CD48171 - 1/48 FJ-2 Fury

41 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Wait, what? I thought they shelved this project.

I will immediately get started on something - I already have artwork I prepared last year.

Though you might want to jump on it. Looks gorgeous. But needs decals badly, cuz these are the thickest decals I've seen in a long time.

Someone on HS posted that they were available on eBay. Ordered one directly from the KH outlet (eBay seller: sophili-98) and got it in less than a week. $56.90, including Fedex.

This is what I posted today on HS:
Has both raised and NACA intakes for the rear fuselage. Wings are foldable, which I'll probably do, as I'm running out of space in my display cabinet. Cannon ports are separate pieces. Side consoles and IP has raised details with thick decals. Etched parts are seatbelts. Decals look nicely designed, have dense colors, but seem very thick - hope Furball or Caracal does some sheets. Has two resin figures - climbing pilot and ground guy.

Edited by sierrascale
5 minutes ago, Bryan H. said:

I'm thinking that the FJ-3 shouldn't be far behind.  Maybe, you can enlarge your FJ-3 Fury sheets.  I know I'll be buying!

:cheers: & happy modeling, Bryan 

My FJ-3 sheets are ready - in fact, I got tired of waiting and scaled the artwork down to release the two 1/72 sheets I have.

Edited by KursadA
15 minutes ago, KursadA said:

My FJ-3 sheets are ready - in fact, I got tired of waiting and scaled the artwork down to release the two 1/72 sheets I have.

You're not the only one who thought this kit would be a no-show...  Good to know you're ready when Kitty Hawk is!

:cheers: & happy modeling, Bryan

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Just got my Fury kit, definitely needs Caracal decals to replace the kit sheet.

corey

But  it looks like they already covered many units that flew the type - do you have any suggestions for options not featured on the kit sheet? Unless there are gross mistakes on the kit sheet or any striking unit markings they omitted, it is somewhat harder to offer a sheet only on the basis of superior printing quality.  

I suppose I see your point Kursad, they did cover almost all the active duty units that flew the -2.  The only active duty unit they missed was VMF-232.  The only other opportunity for additional markings are the GSB test birds and the Columbus and St Louis Reserve units.  

I noticed a post that pointed out the stencils are gibberish, but I have to admit I could barely tell using a magnifier glass.

I’ll have to spend some time scrutinizing for markings mistakes.  

I understand that the business case for a -2 Fury sheet might not work. 😞

Corey

1 minute ago, Corey said:

I’ll have to spend some time scrutinizing for markings mistakes.  

I understand that the business case for a -2 Fury sheet might not work. 😞

There may still be hope; as it does not have to be an -2 only sheet : stay tuned. 

There were three reserve schemes used on FJ-2s:

- overall NMF with orange reserve band.

- light gray over white with orange band.

- white and international orange trainer scheme.

The Ginter book also a photo of an H&MS bird with MV tailcode.

And, as Corey mentioned, there were GSB NATC test birds with NAVY titles. Different.

Those reserve schemes do look cool.  I was looking at them in both the Ginter FJ-2 and FJ-3 books.

There might even be common markings between the reserve -2’s and -3’s

Edited by Corey
12 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

My vote is for at least one overall GSB scheme!

Same! I think we’ll have to hope KH makes a slatted -3, though. I don’t think there were many (any?) blue -2s besides prototypes and apparently no blue unslatted-3s.

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Same! I think we’ll have to hope KH makes a slatted -3, though. I don’t think there were many (any?) blue -2s besides prototypes and apparently no blue unslatted-3s.

Ben

if they don’t release a specific slatted -3 kit, you could probably use the slatted wing from the -2 kit, correct?

corey

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 5:00 AM, Sabre Freak said:

Trying to get a read on the “operating room green” cockpit color .  Found some interesting images

Any ideas on matches or mixes for the cockpit color?  I’ve been brainstorming ideas but haven’t had time to experiment with anything yet.  I’m thinking either a modified Soviet cockpit color, or MRP has an epoxy primer color that might have some potential (especially if some blue is added.)

corey

• 3 weeks later...