Which 1/32 Tamiya Airplane: P-51 or Spit?

Hi All,

At some point, I'd like to try my hand at one of the 'big gun' 1/32 scale Tamiya airplanes.  I wouldn't want to build more than one, primarily due to space available to display them once completed, so I've ben pondering either one of the 1/32 Spitfires (probably the IXc) or one of the P-51Ds.  I love both of those airplanes, so it would be a difficult choice to make.  That said, is there a reason to pick the Spitfire over the P-51 (or the reverse) based on the kits themselves (that is, is one of them 'better' than the other, in any category [fit, accuracy, engineering]) or are they equally good?  I really want to get one of them.  Thoughts, opinions?  Thanks.

Really comes down to which aircraft floats your boat.  Quality wise, they are equals. I’m building the Mustang right now.   Magnificent kit but compared to their later Corsairs, it’s a bit more gimmicky with movable control surfaces, retractable landing gear etc.   

if it helps, there is a boatload of aftermarket stuff (hundreds of decals, lots of resin, etc) for the Mustang, less for the Spit.   

If if you can’t decide, flip a coin.  You’ll be happy either way.  

I kind of figured that the answers you have given me would be the answers I’d get.  However, I wanted to ask, in case I may have missed something.   I really appreciate you all taking the time you did to give me your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

I'd say both. Don't waste a flip.

Now THERE'S an option!   :clap2:   I just wish I had the room!

Edited by Curt B
2 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Last time I checked they fit into Detolf case which in turn can be easily doubled in capacity.

LOL, it's not about having room to buy the model(s) and get them back to the house, rather, it's how to find places to display them once the airplanes are complete!

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Ahhhhh, I see!  That cabinet would be great to display bigger airplanes, for sure!.  Thanks for clarifying!

Well, it is not that big. 1/48 Flanker or MiG-25/31 don't fit, but most 1/32 WW 2 fighters do. It can hold 2 smaller 1/48 jets on a single shelf like Kfir and Draken or couple of M346/Yak-130.  Large 1/32 jets can be placed on top, there is enough space even for 1/32 Flanker.

Edited by Helmsman

Oh wow, cool!  My wife is gracious enough to let me have one of the glass doored cabinets in our entertainment center to put models in, and thus far, I’ve only put 1/35 tanks and 1/48 single seat WWII fighters in there, but the Ikea cabinet would be great for the planes you have all mentioned... and I think I have a spot for the cabinet!

Edited by Curt B

At the risk of being far too practical, ask yourself which model you'd do a better job building.

If you go with the D-Mustang, ask yourself how good you are doing metal finishes (since most D's are NMF).

If you're better or more comfortable with paint finishes, go with the Spitfire.

As you say, they are large models when finished, so put your best foot forward.

If you're equally good with both NMF and camo...you're back where you started. 🙂

Edited by JohnEB
9 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I’d be very interested to know where you read that.  Can you link to your source?

Thanks,

Steve

No problem Steve! 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064206-new-tamiya-mustang-132/

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA 60328

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/12/some-upcoming-2020-tamiya-releases/

19 hours ago, JohnEB said:

At the risk of being far too practical, ask yourself which model you'd do a better job building.

If you go with the D-Mustang, ask yourself how good you are doing metal finishes (since most D's are NMF).

If you're better or more comfortable with paint finishes, go with the Spitfire.I

As you say, they are large models when finished, so our your best do it forward.

If you're equally good with both NMF and camo...you're back where you started. 🙂

Great thoughts, John, thanks.  At this point, I'm an NMF newbie, so perhaps the Spitfire WOULD be a better choice...at least to start.

I know I could do research myself, but in a short synopsis, what are the differences between a WWII P-51D and a Korean war F-51?

2 hours ago, JohnEB said:

As I recall the main difference was by Korea, the Mustangs had their tail wheels fixed and not retractable....so I believe they didn't have doors.

Likely different antennas too.

I’ve seen a few with fixed tail wheels, but also some with the normal tail wheel doors, so it might be an added option in the kit.  My read on the main differences is that many had uncuffed HamStand props, and rocket rail stubs under the wings.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’ve seen a few with fixed tail wheels, but also some with the normal tail wheel doors, so it might be an added option in the kit.  My read on the main differences is that many had uncuffed HamStand props, and rocket rail stubs under the wings.

In addition to those mods, they had a wide range of radios behind the pilot, many also had been retrofitted with cooling vents on the fuselage sides, above the radiator intake.   

An F-51 with retracting tail-wheel was most likely one stationed in the Far East when the war started.  Those taken from boneyards and refurbished will have had the tail wheels fixed in place and doors removed.

As for differences, not many.  Refurbs differed in the fixed tail wheel mentioned above, cuffless HS props, black cockpits, different radio(s), and possibly puttyless wings.

17 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

An F-51 with retracting tail-wheel was most likely one stationed in the Far East when the war started.  Those taken from boneyards and refurbished will have had the tail wheels fixed in place and doors removed.

As for differences, not many.  Refurbs differed in the fixed tail wheel mentioned above, cuffless HS props, black cockpits, different radio(s), and possibly puttyless wings.

Just as a point of clarification, the vast majority of Mustangs in Korea didn't come from storage yards, they were stripped from state-side National Guard units.  These are the ones that exhibit most of the modifications you listed (and also most had the fuselage radiator vents that you didn't mention).   For a very early war F-51, those aircraft appear to be almost WW2 stock D-25's and D-30's.