FS number for USAF weapons

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I must say Im defeated on this one now.

Ive always used Humbrol 86 to paint any US bombs such as paveways or any other Mk80 series bomb but Im looking for a none enamel replacement for it and so far Ive come up blank. Ive been out and bought half dozen bottles of paint now or various shades and none of them actually match Humbrol 86 in its shade of green.

It might not be the FS shade for the bombs but it looks pretty close on for slightly weathered.

What do you guys use to paint your bombs how do you do it?
Im only interested in acrylic paints, not enamels and lacquers. The reason Im asking is because I want to move away from them.

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/an-air-to-air-left-underside-view-of-an-f-111-aircraft-flown-by-the-48th-tactical-d0011b

Edited by ElectroSoldier
On 12/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

Sorry that was a typo, i tried FS34088.

I think its 102 myself... Ill get some tomorrow and try it out

I've never read or heard of US bombs being painted 34102 (lighter of the two SEA scheme greens), but rather OD 34088 (or 34087 before the change with FS 595B). Gunze Mr. Hobby (aqueous) does a rendition of 34087 (no. H304) as well as a generic shade (H39) that looks pretty similar. Tamiya has two OD's, XF-62 and XF-74. Neither is matched to FS, but XF-74 looks lighter and greener.

All that aside, even though they start Ou as 34087/8, the warheads are often stored outside and can fade—sometimes a lot. The fins or airfoil groups are stored separately. So, often the warhead is faded, but the fins are not.

2 minutes ago, mrvark said:

All that aside, even though they start Ou as 34087/8, the warheads are often stored outside and can fade—sometimes a lot. The fins or airfoil groups are stored separately. So, often the warhead is faded, but the fins are not.

Yeah I was thinking the same.
I think Humbrol 86 might not be thee colour applied but its a good match for the colour they look like they are after it gets sun bleached and then the sun shining on it.

Can you offer up any ideas on what to try MrVark? Ideally in Vallejo Model Air colour numbers 😄 

28 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Why is Model Master paint so popular in America?

It never really got all that popular here in the UK

I think it's because that's what was readily available when we were younger and building, so we cut our teeth on it. I still use MM Acryl. I absolutely love it. I will be sad when it finally goes away.