While keeping to the subject, i had a closer look at my S.M. 82 Italeri kit. What i found was very surprising.

Kit box: 230 grams.

Booklet/decals: 88 grams.

Empty sprues: 137 grams.

Actual kit parts: 142 grams.

Total weight: 597 grams. 

That huge Italeri box would most likely have enough space inside it to accomodate for 10 S.M. 82 kits. There`s a LOT of dimensional weight hiding in there. 

So wholly concur! Carlin was originally premier and a master, along with Dangerfield and Rickles. He also posits many cogent points- probably all true. An excellent bit of levity for the conversation- THANK YOU, John!

And isn’t Styrene and Resin a hydrocarbon product? If so, I would think that the “Green people” would condemn modelers based solely on that-energy, production, pollution, and disposal issues. I kinda long for the past when we weren’t perfect, but making models with your friends or old man was fun. (No agendas).

On 11/26/2019 at 7:58 PM, Don said:

...Or you could simply place the unused/leftover plastic from your recently completed kit into your normal plastic recycling bin before cracking open another kit to start (rinse and repeat). I've been doing that for years now and I doubt I'm alone. Also...and I am no plastic expert so I'm sure someone here can educate us... but I thought you couldn't use the same plastic over and over again without removing certain bonding agents or such  first to avoid getting brittle or otherwise contaminated plastic. So its not as simple as cleaning the parts off at the factory and throwing the sprue and clippings back into the mix. Either way the cost per kit to do all this would be significantly more then a few bucks. Considering I don't mind clipping and cleaning parts, doing my own recycling, and keeping my modeling within my already tight budget, I'll opt to keep things as is.

Happy modeling!

My 'normal' plastic recycle bin collectors only accepts Nos. 1 and 2 plastic, here in Michigan, but not polystyrene, so recycling all the plastic sprue leftovers is not possible.  

Nonetheless,  I've been collecting and storing ALL my leftover sprue pieces for the past several years.  I now have about 7 pounds of 3mm sized bits accumulated and I'm continually adding to it. Should I continue to cut it all up in small pieces?  

Another day, another finding. Probably my last one for a while. This time, the 1:72 scale SB2C Helldiver from CyberHobby. Again the numbers are striking.

Kit box: 168 grams

Instr/dec/p.e: 42 grams

Empty sprues: 73 grams

Actual kit parts: 40 grams

Total weight: 323 grams/11.39 Oz.

Just wanted to shed some light on this fellers and put things into perspective. There`s money in those numbers. 

Edited by breadneck