ARC is 20 years old!!

5 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Wow. That means the Internut is even older. 

I was fooling around on DARPAnet back in the 80s.

I have one email list I have been subscribed to continuously since the mid 90s.

I came to ARC from rec.models.scale

Yeah I'm old....  (I still use DOS)

History of the WWW:   https://webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

I was fooling around on DARPAnet back in the 80s.

I have one email list I have been subscribed to continuously since the mid 90s.

I came to ARC from rec.models.scale

Yeah I'm old....  (I still use DOS)

History of the WWW:   https://webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/

I remember rec.models.scale . I swear I remember someone asking a question about the legality of posting instruction sheets on a website as a resource for other modelers, and that website became aircraftrescourcecenter.com    I only joined the forum in 2012 but I did read the forum and look the main ARC website pretty much since it began. I want to say the forum came later. Any way, congratulations on 20 years. 

Well Congratultions, but also a big thank you to the founding members for their wisdom in setting it up and the generosity of individuals, vendors and manufacturers and the ceaseless efforts of our admins to keep it going.  Bravo Zulu!  Well done!  

Edited by Dutch

I sometimes wonder what ever happened to some ARC'ers from days long past. I know some have sadly passed on (some former ARC members may have also passed away and we are not even aware of it), some folks have moved on to other interests and no longer build scale models, some have been exiled via the ban, some come and go every now and again, and some just drifted away from ARC for other modeling sites. And then there were the "I quit!" former members :OMG-OMG:. My fellow old heads here probably remember those threads from ARC's early days. Those guys who had to make some long drawn out dramatic exit from ARC announcing why they were quitting. Ahhhh...I miss those...they were entertaining :rofl:.

Good times :cheers:.

4 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I remember rec.models.scale . I swear I remember someone asking a question about the legality of posting instruction sheets on a website as a resource for other modelers, and that website became aircraftrescourcecenter.com    I only joined the forum in 2012 but I did read the forum and look the main ARC website pretty much since it began. I want to say the forum came later. Any way, congratulations on 20 years. 

I remember rec.models.scale too. My friends BBS pulled down all the Usenet sites, and the alt sites, from the local university. His BBS was on a Xenix system. Anyone remember that? Those were heady days as we discovered just what a world wide network could do.

Anyway, to the important stuff. Happy Birthday ARC!. My favorite modeling forum by a long shot. Well done and keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Happy Birthday! :cheers:

I do remember Xenix. Boxes of floppies to install the thing.

YEa, that's what my friend said. Plus he bought BBS software for it. Pretty sophisticated for the day. He worked for a local university, so he got all sorts of AT&T Unix code that he used on the system. A database that we built a front end to using shell scripts. Lots of fun back then.