Kitty Hawk UH-1Y "Venom" FINISHED!!!

This was like the logic suite to my cobra Zulu , and since it was so nice to build I had to give this a try, I've never been a fan of Hueys since I used to think they were more on the "fat" side, but after watching this one, is kinda growing on me. The model came with lots of parts shared with the Zulu, so for moments is like a deja vu, but I'm enjoying it non the less!

I'm planing on painting it like in the box art with engines closed, even though I've been told is kind of a pain to close them the right way....we´ll see

I noticed that the exhaust assemble lacked the detail the Zulu had, and it had to be repaired sinde one of the "tabs" around the little intake was missing so I added the detail and tried to repair the tabs

IMG_E4283

IMG_4284 IMG_E4286

IMG_E4532

IMG_E4527

Edited by kike

I then moved to the interior in order to close it, but there are some things to do there before starting to think about closing it, the floor, another first time, I did my best  to give it a "used" look, in these pictures the contrast looks a bit harsh, but in real life is not that hard

IMG_4656

Then I decided I want to display it with the doors closed on one side and opened on the other side, wich means one door interior es gona be visible from the other side, and the piece completely lacks detail on the interior. My scratching skills are close to none, but I still tried and the result, in my book, was acceptable so It'll stay there, anyway is gonna be kinda tricky to see it.

IMG_4576

IMG_4579

IMG_4683

IMG_4725

As you can see in some places the fit is very good so far, nothing is glued yet, only dry fitted, and as I said before, the contrastt on the effect on the floor and the wash is gonna be tonned down a click or two, but not too much because inside is gonna be a bit dark so I want it to be seen!

Hope you like it and I'll appreciate your comments and sugestions..

Edited by kike

I definitely recommend toning down the light gray on the rivets on the interior, they don't stand out that much on the real thing.

Or you can do a layer of dust over it, because they do pick that up extremely well.

Edited by Sarathi S.
23 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

I definitely recommend toning down the light gray on the rivets on the interior, they don't stand out that much on the real thing.

Or you can do a layer of dust over it, because they do pick that up extremely well.

I agree and as I said before, they're gonna get knocked down a bit, however I was trying to replicate the wear on this pic,

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-24 at 23.24.18

and I'm thinking about building something like that for the seat, the instructions tell you to install three of them, but most of the pics I've seen, have only one, so I'll see if skills let me do that!

(picture posted for illustration purposes only, credits to the author)

I decided to try to build the seat´s rack, and even if it's a bit over scaled I think it will do the job, it doesn'r meet the standards displayed here but at least I tried

IMG_4913

Then I moved to the IP´s, and even if I'm not a big fan of decals, after painting them, they just didn't look right enough, so I tried with decals and I liked the result, you be the judges

GUQD3623

IMG_E5003

The tail boom has been painted and washed and I put together the rack for guns

IMG_5009

IMG_5008

So now I have to paint the control sticks, more seats for the cargo area and paint the seat belts of the front ones, some cables for mics and belts for the rear seats! then I can close this fat guy!....sounds like fun hehe

Kike,

in my opinion the floor was a perfect match on the photo of Nov 23. in any case your interior is looking rather sharp, I like it. Black is always a hard color to deal with. sometimes a touch of light  flat brown on the edges gives you another dimension of depth.  I have a question if i may,  The tail boom is already painted, is the fuselage as well? 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the interior es ready to be closed, after testing a couple of grays for the wash, and not beeing happy, my wife suggested a "dusty" color, and beeing the good husband I am, I tried and liked it, and we are both happy!

I tried to scratch build the seat belts, if I can call them like that! but since they are gonna be quite visible, it had to be done! and I did what I could

IMG_E5266

IMG_E5269

IMG_E5268

IMG_E5271

So far I'm happy with the kit and how it is turning into a decent model! Hope you guys like it

BTW the center belt round thingy is gona get painted black as Oppenheimmer remarked!

Edited by kike
On 12/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, kike said:

Yes the tail boom is already painted and not the fuselage yet, but changes can be done, what would you suggest?

Wouldn't it make more sense to paint  everything at once so you get an even matching paint job and weathering.  

Wouldn't it make more sense to paint  everything at once so you get an even matching paint job and weathering.

Yes It would! actually I don't usually paint model separated, however, that's how I painted the Zulu! I wasn't sure about the scheme and decided to try it on the tail boom after checking a good fit! ao I painted it something like a month or so before even building the rest, I remember you asked about it then! Maybe thanks to a struck of luck, the whole pain job came out looking good and even. Here are a couple of pics to show off what I say

DSC_3929

DSC_3922

BUT, in this particular case, after painting the Venom´s tail boom and compare it with the Zulu´s I realized they looked almost exactly the same, minus the red stripe!!!

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-20 at 19.18.07

I try to test something new in every model I build and there is no point, for me, in building two helos with the exact same technique, even if they are supossed to work together I still need to do something different. So I'm going to try a different aproach with this one, and instead of using black as shadow, I want to try brown and white, just like you did on your build! I hope it'll turn out half as good as yours and I'll be more than happy!

Did I make sense??

On a nother note I ran into a problem with the overhead console! After I glued the two fuselage parts and focusing on the windshield fitting I overlooked the side console showing beyond the frame of the overhead window!

QJTP6648

I didn't have much of a choice other than cutting it, and so I did....I was going to leave only the center part of it, but after cutting the side I realized it had two panels, and since I needed to fix the cut, i just took one of the panels out and glued the other one again to one side of the console!

GQUK3466

It came out perfect and it matched reference pictures

IMG_5347

I know there must be other ways to correct this issue or even avoid it, but I overlooked it and glued in place it wasn´t so easy! I post this, in case you encounter this type of issues, so I give you at least a way to get over it!

• 3 weeks later...

After a short vacation it was time to paint this bird and I tried to avoid painting it in a "boring" (for me) way, so I gave it some lights and deepness to it, I liked the result but I'm kinda biassed, if you know what I mean, so let's hear your opinnions

IMG_6125

IMG_6126

IMG_6124

Hope you like it

• 2 weeks later...