FS number for USAF weapons

Oh wow, I had assumed they were all always the same colour.
I only really model jets from the Vietnam war onwards to the early 90s so a Paveway II from the mid 80s or maybe ODS era.

Are they not green any more?

I assumed there would be a FS number for the paint colour... 
Im looking to change paint manufacturer from Humbrol as I dont like them any more

Edited by ElectroSoldier

On USAF bombs the bodies are any faded Olive Drab. LGB seekers are plastic approximating olive drab in color. Fins, “balutes” (bsu-49) etc. tend to be newer looking and might be semi gloss-like and probably 34087ish. Bolt on JDAM kits are 36375. I wouldn't get to caught up on exactness because the ones I saw were often  weathered somewhat and variable. Believe it or not a readily available paint I lean on is Testors Olive Drab in the little bottles. My zietgeist is that color standards are a good starting point but in reality there are visible differences in stuff supposedly painted the same color. Missiles are 36375 except I think you’ll still see AGM-65s in OD. I was never around HARMs but I’m pretty certain they remain white. If  you do an online search you’ll find painting instructions for one of the decal makers who did weapons stencils. There might even be technical orders outlining markings for particular munitions.

47 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

So not all AIM-9's are white?

As for AGM-65 I know that white denotes an EO seeker head while olive drab is IIR.

White AIM-9's were hard to find by the late 80's and on. I don't know my ordnance very well, but I'm going from pictures I've seen over the years. Missiles seemed to be gray by the mid 80's. Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in.

For GP, JDAM and LJDAM Bombs there are two types of bomb bodies used, Mk 80 Series and BLU-1xx Series.

The BLU-1xx Series will be gray, the MK 80 Series will be OD green before the 2005/6, after 2005/6 they can be either OD or gray.

For missiles, again, it depends on variant and time frame. For the AIM-9 Sidewinder, (Generally) the Bravo to Hotel were white, the Lima were white and after time were gray, the Mike was gray (some did have white sections but that was rare) and the Xray was gray.

And as Jim stated, HARM's and ARGAAM's are 36622.

9 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I remember the BLU-109 wearhead mated to the Paveway III was green not grey.
Maybe its grey now but in ODS ear it was green.

What colour was the AIM-9P?

BLU-109/Bs are Tritonal filled AF warheads that are OD with a 3” yellow band; the Navy’s PBXN-109 filled BLU-109A/Bs are light ghost gray with 3 x 2” yellow bands.

AIM-9Ps were gloss white with 2” yellow bands at either end of the warhead, a 2” brown band at the front of the rocket motor, and a black fuze between the motor & warhead. The seeker dome was an opaque gray.

5 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

MrVark do you happen to know a source for a nice AIM-9P?

And if you want the star prize any idea on where I can get the AVQ-26 bay door cover?

Eduards 648197 AIM-9J is a reasonable substitute. The P GCS was 2" shorter than the J's behind the canards, it used a difference fuze, and had a brown band at the front of the motor. So, if you can live with the missile being 0.04" too long, you have your answer.

As for the PAVE Tack cradle, you're on your own, here are a couple of pics of one I made based on the Hobby Boss part. Note that the actual cradle rotated longitudinally, so when the pod wasn't exposed, there was a smooth bump about 4" high exposed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqdpmcnh4fynnij/100513-12 F-111 PT cradle top.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5az9v3hekhiq8q4/100513-13 F-111 PT cradle bottom.jpg?dl=0

• 4 weeks later...