Kinetic's Best 1/48 Aircraft kit?

Hi All,

Since i didn't know what category the answers to my post might be, I thought I'd put this topic in the General category.  I've heard/read a wide variety of opinions about Kinetic models in general, many not very positive.  I'm sure that Kinetic must have a 'best of' Kinetic kit.  I don't know all the aircraft that Kinetic offer for sale, but I'm curious what folks think is 'the best' KIntic airplane in 1/48 scale.  I'm just looking for opinions.  I've got lots of airplanes, but not a single Kinetic kit...yet.  Which one is their best? 

I think it is fair to say that some of the earlier releases by Kinetic weren't that good. They had accuracy and fit issues. Also some quality issues, such as sink marks. But one thing that can be said is that Kinetic have steadily improved their product over the years. Since taking over the actual kit pressing process, moving it in-house, their quality has jumped. I would say that any of their "Kinetic Gold" standard kits are very good. Some have stated that the quality of the new F-104 kit approaches Tamiya's.

I've been working (very slowly) on one of their early pressings of the Su-33. It is a very good kit detail wise and most of it goes together fairly well, but their are some fit and quality issues such as the above mentioned sink marks. Kinetic has recent re-released the kit using their in-house presses and I hear the quality issues have been solved.

One thing that has been a constant issue with Kinetic kits is their instructions. In short, they suck. They are aware they have a serious issue there and are working to improve.

So, to summarize, the more recent the kit, the better the quality. If there is a specific kit you are interested in, then ask about that one specifically so that people who have built it can let you know where in the Kinetic spectrum it falls. As far as the "best Kinetic kit", that would probably have to be the new F-104 series.

I liked the Greyhound and Hawkeye. Found them both rather nice. The Hornet looks good. Built it three times. The first one did not turn out great but the other two came out just fine. Better in some ways then the  Hasegawa, worse in others. I will do a comparison build in the showdown group build, once I finish a few commission builds in a couple months.

All,

Thanks so much for the responses to my request.  I honestly wouldn't have considered an F-104.  The '104 was never one of my favorite designs, despite the success the real airplane enjoyed.  Perhaps it is time to get one and try it.  My goal, honestly, had been trying to find a Kinetic kit to get, and so looking for the 'best' was just my selfish way of weeding through their airplanes without having to build them all.  So...now, with your opinions having been stated, I'll be giving considered thought to a Kinetic F-104...or maybe one of the others some of you have mentioned.  After seeing some of Klnetic SU-33s built, I was kind of hoping that someone would mention a '33; and one of you did!  Not like I don't already have more than a fair representation of Soviet fighter planes in my ridiculously big stash of models.  

Keep the thoughts coming, folks!  Even if it's to agree with some of the posters already having provided their opinions...

I've built Su-33, M-346 and Fouga so far. First two were real pleasure to build, Fouga is quite good but not as good. Also have Kfir and F/A-18D. Kfir looks similar to Fouga in quality while bug is a step up, similar to M-346 in quality. Cannot comment on F-104, I don't have it and don't plan to get. 

Edited by Helmsman