KH 1/32 Mirage 2000C out

• 5 weeks later...

I have not seen one.  I do have the kit, though, and can answer some questions.  My initial impressions that I posted at LSP:

- Two radomes included, one has strips (RDY radar) and one without (RDI radar).  Both seem to be set up for nose pitot probe, but that should only be on the smooth RDI radome.

- Four different fin tops with antenna and probe variations.  One of them includes the LAM antenna for MICA EM

- Choice of wingtip antenna (single antenna and dual)

Only IP in the box is the C IP with the square center radar and analog gauges.  You don’t get the -5 IP with the MFDs

- Optional wing root trailing edge fairings, with and without SPIRALE dispensers

No intake ducting.  Intakes open into big empty fuselage where full engine just sits on the inside of the rear fuselage

- Resin Pilot figure and nice resin exhaust included

- antenna options for spine

No throttle.  Disappointing that companies can make detailed kits and cockpits, but not include a throttle lever.

- Six sprues of weapons/pylons (actually three different sprues, each duplicated once), which take up half the box.  Many not used/applicable for this version.  R550 Magic (live and exercise), MICA with choice of IR or EM noses (sadly, only two MICA bodies in the kit, not four), Super R530F, 68mm rocket pods, PDL-CT, PDL-CTS, and ATILS II targeting pods, 1300L and 2000L drop tanks, AS 30L, AUF-2 bomb rack, SCALP/Apache, and CC630 gun pod.  Pylons for inboard and outboard wing, front and rear underfuselage, and centerline.

The molding looks very, very nice, but the big letdown is the inclusion of only the original C Instrument panel.  Really need the inclusion of the -5 panel to fully unlock the potential of the kit and it makes little sense to not include one additional simple part, especially since there are empty spots on the same sprue (plus I suspect you’ll get correct IP in the two-seater boxing in one of those blank spaces, so why not just leave it in?).  From what you get in the box, your best bet is to use the smooth radome and make a C with outboard Magics, inboard Super R530s or tanks, and centerline tank.

i got mine a week ago and posted a question on cockpit color then. Dave is the man on his impressions because they are bang on. Mine too but not as informed because I simply know zilch about this jet other than I like it. It’s hard (for me)to unravel the 2000 especially since there have been improvements to the real thing over time. What markings apply to what improvements and when? Anyway, this is a very nicely molded kit despite being sans intake duct and cockpit variations. 

Dave, thank you sir for your quick reply
detailed review of this kit, your information is really useful. It is a pity that the kit does not include an IP for a Mirage 5- with MFD and other more updated variants of this beautiful bird, at least it seems that we can build an accurate Mirage 2000 C.
So now I can't wait for the two-seater box to arrive, which should be impressive.
In any case, this seems to be the only game in town
to build a Mirage 2000 on this scale. Finally a small interest in this fighter neglected by the 1/32 scale kit manufacturers.
Greetings. 

1/32 scale Mirages. When I used to build 1/32 scale, a Mirage (III, V) kit was the Holy Grail to me as all there was was the old Revell kit and that was a devil to build into a decent Mirage. Ah, what wondrous times we live in.

So Kitty Hawk sticks to their biggest (in my eyes) drawbacks which I hate in Su-35 - non-existent intake ducts and poor weaponry choice. The armory seem great and rich but that's just an illusion, i.e. there are 4 variants of R-27 missile but only 2 bodies in set. And if that's not enough decals cover only one missile of each variant so it's impossible to make them symmetrical. Also lot of stuff to hang on 4 spots under/between nacelles, but most of it require AKU-58 pylons, which are only 2 included in the kit. So this large variety of weapons results in very restricted final choice. 

Those intakes are already disappointing for 48 scale, for 32 it's just silly.

3 hours ago, Tapchan said:

Those intakes are already disappointing for 48 scale, for 32 it's just silly.

For me yes and no. No because the "souris" (the movable shockcones) mask a lot of the intake faces,  Yes because it's a 1/32 kit so the shortcut is less forgivable.

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

For me yes and no. No because the "souris" (the movable shockcones) mask a lot of the intake faces,  Yes because it's a 1/32 kit so the shortcut is less forgivable.

Agreed. It's a disappointment in an otherwise very good kit. I've been pleasantly surprised during construction so far.

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

That's true, but at some angles it's still visible, especially it's large model. I hoped that they are already over it, few released models and years later. Especially I saw intake ducts in Su-34. What I like is seated pilot, they should start including them in each kit.

Not agreeing that this kit has poor weaponry choices.  Yes, two more MICA bodies would have been nice, but that’s about the only failing, and you don’t get the correct IP to make one of the MICA armed versions anyway.  Most of the weapons are obviously for the upcoming 2000D release, and in any case, you do get the ordnance you need for the version kitted, the 2000C.  Magics (live and dummy), Super 530F, rocket pods (rarely carried) and 1300l and 2000l tanks.  The commonly seen loads of outboard Magics, inboard Super 530F, and centerline 1300l tanks, and outboard Magic dummies and inboard 2000l tanks can be done from what’s in the kit.

This looks like a 1/32 kit I actually would consider. Though I will wait to see what it looks like built up compared to photos of the real thing to see if they have the shapes right. As for details Im sure there will be plenty of aftermarket to address anything there.

If you don't include LM 2266 external wing pylon, no need to provide MICA IR... And talking Mirage 2000D's armament by anticipation, it's a big mistake... 2000D doesn't carry MICA EM, even with the in progress RMV which only includes the loading of MICA IR under the wing, specifically what is missing in the kit...