F-16C Block 42/52 1:72 from Tamiya kit

Is it possible?
I know there is no Chance for new 1:72 F-16C Blkock 25/32/42/52 from Tamiya, so maybe it is possible to make it out of Block 50 available?
I know there are some aftermarkets for 1:48 Block 50 to make Block 52, but what about 72 scale? If not, maybe there is possbile to make some simple surgery from Hasegawa's kit?
The biggest problem is with air intake, I do believe it is possbile to fit some aftermarket exhaust nozzle so it is ont a problem, but what abou this intake?
Anyone knows?

Edited by Solo

Block 52 and 50 only differ in the powerplant.

You would need to adapt a "small mouth" intake and P&W F-100 exhaust to adapt to the Tamiya kit.

Scavenge one from a Revell or Hase kit.

I have all three and shall look it up tonight.

48 minutes ago, hemspilot said:

I know differencies between Block 50 and 52, and I know differencies between Revel and Tamiya F-16.
Revel's one has got very different part breakdown then Tamiya's and it is difficult to compose (intake) one with another. I don't know what about Hasegawa, but I am looking for something in resin maybe.

1 hour ago, hemspilot said:

Why not scavenge the whole kit?  I'd just build the Revell and/or Hasegawa as is.  Then you still have the Tamiya to build as a proper B50.

I looked into doing just this. It’s not going to be easy to do. The Hasegawa parts I don’t think will work. Your best bet is to use the Revell and some of the Tamiya parts to make a complete NSI intake.  Now for the exhaust I dry fitted the Aires PW-100 to the fool end of the kit and with a little filler it’ll work just fine. 

4 hours ago, Solo said:

<...> I know there is no Chance for new 1:72 F-16C Blkock 25/32/42/52 from Tamiya, <...>

How's that?

Always hoped Tamiya would release more 1/72 Vipers, along the lines of what they did in 1/48.....

10 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

How's that?

Always hoped Tamiya would release more 1/72 Vipers, along the lines of what they did in 1/48.....

they are masters of bait and switch tactics, their recent 1/72 BF-109G6 and all the War Bird kits they made in the past are a prime example of why chances of having something as simple as a change of parts will not happen, which is pretty stupid cause on 72 scale there is no competition for the F-16, and that's my why:

Hasegawa only makes one offs as limited edition kits, their F-16I being in the catalogue it's the only exception for very obvious and same-ish reasons you will find on magazines, galleries and competitions

Hasegawa kit is also kinda underscale and it is just an Block 10/15 A/B dressed up to whatever they decide to be as long they put all the goodies in a limited edition box

While Revell kit it's good (again for an A and B then with some fixes and rescribing for C/D) their recent policy on less stencils, one option which is mostly keen to be for a freaking hyper sonic parakeet and increased price are forcing people to chase AM decals which there is a big lack of if cause "they don't sell" (.cit)

Italeri lastly updated their molds on 2007 by adding ADF parts and nothing else...they should really start an aftermarket decals business

Fujimi and Esci were pretty similar but at least on the Esci kit payload was ok, just stay away from ERTL/AMT reboxes cause there are high chances for the plastic being way too soft and filled with flash

Academy is a joke and only good to steal its weapons, pylons and whatever and slap them on Revell kit or Tamiya's weaponless one

Luigi

14 hours ago, Mizar said:

they are masters of bait and switch tactics, their recent 1/72 BF-109G6 and all the War Bird kits they made in the past are a prime example of why chances of having something as simple as a change of parts will not happen, which is pretty stupid cause on 72 scale there is no competition for the F-16, and that's my why:

Hasegawa only makes one offs as limited edition kits, their F-16I being in the catalogue it's the only exception for very obvious and same-ish reasons you will find on magazines, galleries and competitions

Hasegawa kit is also kinda underscale and it is just an Block 10/15 A/B dressed up to whatever they decide to be as long they put all the goodies in a limited edition box

While Revell kit it's good (again for an A and B then with some fixes and rescribing for C/D) their recent policy on less stencils, one option which is mostly keen to be for a freaking hyper sonic parakeet and increased price are forcing people to chase AM decals which there is a big lack of if cause "they don't sell" (.cit)

Italeri lastly updated their molds on 2007 by adding ADF parts and nothing else...they should really start an aftermarket decals business

Fujimi and Esci were pretty similar but at least on the Esci kit payload was ok, just stay away from ERTL/AMT reboxes cause there are high chances for the plastic being way too soft and filled with flash

Academy is a joke and only good to steal its weapons, pylons and whatever and slap them on Revell kit or Tamiya's weaponless one

Luigi

Academy’s kit is a joke? How so?

