CD48171 - 1/48 FJ-2 Fury

On 8/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, KursadA said:

I understand that the KH  FJ-3 is out now.

The world finally has an actual modern injection 1/48 FJ-3 Fury kit which has been far too long ignored, 6 marking options in the kit, potentially 8 more options coming from Caracal.....

...and still the only option for the coolest of all the dark sea blue Furys EVER (VF-33),  is the ancient rare and fragile yellow tinted Microscale sheet which routinely sells for one medium rare rib eye with sauce in NY.

FJ3champlain.jpg

This cannot be left as is.  I will cry soft, sad tears and puppies everywhere will whimper and refuse to make endearing cell phone videos for their owners if this is not corrected.  When I look at the few daring intrepid modelers out there on the internet who undertook to carve up the ESCI kit and force it to resemble a -3 for their collection, they end up in sea blue VF-33 markings.  There is no substitute for good taste. 

Now back to your FJ-2 thread...

Rick L.

Many of the options I chose for my existing 1/72 FJ-3 sheets were chosen for inclusion in the KItty Hawk FJ-3 kit (coincidence? perhaps), so it is highly likely that I will need to add new units to replace them... so wipe away your tears and enjoy the Nebraska sky;  there is still a chance for new VF-33 markings.

The FJ-2 sheets sold extremely well. After 20-25 more preorders, I may need to disable preorders for the FJ-2 sheets so there will be some left for big resellers like Sprue Bros, Hannants etc. to sell. They will get their shipment around the end of September, probably longer for the overseas resellers due to the still problematic international shipping situation.

I did not expect this level of interest for the FJ-2 sheets. The kit sheet offers plenty of options, each with a varying degree of shortcomings but not completely unusable for many modellers. Perhaps I should have been more optimistic.

At any rate, I will not be able to do a reprint until early 2021 at the earliest. So please get yours either from me or from the resellers when they get their supply later, but I will probably end up doing a reprint sometime next year.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:43 PM, Spruemeister said:

The world finally has an actual modern injection 1/48 FJ-3 Fury kit which has been far too long ignored, 6 marking options in the kit, potentially 8 more options coming from Caracal.....

...and still the only option for the coolest of all the dark sea blue Furys EVER (VF-33),  is the ancient rare and fragile yellow tinted Microscale sheet which routinely sells for one medium rare rib eye with sauce in NY.

FJ3champlain.jpg

This cannot be left as is.  I will cry soft, sad tears and puppies everywhere will whimper and refuse to make endearing cell phone videos for their owners if this is not corrected.  When I look at the few daring intrepid modelers out there on the internet who undertook to carve up the ESCI kit and force it to resemble a -3 for their collection, they end up in sea blue VF-33 markings.  There is no substitute for good taste. 

Now back to your FJ-2 thread...

Rick L.

Such a great looking scheme! I'm likely to only build one FJ-2 and I want it in this scheme. 

image140.jpg

Kursad,

First post here so be kind 🙂

If you do a VF-33 GSB machine, I'm sure you'll include the prominent pilot/crew chief name (as seen in the photo above). They often are not very clear on photos but I can confirm the following (on these aircraft both pilot and PC name were painted on the LH/port side but only the pilot name on RH/Stbd side):

135826 203/C - Lt Cdr MH Jester & PC Chefskey, EG AM 1; this a/c had a US Navy excellence second award ‘E I’ marking applied below the port/LH canopy area.

135831 202/C – LCdr WJ Manby & PC Hodge, MJ AM3

135843 204/C – LtJG FV Martin Jr & PC Bailey, RR AD3

Hope this helps. Can post photos if required.

DC

34 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Kursad,

First post here so be kind 🙂

If you do a VF-33 GSB machine, I'm sure you'll include the prominent pilot/crew chief name (as seen in the photo above). They often are not very clear on photos but I can confirm the following (on these aircraft both pilot and PC name were painted on the LH/port side but only the pilot name on RH/Stbd side):

135826 203/C - Lt Cdr MH Jester & PC Chefskey, EG AM 1; this a/c had a US Navy excellence second award ‘E I’ marking applied below the port/LH canopy area.

135831 202/C – LCdr WJ Manby & PC Hodge, MJ AM3

135843 204/C – LtJG FV Martin Jr & PC Bailey, RR AD3

Hope this helps. Can post photos if required.

DC

Photos will be great. The photos you posted to Britmodeller were a great help in designing the sheets, particularly the stencilling sheet where your photos were the only ones in which  obscure 70-year old warning/maintenance text was readable. You can send them to info AT caracalmodels.com as well.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

What the heck.  Let's request the coolest Marine scheme too and go with VMFA-333 Fighting Shamrocks.  Just in case you were considering the VMFA-333 F-4J MiG killer for another sheet, and needed a companion in the -3 Fury.  😁  Soooo many good options.  So little time to build......

Rick L.

2 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

What the heck.  Let's request the coolest Marine scheme too and go with VMFA-333 Fighting Shamrocks.  Just in case you were considering the VMFA-333 F-4J MiG killer for another sheet, and needed a companion in the -3 Fury.  😁  Soooo many good options.  So little time to build......

Rick L.

That would be an awesome combo sheet!

I have sold all of the sheets that I set aside for direct sales - so I will disable the preorder buttons tomorrow (Friday). The remaining stock will go to resellers by the end of the month.

Thanks for your tremendous interest in the FJ-2 sheets. I started packing these on the 5th, but it looks like it will take me 7-10 more days to pack everything. I will then schedule a USPS pickup to ship all of them at the same time. 

The FJ-3 sheets will go to print soon after the kit appears in China, hopefully before the end of the year.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

KursadA,
Received the FJ-2 sheets the other day and finally had time to check them out today and they’re perfect! Including markings for pre production airframes goes above and beyond what anyone else would do. Thank you!

Also, thank you for your time, effort, and willingness (when feasible) to listen to your customers. 

Best regards,

Jim S