Good Afternoon! So based on seeing the Black Dog USCG Jayhawk interior and the subsequent googling led me here to the various USCG choppers and Blackhawk threads and that got my juices flowing, I scoured the internet and found the 1/48 Italeri HH60J from Aviation Megastore in Holland.  *if anyone is still looking for this kit they did have 1 left at the time* 

Now this is going to be my first real model (doing quality work-out just putting it together as a kid lol) and I'm still getting pieces, parts, and tools together -i.e my airbrush setup is lacking terribly. (I'm using a 2o year old $20 dollar Testors Airbrush with a Delta Hobby tool compressor rofl! But the kit is here so that is a start! My plan is to do a after mission vignette of either BU NO 6035 or BU NO 6025. Those were the two birds I found photos of that seemed to fit. 6025 i just really liked the nose art rofl!

*I'll  have to upload photos later, apparently mine are too large! 

I got a chance to get some photos uploaded (finally lol) 

The Kit

e-20191120_175607.png

BU NO 6035 - the main air frame that I am taking inspiration from

225693.jpg

BU NO 6025 - This is the other one I was considering, and with nose art like that who wouldn't! Ironically I JUST noticed that the Kit itself is BU NO 6025 - go figure! lol

h601119_812_er.jpg

Hello

I have this kit too, I would love to have a go it one day, but I don't like painting white, however I am gaining confidence using Tamiya lacquer paints. I do like the coast guard helicopters. If you get a chance have a look at movie called "the Guardian" it has Kevin Costner & Ashton Kutcher in it (Don't let that put you off!!!) It's has some footage of these types of choppers, some inside. I look forward to seeing this built.

Ash

I have the Blackdog set and the kit (boxed from Skunkmodels). You can add an exterior set from Eduard and the superb wheels from Reskit. The Coast guard orange AN 508 you can get from Model master acrylic series: 4225.

I think it will be not an easy project for your modelling re-entry. But I wish good luck!

Thanks guys! 

10 hours ago, ash74 said:

"....If you get a chance have a look at movie called "the Guardian" it has..."

Ash

I love that Movie. Growing up on Lake Erie meant I always got to see USCG equipment be it helicopters or boats so they always have a special place in my heart! 

9 hours ago, tobiK said:

I have the Blackdog set and the kit (boxed from Skunkmodels). You can add an exterior set from Eduard and the superb wheels from Reskit. The Coast guard orange AN 508 you can get from Model master acrylic series: 4225.

I think it will be not an easy project for your modelling re-entry. But I wish good luck!

Excellent tips, thank you! I was looking at the Eduard exterior set but wasnt sure what came with it or of it was overkill etc. And had already eyed the Reskit wheels and also saw some FOD covers somewhere too I was thinking about, especially if I do the maintenance diorama.

Thank you, I am going to try my best, I know going slow and taking my time will be the best shot and I hope I'm not being too ambitious! The biggest thing I'm worried about doing well is painting lol!

• 2 weeks later...

CG Bob described the USCG colors in a post on FSM ( better than I could):

“International Orange (12797) is the wrong shade for CG red (12799).

From the USCG website:  

When did the Coast Guard adopt the “slash” for its cutters, boats, and aircraft?

The design consists of a wide red bar forward of a narrow blue bar both canted at 64 degrees above the horizontal with the Coast Guard emblem superimposed.  It was originally recommended in 1964 by the industrial design firm of Raymond Loewy/William Snaith, Incorporated and was adopted service-wide on 6 April 1967.

The color red used in the slash is Pantone 179.

The color blue used in the slash is Pantone 307

From the USCG Color and Coatings Manual:

Coast Guard Diagonal Stripes. The diagonal stripes are to be painted red (12199), white (17925),

and blue (15182).

The USCG Color and Coating Manual was updated in the year 2000'  That update replaced  white (17875) with white (17925).  White (19925) is a pure white; while white (17875) has a slight gray tinge.”

FS12799 is USCG red-orange— It looks like International Orange with a little red added.  I have a few bottles of the discontinued ModelMaster “Coast Guard Red” that I use- it is the right color.    CGBob did some tests, and says that Chevy Engine red is a close match.

Another option is Badger-  they have a CG red orange in their line.  I will try that when I run out of my old MM paint....

Note that all USCG aircraft are painted in the same shed using the same colors-   Many photos make the HH-65s look more orange, and the stripe on C-130s look redder. This is an optical illusion.....

Hope this helps...