Mark

4 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Mark

Disregarding Academy's earlier YF-16 (sometimes marketed as F-16A) kit and their Snap-Tite F-16,

The newer Academy 1/72 Viper is a wasted opportunity. They could have ruled the 1/72 Viper world if not for the fact that the kit has shape issues, especially the nose & front fuselage areas. The kit actually has awesome details in the form of panel lines, rivets and a very good weapons load. But unfortunately, it just doesn't look right when built up. To me, it's the equivalent of Revell's 1/72 F-4F Phantom....great details, but, something ain't right about it's shape when built.

When it comes to F-16s, the Japanese kits still lead the way (Hasegawa and Tamiya).  If only Tamiya would do what they've been doing with their 1/72 A6M Zero kits:  make multiple versions of the F-16 and price it similarly to their current F-16CJ.  It's basically a license for Tamiya to print money.

I never understood why Tamiya ( and Fujimi with their Skyhawks, A-7 Corsairs, etc) keep sleeping on their gold mines instead of milking them for all their worth. :explode:

7 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Mark

See JackMan post

2 hours ago, JackMan said:

Disregarding Academy's earlier YF-16 (sometimes marketed as F-16A) kit and their Snap-Tite F-16,

The newer Academy 1/72 Viper is a wasted opportunity. They could have ruled the 1/72 Viper world if not for the fact that the kit has shape issues, especially the nose & front fuselage areas. The kit actually has awesome details in the form of panel lines, rivets and a very good weapons load. But unfortunately, it just doesn't look right when built up. To me, it's the equivalent of Revell's 1/72 F-4F Phantom....great details, but, something ain't right about it's shape when built.

When it comes to F-16s, the Japanese kits still lead the way (Hasegawa and Tamiya).  If only Tamiya would do what they've been doing with their 1/72 A6M Zero kits:  make multiple versions of the F-16 and price it similarly to their current F-16CJ.  It's basically a license for Tamiya to print money.

I never understood why Tamiya ( and Fujimi with their Skyhawks, A-7 Corsairs, etc) keep sleeping on their gold mines instead of milking them for all their worth. :explode:

I will have to buy some Academy kits anyway just to clone or steal the countermeasures installed on wing Aim-120 launchers as Modern Hobbies seems to be gone and no one tackled that subject.

Problems with that kit are not only in the nose area, intake lip points upward and the rear fuselage section funnels way too much, those problems can be fixed with some work, but the nose section requires replacement or a big boobie job and for me it's not worth the hassle

Fujimi also has some other gold mines in form of model kit cars, it's too bad that Rosso molds were lost during the fire but again they are neglecting some subjects that are being taken over by Aoshima and Aoshima it is not releasing Initial D or Wangan Midnight kits with resin figures and other goodies while Fujimi had the entire line of Initial D cars minus Honda S2000 Spoon (lost opportunity by Tamiya), the NSX NA1 with GT1ish body kit (Fujimi only made NA1 with 2003 facelift and Tamiya did 3 different NA1 Acura included but none with street legal body kits), I'm not sure about Evos used by the thugs and a couple of others

Luigi

On 11/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, Mizar said:

How so, I just matched the Hasegawa parts from the F-16E to the Tamiya F-16CJ (Blk.50) and other than for the slightly different breakdown they are a perfect dimensional match.

The Hasegawa kit is not underscale nor is it a Block 10.  

I’ve never seen an Italeri ADF kit in 72nd. And I’m pretty sure the most recent Italeri F-16 release in 72nd was in 2000 not 2007. 

Where are you getting your information?

10 hours ago, habu2 said:

I’ve never seen an Italeri ADF kit in 72nd. And I’m pretty sure the most recent Italeri F-16 release in 72nd was in 2000 not 2007. 

Habu, Italeri did release their 1/72 "F-16" as a Special Colors Italian Air Force ADF.

I checked the sprues and they added the different wingtip rails for the Slammers and the fin base bulges with the guidance for the Sparrows.

4 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Habu, Italeri did release their 1/72 "F-16" as a Special Colors Italian Air Force ADF.

I checked the sprues and they added the different wingtip rails for the Slammers and the fin base bulges with the guidance for the Sparrows.

I knew they did it in 48th did not realize they also did the 72nd release thanks.

16 hours ago, hemspilot said:

How so, I just matched the Hasegawa parts from the F-16E to the Tamiya F-16CJ (Blk.50) and other than for the slightly different breakdown they are a perfect dimensional match.

That is great news. Have you any picture of such Hasegawa intake fitted to hull of Tamiya's F-16?

