CD48171 - 1/48 FJ-2 Fury

8 hours ago, KursadA said:

755 on the first sheet and 756 on the second sheet are basically simply navalized F-86E's without wing fences, and can not be built using the Kitty Hawk kit. I am providing these markings for completeness and for those of us willing to kitbash an F-86E into these historically important airframes. In the profile above I just used an FJ-2 profile for 755, which is not really right and I will correct it in the final profiles.

The second sheet has two overall blue early test & eval jets (755 and 754), a reserve jet from Columbus, and all of the remaining USMC FJ-2 operators. Profiles for these coming sometime later in the week, depending on how overwhelmed I am with shipping your preorders.

Fantastic news!

Folks, these sheets were a lot of work. Researching older subjects such as this one takes a lot of time and effort to get things right, using a handful of fuzzy black and white photos. I can design a modern F-15E or an A-10C sheet in an afternoon : the Interwebs is full of up-to-date photos of every single aspect of these modern aircraft, markings are standardized, in many cases even the official marking specs are available. Not so with the FJ-2 or FJ-3.

Many of you would agree that the kit decals are pretty bad. If you plan to build an FJ-2, I hope you will support my work on these older subjects by ordering these sheets when I release them in August. As I mentioned, each sheet will be limited to 250 copies. If successful, I may reprint them later (especially since it took me a while to design them); but it will take a while.

And this is what's on the second sheet:

cd48172profiles.jpg

Is the nose artwork with the starts a single decal? Just asking because the shape of the nose on KH's FJ-2 kit is quite a bit off and I'll release a corrected nose in a few weeks. A one-piece decal fitted to the incorrect KH nose wouldn't fit my corrected nose...

Saying that, the nose shape in your profiles looks much more like the correct shape than KH.

Cheers,

J

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

Is the nose artwork with the starts a single decal? Just asking because the shape of the nose on KH's FJ-2 kit is quite a bit off and I'll release a corrected nose in a few weeks. A one-piece decal fitted to the incorrect KH nose wouldn't fit my corrected nose...

No, it's a one small cluster of stars for each side of the fuselage. That said, there are enough spare individual stars on the sheet and I will recommend the user to use the individual star markings.  

Kursad, could you confirm for me that the Columbus jet has been retrofitted with the later FJ-3 ribbed rudder and elevators?  These are the marking I’m going to use, and I’ll go ahead and attach the flight controls in preparation for paint and decals.

thanks!

33 minutes ago, Corey said:

Kursad, could you confirm for me that the Columbus jet has been retrofitted with the later FJ-3 ribbed rudder and elevators?  These are the marking I’m going to use, and I’ll go ahead and attach the flight controls in preparation for paint and decals.

thanks!

I found a photo of 132111, it has the ribbed flight controls.  🙂

Here are the final drafts of the designs of the two sheets - please keep in mind that there is a common stencilling sheet and a black/white sheet for both sets which will have modex numbers, serials, etc.

cd48171.jpg  cd48172.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Corey said:

Putting down white paint in preparation for decals!  

Looking good!  Only 2-3 weeks to go before the decals are available, it looks like your model will be ready for decaling well before then.

7 hours ago, KursadA said:

Looking good!  Only 2-3 weeks to go before the decals are available, it looks like your model will be ready for decaling well before then.

Cool, I’m excited to see them!   I’ll probably pause once I get the white base where it needs to be, and then proceed once the decals are available.  I can fall back to other projects until then.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Cool, I’m excited to see them!   I’ll probably pause once I get the white base where it needs to be, and then proceed once the decals are available.  I can fall back to other projects until then.

Looking good Corey.   I wasn't planning on buying this kit but the decals have convinced me otherwise.   Has happened on more than one occasion with Caracal Decals!

12 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Looking good Corey.   I wasn't planning on buying this kit but the decals have convinced me otherwise.   Has happened on more than one occasion with Caracal Decals!

Don, also keep your eyes peeled for the Hypersonic Models https://www.hypersonicmodels.com resin that should be available once the Japanese Post resumes service to the US.  Looks like it will be awesome!

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Don, also keep your eyes peeled for the Hypersonic Models https://www.hypersonicmodels.com resin that should be available once the Japanese Post resumes service to the US.  Looks like it will be awesome!

I saw their stuff and really hit on the updated tires for the T-38.   The Fury cockpit update set looks like it's a must.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are not on the mailing list (but why?), the FJ-2 Fury sheets are now available and preordering.

CD48171 - 1/48 FJ-2 Fury - Part 1

CD48172 - 1/48 FJ-2 Fury - Part 2

And folks, yes, I know that the prototype XFJ-2's were basically navalized F-86Es.  And yes, the profiles show them as FJ-2 (which are 99% identical). They are just profiles on an instruction sheet - they are there to show what goes where. The differences of the aircraft are described profusely in other places. 

I understand that the KH  FJ-3 is out now. My artwork is already ready; having been printed and released in my two 1/72 scale sheets. The FJ-2 and FJ-3 sheets will use the very same stencilling sheet (which already had the few different stencils that the FJ-3 had). You can expect to see the FJ-3 sheets sometime around the end of the year.

Edited by KursadA
On 8/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, KursadA said:

Around %30 of both FJ-2 Fury sheets were preordered in the first 12 hours - please secure yours now.

I've preordered mine through Hannants. I presume they are going to get some?

Jon