Kursad I think anything you issue will be well received as the other sheets are mostly long gone. Seen some silly prices for them on evilbay. The silver ones with the old TAC badge on the tail would be great. Also as Nathant mentioned the wrap around camo one is a great idea. I believe that was called "My Karma". Was there not another one in brown and tan camo too?

Edited by skyhawk174

No, these early sheets were not scaled up to 1:48 by Microscale, the business having split up between the two Krasel brothers by then. However,  I do believe that four were scaled down by MS  to 1:144 for the Otaki/Arii kits: 14-95, 14-96, 14-178, 14-179. Check out SCM. Superscale did revamp and release a handful of the early schemes in a couple of 48-800 series sheets. 

Edited by Dutch
On 11/30/2019 at 7:57 AM, sierrascale said:

Were any of these silver Thuds ever upscaled to 1/48? I don't Microscale ever did these in 1/48.

Sheet 48-277 has markings for FH-100 & FH-719 buzz codes but I don't have the instructions handy to see it they were silver.

edit: I was searching the 'net for instructions and I see many Microscale sheets on eBay that are asking as much or more than the price of a new Caracal sheet.  If I could sell all my old Microscale sheets for $16+  each I could retire...  :beer4:

Edited by habu2
On 11/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, KursadA said:

I am sure we can throw in a -B or two on that sheet.

Hey, nothing is too obscure if the idea comes from my top 100 customers, many of whom are very active here. I wouldn't be here without their support. Sometimes I think about sending an email to these 100 folks, set up some kind of reasonable subscription system and basically do a limited-edition sheet a month based on what they want. 

Very intriguing idea. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Kursad,

Sorry for the delay, but here's what I have on the 4th TFW F-105Ds:  Dropbox link   Let me know if it doesn't work.

I've also got some pics of some 4th TFW Bs, including at least one with the pilot's name on the canopy. I can provide those, too, if you ever want to do a short nose Thud.

Ben

On 12/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, habu2 said:

Sheet 48-277 has markings for FH-100 & FH-719 buzz codes but I don't have the instructions handy to see it they were silver.

habu2, if you see the FH-xxx buzz number, it is most likely in the natural metal / duraluminum scheme.  Early camo birds had the last five of the serial number in 6 inch high numerals on the tail in white or possibly tan (on green background) and black (on tan background). 

Edited by Dutch
Model Serial Number Date Squadron Wing Pilot Paint Scheme Markings
F-105D-25-RE 61-0217 April 3, 1965 67th TFS 18th TFW Lt. Col. Robinson Risner Project Lookalike Silver Lacquer 12" Yellow Nose Band, PACAF badge on tail, USAF outstanding unit award badge on nose, 12" black tailcode, light gray tail tip, yellow box  and white text on pilot name
F-105D-31-RE 62-4343 August 8, 1966 354th FS 355th TFW Col. James Kasler Standard SEA scheme white serial on tail, no tail code, white box and black text on pilot name, 6 inch blue/white/blue tail bands, blue radar reflector
F-105D-6-RE 59-1766 September 21, 1966 421st TFS 388th TFW Lt. Karl Richter Reversed SEA scheme Red star under canopy, red box with white text "Lt.K.W.Richter", no tail code, white serial number, red radar reflector on nose gear
F-105D-31-RE 62-4338 February 5, 1967 n/a 355th TFW Col. Jack Broughton Standard SEA scheme "Alice's Joy" on port nose, white USAF and serial on tail, no tail code, white box and black text on pilots name box, 
F-105D-31-RE 62-4284 March 10, 1967 354th TFS 355th TFW Capt. Max Brestel Standard SEA scheme White USAF and serial, no tail code, white box and black text on pilot name, blue radar reflector, white "Mary Kay" on port nose
F-105F-1-RE 63-8352 March 10, 1967 354th FS 355th TFW Capt. Merlyn Dethlefsen Standard SEA scheme black usaf and serial, no tail code, white box and black text on pilot name, blue radar reflector
F-105D-6-RE 60-0426 April 1, 1967 13th TFS 388th TFW Capt. John Dramesi Reversed SEA scheme Black USAF and tail code 60426, yellow box and black aircrew name, yellow radar reflector on nose gear
F-105G-1-RE 63-8301 April 19, 1967 357th TRS 355th TFW Maj. Leo Thorsness Standard SEA scheme Black USAF and white serial on tail, light grey tail tip, yellow radar reflector with black stencil, black box with white aircrew names
F-105D-31-RE 62-4334 April 20, 1967 421st TFS 388th TFW Lt. Karl Richter Standard SEA scheme black usaf and serial, no tail code, red box with white text, red radar reflector on nose gear
Edited by Cameron Lynch

Just one I put together from a number of reference sources on notable F-105s I might want to model.  Probably the single best reference is "Roll Call: Thud" from Schiffer.  As much interest as there is in the earlier "Project Lookalike" F-105s in the silver lacquer...they didn't see a lot of combat before they were repainted in the SEA camouflaged schemes and Operation Rolling Thunder ended and the bombing halt began before much of the fleet began to receive the two letter tail codes.  So unfortunately most of the aircraft during the F-105s most notable operations over North Vietnam were relatively anonymous looking.

Cameron

Edited by Cameron Lynch
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, KursadA said:

I am sure we can throw in a -B or two on that sheet.

Hey, nothing is too obscure if the idea comes from my top 100 customers, many of whom are very active here. I wouldn't be here without their support. Sometimes I think about sending an email to these 100 folks, set up some kind of reasonable subscription system and basically do a limited-edition sheet a month based on what they want. 

I like the sound of that! 

Edited by 82Whitey51