This was a stash clearer with nostalgia, I wanted to do this scheme as it reminded me of the first Monogram kits I saw as a kid in the Roses department store. 

I had a couple bottles of Air Superiority Blue saved for a Hasegawa kit, I replaced kit items with an older ESCAPAC seat and different wheels then added the air brake stiffener. Mixed my own metallic green for the cockpit rear.  Decals were mostly Superscale stencils and some Caracal for unit and insignia.

The blue scheme is sort of unique in that it is glossy underneath and matt on top. I used Hataka Air Superiority Blue overall and on the matt areas I added thin coats of Lifecolor Air Superiority Blue (which has slightly purple hue to Hataka’s slightly greenish hue of blue) on the top and sides.

4DLB7lt.jpg

jrSSopF.jpgMyDsGTK.jpg?1QyojZib.jpgBJ6yI4E.jpgUPqCtmC.jpgiustXfa.jpggYKsnfI.jpgsQIDi2b.jpgfrWWo0L.jpg

Paul...

.I saw this over on BM but seeing it twice doesn't deter ME from drooling over it.

Its STUNNING Model  :worship:

and the book you had for reference is great .. I think I may have the same book in the garage loft...   :rofl:

KUDOS .

On 12/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, AD-4N said:

Which kit?  Where did you source the wheels?  

Hasegawa and I used the old Tamiya F-15A wheels. 

On 12/3/2019 at 12:49 AM, cbear said:

Were the Luke Eagles still in Air Superiority Blue when they had the candy cane and Sabre stripes?

Yes!

jktUQaP.jpg

17 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

What nozzles did you use? 

They were some older Cutting Edge I was pleased to finally use (not many turkey feathers these days)

45 minutes ago, AeroplaneDriver said:

Where in the Carolinas did you grow up to have bought Monogram kits at Roses??

Moore County, grew up in Southern Pines and Carthage.  Roses was our big store, they had a whole aisle of models and Testors paint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 5:36 AM, paulsbrown said:

I had a couple bottles of Air Superiority Blue saved for a Hasegawa kit, I replaced kit items with an older ESCAPAC seat and different wheels then added the air brake stiffener. Mixed my own metallic green for the cockpit rear.  Decals were mostly Superscale stencils and some Caracal for unit and insignia.

The blue scheme is sort of unique in that it is glossy underneath and matt on top. I used Hataka Air Superiority Blue overall and on the matt areas I added thin coats of Lifecolor Air Superiority Blue (which has slightly purple hue to Hataka’s slightly greenish hue of blue) on the top and sides.

4DLB7lt.jpg

Paul,

Very nice job on this "Old-school" looking Eagle. Really enjoyed the attention to details,

especially the way you did (painted) the engines... outstanding results!

• 5 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

Thank you. Candy stripes will look great with that bright blue.

That's the way I remember doing the kit the first time in 1979.  Now with the internet and a lifetime later, I'm confused as to whether it's truly FS15450/35450 or modern grays!

• 2 weeks later...