Wasn’t there a topic on the Modelsvit Mirage III E kit from last year? Couls not find it, but anyway this is a brand new kit with new tool. At the time the Mirage IIIE kit received a lot of flak due to the overall riveting and the break down of parts. Noteworthy was the wing division. I believe it was a great idea to have the joint line away from panel lines making it easier to clean up. I also like the riveting for the natural metal finished aircraft. But of course this is only my opinion. I know that from French sources some critique was put forward towards the nose shape.

I have the kit and it is perfect with some amazing details. Remember this is 72nd scale kit and some of the details are worthy of a 32nd kit.

Listening to criticism Modelsvit decided to redo the kit. Completely new tool.

The latest news is that sprues are in the finishing stages of work. And yes, there are no rivets all over the airframe. The wing structure was changed making it possible to drop control surfaces. Have no idea about the nose cone question but I am sure Laurent will have a word or two about it.

The kit looks good overall.

2UKBg6n.jpg

M4ywozV.jpg

qWz88nh.jpg

pXtTWbs.jpg

FQ0noU8.jpg

mEYxuKg.jpg

4fijyNl.jpg

So I will have to invest in another Mirage III it seems.

Best regards

Gabor

I am constantly amazed at the level of detail being put into some of these new 1/72 kits. They easily surpass many 1/48 and as you say Gabor, 1/32 kits. Makes me want to get one of these little wonders and see if I could manage building a small kit. If so, I might have to sell off my 1/48 kits and start over :whistle:

14 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Well then, there is hope!

With the skill they've shown in doing 1/72 kits, I would think if they did 1/48 scale of the same subjects, the kits would be excellent.  I don't hold out much hope for them doing 1/48 jets anytime soon, but I may be wrong (I hope I'm wrong).

4 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I would think if they did 1/48 scale of the same subjects, the kits would be excellent. 

Not a doubt they would, Mark. It's only that forward fuselage in the Modelsvit Mirage kit I see in the picture that it's the next thing to the Heller 1/48 Mirage IIIC/B kit, which I still think it's a lifetime better shapewise to the Kinetic kit - especially the radome/nose shape.

Still keep five 1/48 Heller kits somewhere in my stash that I got aeons ago, even though I've purchased every 1/48 Kinetic/Wingman Models Mirage kits there are out there.

There is one important side to Modelsvit, the present technology they use is a limited production version where the maximum number of sprues is only 2000 pieces. 

This influeneces a lot of things.

To make a jet or to make a 48th scale Mustang the differences almost zero. A lot of sprues and a higher price of course. But then again you have the An-225 coming soon from them and it is not a small one!

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

There is one important side to Modelsvit, the present technology they use is a limited production version where the maximum number of sprues is only 2000 pieces.

Mmmh I rather think that Modelsvit uses two types of toolings. A short-run type ("red Limited Edition" boxings... galvanized resin tooling ?) for the "exotic" subjects (Soviet prototypes for example) and a mid-run type ("green Limited Edition"... aluminium tooling ?) for more mainstream subjects like the Mirage family. I'm not sure about the "yellow Limited Edition".

I have spent about 2 or 3 hours talking with Modelsvit founder and his son at Moson this year. The question of press forms never surfaced for the simple reason that I did not want to force them into questions which are company secrets for obvious reasons. The only part of the discussion was about the durability and the limited nature of the tools.

I was far more interested in the kits they are making, design, company history. . .  then into what kind of tools they are using. For us modellers the important question is what we get on our workbench!

Modelsvit people were great to talk too, some very interesting innovative ideas and a great range with very high quality! People can judge for themselves from photos of sprues or kits they have. They also have a professional distribution chain helping customers. Perfect combination.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

The question of press forms never surfaced for the simple reason that I did not want to force them into questions which are company secrets for obvious reasons.

AFAIK this isn't a sensitive subject at all. Sales figures, profite margins, future projects are.

I've bought just one IIIE but I'll buy the E/EBR boxing as I appreciate the fact they reworked the nose and separated the elevons.

Edited by Laurent
41 minutes ago, Murph said:

Is there a release date?

Regards,

Murph

Not one that I know.

In yesterday’s news they did say (only in the Russian version) that some final adjustments are made right now to the tools and the images above are a (not so sneak) preview of what is to come in the kit. :clap2:

Based on “traditions” so far when images like this are shown by Modelsvit the release is not so far. I would say few months.

Hope that for next years Moson (which is April  twenty twenty) I will be able to buy it.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, pacheco said:

I hope to see decals for Argentinian Low-Viz version. 

Luis, isn't this the box art?

75282370-2476866579101006-61740656661029

That's clearly an Argentinian IIIEA in low-vis markings on the box art.

2 hours ago, jenshb said:

The Kinetic kit left me rather disappointed...

I wholly concur, Jens.

And yes, there are no rivets all over the airframe

😟 I was hoping that they'd do a Mirage IIIC before re-tooling to "no rivets" for the Mirage IIIE variants.  I think Mirage IIIC with rivets would be awesome for those bare metal schemes.

I do agree that the rivets would be important for any natural metal example. But if one looks at responses to the original first Mirage III E release with rivets then it is evident that not everyone shares this point of view.

Oh well.

Mind you the fact that now they made a “no rivet” version of the E would not essentially mean that if a C version is made later that it will not be a riveted version. Lets hope.

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 months later...