work tells me they poured slabs one or two at a time. Still a lot of concrete when doing two 14,000 foot runways forty foot wide! It took most 67 to get it done! It was still curing out when I flew in the in December. Plus they were still doing some concrete where the hangers would be built. I was in the almost everyday to get water and a few PX visits.

With the advent of all the open panels of modern jets these days, an arming pit diorama would be nice. Chu Lai had a plane in the arming pit 24/7! I've seen six to eight planes lined up for the pit at a time. Most all went due north or out by Khe Shan.

Gary

I remembered tonight that several years ago I bought on Ebay stand from Noy but in 1/72 scale. So I have got dimmension concrete plate.

In 1/72 single concrete plate has dimmension: 78mm x 52mm

In 1/48 should has: 117mm x 78mm

In 1:1 should has about 5,6m x 3,7 m

Thanks for any help.

75241115_694013737789367_3060077500190162944_n (Small).jpg

• 1 year later...

Concrete is poured in place surrounded by wood forms to whatever dimension the contractor demands.  Once the concrete is set, the wood forms are pulled up.  Sometimes, asphalt/tar is poured beteween the slabs as a sealant, sometimes wood slats are put in place between slab forms and are left in place as the "sealant".  Both allow the slabs to expand and contract due to temperature changes and prevent water from leaking underneath the slab.