“CG Bill”

Edited by RC boater Bill
Fixed typos, added new ones

CG Bob and I have discussed this before as well.  To me, the International Orange looks more correct for the white-based scheme as seen on the MH-60J/T, C-130, etc.  That is what I used on my 1/35 MH-60J conversion. Crappy pics, but you get the idea.

img_0417.jpg

img_0409-5.jpg

The Chevy Engine Red looks more like what is seen on MH-65Cs.  I have been told they are not the same color and they are painted a color called Tangarine, not the USCG Red as he states.

Edited by HeavyArty

You know that makes sense a little, at least for the jayhawk, to the eye the white will affect the red and blend the colors. That optical illusion will diffuse the colors a little. Where as on the MH65 being all red that's a little trickier. But still between both posts gives me huge information to go forth and try my hand at both now... at some point Haha. Gotta get building first! 😜

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, RC boater Bill said:

CG Bob described the USCG colors in a post on FSM ( better than I could):

“International Orange (12797) is the wrong shade for CG red (12799).

From the USCG website:  

When did the Coast Guard adopt the “slash” for its cutters, boats, and aircraft?

The design consists of a wide red bar forward of a narrow blue bar both canted at 64 degrees above the horizontal with the Coast Guard emblem superimposed.  It was originally recommended in 1964 by the industrial design firm of Raymond Loewy/William Snaith, Incorporated and was adopted service-wide on 6 April 1967.

The color red used in the slash is Pantone 179.

The color blue used in the slash is Pantone 307

From the USCG Color and Coatings Manual:

Coast Guard Diagonal Stripes. The diagonal stripes are to be painted red (12199), white (17925),

and blue (15182).

The USCG Color and Coating Manual was updated in the year 2000'  That update replaced  white (17875) with white (17925).  White (19925) is a pure white; while white (17875) has a slight gray tinge.”

FS12799 is USCG red-orange— It looks like International Orange with a little red added.  I have a few bottles of the discontinued ModelMaster “Coast Guard Red” that I use- it is the right color.    CGBob did some tests, and says that Chevy Engine red is a close match.

Another option is Badger-  they have a CG red orange in their line.  I will try that when I run out of my old MM paint....

Note that all USCG aircraft are painted in the same shed using the same colors-   Many photos make the HH-65s look more orange, and the stripe on C-130s look redder. This is an optical illusion.....

Hope this helps...

“CG Bill”

CG Bob is PARTIALLY correct.

The correct color for most modern aviation assets (HH/MH-60, C-130H/J, C-27J, HU-25 and MH-68 when we had them) is 12197, and the correct red for the stripe (on boats, not aircraft) is 12199. The 65's are a little trickier. It's FS12250, and not something that has been bottled in a hobby paint. 12197 with a couple drops of insignia red looks pretty good to me, but i haven't had a chance to compare it to the real thing under equal lighting conditions yet. If its any consolation, a lot of the quick touch up jobs on 65's are done with 12197 rattle cans if we don't feel like mixing paint, or stock is expired/exhausted.

This is first hand experience from a guy who mixed and sprayed the paint.

• 1 month later...

Good Evening, I know its been a while But I've finally got the main pieces together to start modelling when I get the time. I'm still short some tools, but that's something that can be addressed as time progresses. 

The kit you already know about. Now in addition that that I have the Black Dog Interior Kit, and the black dog Engine as well. 

20200304_195740e.jpg.5ef6512e7e5ce5a9bf6c3e9d77413390.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo - ill try to update this as soon as my host is back online. 

Thanks! I'll definitely try to post often, though the amount of OT I have been getting in the last week has made that difficult.. but slow and steady wins the race! (I try to keep telling myself that af least,I want to BUILD! LOL) 

Quick question Though, for those pototetch details .. does anyone have a bending jig they prefer, or homemade ones? 

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:18 PM, SpiritZeroThree said:

CG Bob is PARTIALLY correct.

The correct color for most modern aviation assets (HH/MH-60, C-130H/J, C-27J, HU-25 and MH-68 when we had them) is 12197, and the correct red for the stripe (on boats, not aircraft) is 12199. The 65's are a little trickier. It's FS12250, and not something that has been bottled in a hobby paint. 12197 with a couple drops of insignia red looks pretty good to me, but i haven't had a chance to compare it to the real thing under equal lighting conditions yet. If its any consolation, a lot of the quick touch up jobs on 65's are done with 12197 rattle cans if we don't feel like mixing paint, or stock is expired/exhausted.

This is first hand experience from a guy who mixed and sprayed the paint.

Reviving this old thread....

FS 12250 “Coast Guard Orange” is available now from True North Paints (enamel) and Badger Model Flex (acrylic)!