Steel Beach website problem...

When I go to the Steel-Beach website (https://steel-beach.com/index.html) I get a "Untrusted Connection" message...

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to steel-beach.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue."

I also tried it in Waterfox, Basilisk and Firefox and got a similar message:

"steel-beach.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed. The certificate is not valid for the name steel-beach.com. The certificate expired on Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 6:42 PM. The current time is Friday, November 22, 2019, 8:55 PM. Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER"

What's up Darren?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by F-16

Looks like Darren's security certificate has expired. You browser, therefore, cannot authenticate the site and won't let you access as a security risk, as well it should.

I managed to get Firefox to let me thru, but all I got was a webpage with the words "Coming Soon" at the top and nothing else.

Darren, do you know what's going on?

P.S. If you use the non-secure "http" header on the address, then you get the Justhost.com page. If you use "https", the secure protocol, you get the certificate error.

Edited by Mstor

I didn't know anybody visited anymore! 😊 Life is at a point where I don't have a lot of time. I haven't touched the website in months, so I took it down to save money. I'm doing the Dave Ramsey plan and that was an expense I could get rid of. I'll post here with any news that comes up. I'm just trying to get caught up with out of stock items at Sprue Bros. and The 48ers.

1 hour ago, Gator52 said:

I wish you well on your journey, fellow traveler!

Jonah

What amazes me is just how simple and common sense it is. I wish I had done the steps when I got out of college. Even saving $25/month back then would have been huge now. The biggest thing I've become tuned into is the advertising. "You can get the new Dodge Ram pick up for ONLY $37,000." 😊

26 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

What amazes me is just how simple and common sense it is. I wish I had done the steps when I got out of college. Even saving $25/month back then would have been huge now. The biggest thing I've become tuned into is the advertising. "You can get the new Dodge Ram pick up for ONLY $37,000." 😊

When I first enlisted, me and another Marine opened savings accounts and had $50 a month allotted to it. Each time we got promoted, we increased it by $50. A few months after Desert Storm, I closed my account and withdrew it all to buy a new Jeep.

He left his alone and upon retiring, had just over $50K in it............I'm still kicking myself for that stupid decision.

11 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

When I first enlisted, me and another Marine opened savings accounts and had $50 a month allotted to it. Each time we got promoted, we increased it by $50. A few months after Desert Storm, I closed my account and withdrew it all to buy a new Jeep.

He left his alone and upon retiring, had just over $50K in it............I'm still kicking myself for that stupid decision.

Aside from a boat, a new car is about the worst investment one can make.   I feel your pain, I took my enlistment bonus and sunk it into a brand new Mustang 5.0, to replace a perfectly serviceable (and paid off) Honda Civic.   

On 11/24/2019 at 1:37 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I'm doing the Dave Ramsey plan ....

I don't mean to sound snarky but, when I visited his website, it basically looks like he wants you to spend money to buy books/plans from him to learn to save money.

Why not just contribute to a 401k or other payroll deduction plan?

Am I missing something?

13 hours ago, habu2 said:

I don't mean to sound snarky but, when I visited his website, it basically looks like he wants you to spend money to buy books/plans from him to learn to save money.

Why not just contribute to a 401k or other payroll deduction plan?

Am I missing something?

Not snarky at all. It's a great question. I was very skeptical as well. The principals are actually very simple, but not many people do them. He essentially has steps to go through. Investing is way down the line. The first step is to put $1000 into an emergency fund. You'd be shocked how many people don't even have that. The next is to pay off all debt. It may take years, but once done, it frees up a ton of liquid assets. He advocates cutting up credit cards and going to a cash system. It's interesting how you spend less when you actually have to pay with cash. To go along with that, you make a monthly budget and stick to it. All extra goes to paying off debt. Once you have one bill paid off, you use that money to start on the second one. He calls it the debt snowball. When all debt is paid off (except the mortgage), you then use the freed up income to save 3-6 months of savings in a money market account so you can get to it if needed. Only after that do you pay off the house and then start saving. Many people go full in and sell off a whole bunch of stuff to help pay down debt and have an outrageously strict budget. I'm not one of them, although I have sold off a lot my model-related items. It has definitely changed my spending habits, though. Like I said, the ideas aren't rocket science, and he admits as much. It's just that nobody seems to do them on their own. It's almost like a support group to help you get through the steps.

That makes sense, I guess I was lucky that I never really got in debt in the first place.  No silver spoon, no trust fund, just on my own and self reliant ever since I started college.  Speaking of college, education costs have grown exponentially since I was in.  I can't remember a single semester (full load plus books) costing more than maybe $400.  Now kids are straddled with six figure student loan debts right out of school.  Crazy.

I started contributing to a 401k with my first job out of college. Based on my savings I hope to wait til age 70 to start drawing social security.  I bought a house I could afford, my monthly payments were ~$400 (not including escrow, taxes and insurance easily double that payment), and finally paid off my mortgage last year. I drove my '85 Honda for 20+ years, sold it with 300k miles on it.  I just tried to never spend money I didn't have.  I think my most expensive mistake was getting married to someone who thought the bank account had no bottom.  Got rid of that liability ~10 years ago, and it took me almost that long to recover financially from that mistake.

I don't say any of this to brag or criticize, just different experiences for different folks.  I wish you the best in your efforts to become debt free.  Just watch out for all those Black Friday sales....  😉

You did it the right way. I'm actually  not that far off. We're selling our house and downsizing, which will take care of everything, including college for my daughters, although I'm still going to make them pay for chunks of it. I've found if you don't have skin in the game, you don't always care as much as you should. 

6 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

You did it the right way. I'm actually  not that far off. We're selling our house and downsizing, which will take care of everything, including college for my daughters, although I'm still going to make them pay for chunks of it. I've found if you don't have skin in the game, you don't always care as much as you should. 

Never a truer word spoken 

Guys...

Things seem to have gotten off-topic here.

Since the site has been taken down my question has now been answered.

This topic can be closed now.

Thanks for the help Darren!

Scott

CNJC-IPMS