CD48171 - 1/48 FJ-2 Fury

You can do pretty much any of the schemes already included in the kit anyway as they all have some errors, some more significant than others, as was pointed out above. There are alternatives not covered also. I'd put my vote in for this jet given an option (this squadron, but not this jet, is in the kit, but the decals are nearly useless).

VMF-451 132122.jpg

Between the two sheets almost every FJ-2 scheme is covered, including every single unit featured in the woefully weak kit decal sheet. Three overall blue protoypes (754/755/756); at least one overall blue earl;y production jet (937); reserve jets from both Columbus and St Louis.

The two FJ-2 sheets and the two future FJ-3 sheets will share the same common stencilling sheet, which will provide accurate stencils to replace the made-up stuff on the kit sheet and probably provide  enough reason alone to get these sheets. While the main marking sheets will be limited releases printed by Microscale, the stencilling sheet will be printed by Cartograf and have markings for both gray/white and dark blue Furies.

cd48171_2full.jpg 

16 hours ago, KursadA said:

Between the two sheets almost every FJ-2 scheme is covered, including every single unit featured in the woefully weak kit decal sheet. Three overall blue protoypes (754/755/756); at least one overall blue earl;y production jet (937); reserve jets from both Columbus and St Louis.

Very happy to see the F-86E-based XFJ-2s!  White North American style numbers were impossible to find. 

Edited by sierrascale
2 hours ago, sierrascale said:

Very happy to see the F-86E-based XFJ-2s!  White North American style numbers were impossible to find. 

I had these numbers as part of my F-86 buzz numbers set, and in preparation for my upcoming Korean War F-86 and F-82 sheets; so the three XFJ-2's were an easy addition. It looks like North American simply used the same templates to paint the numbers in white, the dimensions are identical to F-86 buzz numbers.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, KursadA said:

I had these numbers as part of my F-86 buzz numbers set, and in preparation for my upcoming Korean War F-86 and F-82 sheets; so the three XFJ-2's were an easy addition. It looks like North American simply used the same templates to paint the numbers in white, the dimensions are identical to F-86 buzz numbers.

I love you Man!
Will this be an April release?

3 hours ago, sierrascale said:

I love you Man!
Will this be an April release?

Yes, both FJ-2 sheets will be available in April.

The FJ-3 sheets will follow a couple of months later or when the KH kits are in the market.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:00 AM, Sabre Freak said:

I just used MM Russian cockpit blue green. Looks close to what the USS Hornet museum's FJ-2 has in it's cockpit. 

So four sheets then?  

CD48171 FJ-2 Fury - Part 1

CD48172 FJ-2 Fury - Part 2

CD48173 FJ-3 Fury - Part 1

CD48174 FJ-3 Fury - Part 2

Now, that is what I call being responsive to the customer's wishes!  Thank you AGAIN, Kursad.

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 6:18 PM, KursadA said:

Yes, both FJ-2 sheets will be available in April.

The FJ-3 sheets will follow a couple of months later or when the KH kits are in the market.

Great! My Fury is looking at me with puppy eyes: "Why don't you start building me?" Hope COVID-19 doesn't disrupt your production process too much, though...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Corey said:

Any updates on the FJ-2 sheets?  I’m getting close to where I have to decide if I’m going to do an early or late FJ-2 on my build. 

thanks!  🙂

Almost done with the sheets - the stencil sheets are already being printed at Cartograf, while the main markings sheet design will go to Microscale this week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a reminder that the long-awaited FJ-2 Fury sheets are coming in August - here is the first one.

Note that there is a separate common stencilling & national insignia sheet (previously shown in this thread) and a small insert for black markings (mostly modex numbers, etc.).

cd48171.jpg

Edited by KursadA

755 on the first sheet and 756 on the second sheet are basically simply navalized F-86E's without wing fences, and can not be built using the Kitty Hawk kit. I am providing these markings for completeness and for those of us willing to kitbash an F-86E into these historically important airframes. In the profile above I just used an FJ-2 profile for 755, which is not really right and I will correct it in the final profiles.

The second sheet has two overall blue early test & eval jets (755 and 754), a reserve jet from Columbus, and all of the remaining USMC FJ-2 operators. Profiles for these coming sometime later in the week, depending on how overwhelmed I am with shipping your preorders.

Edited by KursadA