A question on the Revell 1/72nd DC-4 kit

So I was able to pick up the newish Revell 1/72nd DC-4 kit with the Balair markings. I really wanted the C-54 but this one was cheaper. What I would really like to do is use the Belcher Bits conversion and produce the RCAF North Star. Is there a lot of difference between the two kits? I have never seen the inside of the C-54 box but from photos on the side it looks like more military style seating while the DC-4 kit has the typical airliner seating.

Thanks for any info.

14 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Chris, compare your DC-4 instructions with those of the C-54, Link, to see the differences

I have both kits but have not compared them for differences to date.

Thanks but could not find info. I think I did ok as I believe the RCAF did use it for VIP transport.

I though you were asking about the difference between the DC-4 and C-54 kit boxings, that is why I suggested comparing your kit instructions with those of the C-54 I linked.

A quick google shows that the RCAF did use one for VIP duties but it was the C-5 variant was powered by Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engines rather than Merlins.

North_Star_C-5.jpg

I would have thought the two kits (C-54 / DC-4) would have been the same except  the decal sheet.  But after taking the time to look at ScaleMates, there are significant differences, but I'm not sure that it matters for what you want to do.

The Balair DC-4 kit includes new sprues I and M and a different sprue F.  These all have to do with the interior (passenger vs. cargo) and the entry door.  Otherwise the kits are the same.

Well, dang it, the PDF's of the instructions are too big to attach.  PM me your email if you want them.

Be aware that the Canadair North Star is not "just a DC-4 with Merlin engines".  From Wiki:

Canadair Aircraft Ltd. took over the Canadian Vickers Ltd. operations on 11 November 1944. Besides the existing Consolidated PBY Canso flying patrol boats in production, a development contract to produce a new variant of the Douglas DC-4 transport was still in effect. The new Canadair DC-4M powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines mounted in Rolls-Royce Universal Power Plant (UPP) installations[4] emerged in 1946 as the "North Star." More than just an engine swap, the North Star had the Douglas DC-6 nose, landing gear and fuselage shortened by 80 inches (6.7 ft; 2.0 m), DC-4 empennage, rear fuselage, flaps and wing tips, C-54 middle fuselage sections, wing centre- and outer-wing panels, cabin pressurisation, a standardised cockpit layout and a different electrical system.

Canadair built 71 examples of what was officially called the Canadair Four under the designations: North Star, DC-4M, C-4 and C-5. With the exception of the single C-5 (which had Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engines, as fitted to the Douglas DC-6), these variants were all powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines and 51 of the production examples were pressurised.

There is an argument to be made that you would also need a Heller DC-6 kit to make a proper North Star.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

C2j

Hey guys thanks so much for the help. Ray I apologize, yes your link did help. I misspoke. I meant I went on line to see what changes I should be aware of between the civil and military versions of the real thing.

I think I will still go ahead and use my kit and Mike's conversion.

2 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Hey guys thanks so much for the help. Ray I apologize, yes your link did help. I misspoke. I meant I went on line to see what changes I should be aware of between the civil and military versions of the real thing.

I think I will still go ahead and use my kit and Mike's conversion.

All good Chris 😄

On 11/24/2019 at 4:41 AM, Cubs2jets said:

Be aware that the Canadair North Star is not "just a DC-4 with Merlin engines".  From Wiki:

Canadair Aircraft Ltd. took over the Canadian Vickers Ltd. operations on 11 November 1944. Besides the existing Consolidated PBY Canso flying patrol boats in production, a development contract to produce a new variant of the Douglas DC-4 transport was still in effect. The new Canadair DC-4M powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines mounted in Rolls-Royce Universal Power Plant (UPP) installations[4] emerged in 1946 as the "North Star." More than just an engine swap, the North Star had the Douglas DC-6 nose, landing gear and fuselage shortened by 80 inches (6.7 ft; 2.0 m), DC-4 empennage, rear fuselage, flaps and wing tips, C-54 middle fuselage sections, wing centre- and outer-wing panels, cabin pressurisation, a standardised cockpit layout and a different electrical system.

Canadair built 71 examples of what was officially called the Canadair Four under the designations: North Star, DC-4M, C-4 and C-5. With the exception of the single C-5 (which had Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engines, as fitted to the Douglas DC-6), these variants were all powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines and 51 of the production examples were pressurised.

There is an argument to be made that you would also need a Heller DC-6 kit to make a proper North Star.

for modelling purposes, a C-54 kit (and a conv kit) would suffice for a North Star, as most of the differences are internal and indistinguishable.    A shortened Heller DC-6 would make a perfect C-5.

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a
because