17 hours ago, hemspilot said:

16 hours ago, habu2 said:

This is a big IF, but if you match Hasegawa F-2A with Hasegawa F-16 something comes short, ok those two are different machines but if they kept basic F-16 fuselage and added the extra stuff required for the enlarged wing and equipment you will notice that the bottom fuselage section comes short, yet if you match Revell and Tamiya parts with Hasegawa F-2A the lower section is nearly a spot on.

Hasegawa only released the F-16A/B versions I messed it up cause of course they are just F-16A/B Block 15 dressed up as whatever Hasegawa decides them to be.

Italeri revised their kit different times, Scalemates explains it as new parts but I just like to go deeper

Box 130 labeled as Italaerei and also Italeri with green/orange/no band contained FSD-ish parts with longer drop tanks, GBU and Aim-7

First revision of box 130 killed off the FSD sprue and replaced it with a standard Block 15 sprue

Second revision added box 188 parts due Italeri releasing the F-16C/D

Then on 2007 they revised 188 box by adding ADF related parts which sometimes seems to be standard even for no ADF boxes as I have seen Italeri kits reboxed by Tamiya wth ADF parts.

Luigi

48 minutes ago, Mizar said:

This is a big IF, but if you match Hasegawa F-2A with Hasegawa F-16 something comes short, ok those two are different machines but if they kept basic F-16 fuselage and added the extra stuff required for the enlarged wing and equipment you will notice that the bottom fuselage section comes short, yet if you match Revell and Tamiya parts with Hasegawa F-2A the lower section is nearly a spot on.

Hasegawa only released the F-16A/B versions I messed it up cause of course they are just F-16A/B Block 15 dressed up as whatever Hasegawa decides them to be.

Luigi

The Mitshubishi F-2 is a larger aircraft all around, not just a larger wing with two extra hardpoints.

There are 5.5mm of difference between the length of the Hasegawa F-16 and the F-2, exactly the same difference that there is between the Hasegawa F-2 and the Tamiya F-16.

Because the F-2 is also longer by 0.46m. Hasegawa got that right.

All the length difference goes from the back of the main ldg gear bay to the beginning of the exhaust nozzle.

The way the Hasegawa F-2 and the Tamiya F-16 are broken down you can pretty much fwd upper fuselage parts and the are exactly the same length and they have matching cockpit position.

Other than the evolution of the fin, the intake shape and the engine nozzle, and other that various small intakes, antennas, bumps and strenghtening plates up to the blk.40, there are no dimensional differences between a blk.15 with the enlarged stabilizers and a block 60.

The only difference was in the smaller radomes and stablizers for the pre-production serials.

So, I see no problems with Hasegawa going the way they went.

The details can be adjusted as Hasegawa did.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

That is great news. Have you any picture of such Hasegawa intake fitted to hull of Tamiya's F-16?

Solo, that comment was referred to the dimensional comparison of the Hasegawa and TAMIYA f-16s.

Unfortunately the parts brakdown makes it very laborious to switch the Hasegawa intake into the Tamiya.

When I worked at GD/Lockheed I worked on both F-16 programs and the FS-X / F-2 program so I can confidently state they don't have the same fuselage or the same dimensions.  Yes they share similar designs and to the uninitiated they may look similar, but they are no more the same than the F/A-18C/D is to the the F/A-18E/F.

Back to the original question, your best bet for parts swapping may be the Kinetic 1/72 kits. Like their 1/48th cousins, parts breakdown is almost identical to Tamiya.  Kinetic released two kits in 72nd, both had NSI inlets and PW exhausts that would work for any 25/32/42/52 versions.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k72001-f-16i-sufa-israel-f-16i-sufa-storm--128809

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k72002-f-16d-block-52-polish-air-force-hellenic-air-force-fighting-falcon--159770

3 minutes ago, habu2 said:

When I worked at GD/Lockheed I worked on both F-16 programs and the FS-X / F-2 program so I can confidently state they don't have the same fuselage or the same dimensions.  Yes they share similar designs and to the uninitiated they may look similar, but they are no more the same than the F/A-18C/D is to the the F/A-18E/F.

Back to the original question, your best bet for parts swapping may be the Kinetic 1/72 kits. Like their 1/48th cousins, parts breakdown is almost identical to Tamiya.  Kinetic released two kits in 72nd, both had NSI inlets and PW exhausts that would work for any 25/32/42/52 versions.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k72001-f-16i-sufa-israel-f-16i-sufa-storm--128809

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k72002-f-16d-block-52-polish-air-force-hellenic-air-force-fighting-falcon--159770

Mmmmmh, excellent.

As a corollary you may be able to obtain a UAE Blk.60 two seater.