CD48160 - 1/48 F-16 "Viper" - The Early Years

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cag_200 said:

That picture (Rome) shows an ordinary F-16. One can see the old paint, strakes are not like the YF-16.

it is definitely YF #2.  It has the YF strakes but the nose has been modded to mount a production radome. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 1:12 AM, KursadA said:

The wait is almost over - I will enable preorders on Wednesday and start shipping next week. Here is the first set of profiles:

cd48160profiles1.jpg

cd48160profiles2.jpg

Kursad- "First" set of profiles?  There are more?!

I looked at a couple of the YouTube videos of #1 flight testing.  Are my eyes deceiving me or were the main gear doors split as well for a while like the nose gear door?

Chappie

3 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

I thought I read the Monogram F-16 is pretty accurate for the YF-16 in 1/48. Anyone else know more?

The Kiddyland molds best capture the YF-16 in 1/48

14 hours ago, Chappie said:

Kursad- "First" set of profiles?  There are more?!

At the time I made the post, I had only uploaded the first set of six profiles covering the two YF-16 prototypes (1567/1568). I will edit the post now - all the options on the sheet are shown on the profiles currently there. Although it may be possible to squeeze out a couple more (568 in all-gray scheme, etc.) using the early stencilling provided on the sheet.

9 minutes ago, KursadA said:

At the time I made the post, I had only uploaded the first set of six profiles covering the two YF-16 prototypes (1567/1568). I will edit the post now - all the options on the sheet are shown on the profiles currently there. Although it may be possible to squeeze out a couple more (568 in all-gray scheme, etc.) using the early stencilling provided on the sheet.

Okay, just curious.  In watching those early videos at the beginning of the thread, there are all kinds of weapons options on '567- GBU-10s, AIM-7s, etc.  Cool cool stuff. I've only got one Monogram kit, so I'm gonna have to hit up eBay to see if I can get a couple more before they are all snapped up!  LOL!

11 hours ago, KursadA said:

Although it may be possible to squeeze out a couple more (568 in all-gray scheme, etc.) using the early stencilling provided on the sheet.

The “all-gray” 568 scheme was actually a multi-gray “air superiority” scheme similar to what the F-15 wore. The early Tamiya kit instructions have 3-views of this pattern, if you don’t have it I can send you a copy. 

edit: sent to info@......

Edited by habu2
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:13 AM, habu2 said:

The Kiddyland molds best capture the YF-16 in 1/48

Hi,

I've never heard of  Kiddyland. Are these still available? Were they re-boxed by anyone?

Charlie D. mentioned the Monogram kit. Did they ever release a real F-16A, or is any 1/48 F-16A in a Monogram box a YF-16? 

Cheers, Stefan.

A recent search showed Kiddyland kits were hard to find.  Check scalemates.com for boxings.

I hope to do a comparison thread of Monogram, Ertl/Esci/AMT, Tamiya, Hobbycraft and Otaki/ARRI kits - if I can find the time.

Short story, the Tamiya kit appears identical to the Kiddyland kit until you try to match fuselage halves - Tamiya incorporated the production fuselage stretch and is thus longer than the Kiddyland YF fuselage.  Hobbycraft is a direct copy of Tamiya.

Monogram and Ertl/Esci/AMT are very similar in detail and parts breakdown.  Both mix prototype (YF) and production (FSD) details.

Otaki/ARII captures most YF details but has a noticable hump behind the cockpit that throws it off visually.

Revell's "A" is essentially an FSD airframe.  Backdating a Hasegawa kit to FSD can be done with a little attention to detail and would be the best option for FSD.

Italeri is also an option but is probably going to be more expensive and more work than an early Hasegawa kit.