Flying Leathernecks Decals FL48018 AH-1W Shots of Whiskey

Coming in late December and following sheet FL48019 is FL48018. The sheet covers 10 AH-1W's and designed to fit both the Italeri and Kittyhawk kits. Options include the following aircraft :

HMLA-167 -

165362 TV29 (Operation Iraqi Freedom, October 2005)

163932 TV32 (MCAS New River, NC June 2018)

165446 TV42 (Live Fire Exercise, MCAS New River, NC December 2017)

160744 TV47 (Kadena Air Base, Okinawa March 2016)

HMLA-169 160820 SN21 (9/11 tribute aircraft as first painted by 169, OEF, Camp Bastion, Afghanistan, December 2012. Created with the assistance of Sgt. Michael Morgan, airframes NCOIC)

HMLA-267 165326 UV06 (last flight of the AH-1W by 267, 23 March 2012)

HMLA-269 161017 HF59 (Operation Trident Juncture, Vinnu, Norway November 2018)

HMLA-269 165282 HF06 (Flight Training Operations, USS Bataan, May 2013)

HMLA-467 165097 CA29 (MCAS Cherry Point, NC October 2009)

HMLA-369 165448 SM24 (MCAS Yuma, AZ April 2013)

Sheet measures 5.5 x 8.5 inches and is the first of two. The second sheet will focus on ODS, KFOR (Kosovo), OEF and OIF. Retail will be $15.00

48018-AH-1-W-Shots-of-Whiskey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This will be a mid January release. Sheet FL48019 is expected to be shipped by Microscale on the 8th (on or about) of January and this sheet will follow shortly afterward. Sheet FL48021 will follow shortly after this one.

• 1 month later...

Decals shipped on the 21st from Microscale and will be here on Monday, the 27th. Will pack and ship all pre-orders beginning on Wednesday the 29th. Tuesday is my birthday and will be out for the day.

38 minutes ago, Bulldog 09 said:

Hey Dave, any plans for a turned exhaust set or NTS nose for the Italeri kit?

Dave Fassett

Dave,

With the release of the Kittyhawk kit, it may not be worth it to do.

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, denizp said:

All,

I really didn't want to revive a two-year-old thread, but with no Kitty Hawk or "modernized" AH-1W around, are there any resin upgrade sets readily available (or planned) for the exhaust and the NTS nose?

Deniz

Working on an update and conversion now for the Italeri kit. While it lacks in detail, it is dead on accurate in outline and shape when compared to drawings I have from Bell. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I believe it was Trumpeter that picked up the kittyhawk molds. Not sure when the company will be releasing the kits.

While true, no one (or at least no one is saying) knows the status of the AH-1W kit. I've heard it was almost done, I've heard it was done and I've heard it never got past the idea stage. I know for a fact there is another company eyeing a new tooled Whiskey in 48th, but it could realistically be a few years away if they follow through. 

Thanks, Dave. I think new AH-1W resin sets will have a pretty good ROI until any new kit shows up. Between your decal set and the Caracal one, you can only use 2 out of ~18 options with the “available kit”. Even if Trumpeter has the KH molds, it would take them a while to re-release all the existing kits before they get into unfinished projects. And i can never understand why italeri never even tried  to update their molds or repackage with their own resin, like they did with the Abrams, after two major wars.

Deniz

Glad to see someone else is showing interest in an accurate 1/48 Whiskey! Dave, have you ever thought of doing the two-bucket ALE mod for later Whiskeys (both with and without buckets)? I suspect that even if a new tool W is in the works, they might miss out on that little detail.

Semper Fly,

Ski

3 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

Glad to see someone else is showing interest in an accurate 1/48 Whiskey! Dave, have you ever thought of doing the two-bucket ALE mod for later Whiskeys (both with and without buckets)? I suspect that even if a new tool W is in the works, they might miss out on that little detail.

Semper Fly,

Ski

I have the CAD started for the dual bucket mod, but haven't worked on it in a while. However, it will be included in the Whiskey Update/Conversion. I'm working with the company planning the new tool kit, so they know about it. Again, no guarantee the kit will actually be released or released any time soon. 

19 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I have the CAD started for the dual bucket mod, but haven't worked on it in a while. However, it will be included in the Whiskey Update/Conversion. I'm working with the company planning the new tool kit, so they know about it. Again, no guarantee the kit will actually be released or released any time soon. 

Great news all around, Dave!  I haven’t yet built the Italeri Cobras (although I have a ton in the queue), how do the “cheek” bulges on the Whiskey look? Are they an issue? Anything need correcting?

Semper Fly,

Ski

On 4/10/2022 at 7:27 AM, Dave Roof said:

Working on an update and conversion now for the Italeri kit. While it lacks in detail, it is dead on accurate in outline and shape when compared to drawings I have from Bell. 

Oh thank god, super happy to hear this.