MiG-21PFM Eduard 72nd Revolution

Something that went largely unnoticed at Plastikova Zima were few sprues in a dark corner of the Eduard stand. They were none other than the brand new MiG-21PFM kit which is scheduled for release in January twenty twenty.

This is the second stage in the 72 nd MiG-21 story from Eduard introducing three brand new sprues and some modifications to one of the common sprues.  One of them is Frame F exclusively for the PFM version with main fuselage parts, wings and the fin dorsal tank along with other smaller parts. One of the bigger problems with the MF kits was eliminated by redesign of the wing brake down. And in comparison with MF’s we get a separate rudder after in most cases it was deflected one way or the other.

Jd4kxgO.jpg

An interesting Frame is H which will be common with the PF version later next year. It has cockpit parts for both PF and PFM, introduces the SK seats which of course will be only for the PF version. A beautiful GP-9 gun container, all the different antennas including some microscopic ones too.

ySwg7t3.jpg

Frame I is for clear parts and once again it is for both PF and PFM. Two versions of the forward opening canopy (for later PF version) where one is intended for a closed, the other for the open position. Instrument panels in the now standard multi versions, so no points for guessing that there will be both decal and photoetch alternatives for the instruments.

hh4QbmB.jpg

On Frame D seen before in the MF versions some corrections were made and there is also the weapons sprue which is exactly the same as on earlier 72 nd scale 21’s.

w63Y3VY.jpg

So even if the 72 nd revolutions has slowed down a bit (according to some), it is on track and in a months time the PFM kit will be out. As far as I know the next one, the MiG-21PF is due for around Moson but we did not speak about this with Mr. Sulc at Plastikova Zima. For the moment the PFM will be here and we should indulge in this one!

Best regards

Gabor  

Edited by ya-gabor
11 hours ago, tony.t said:

Many thanks for posting Gabor. Looks like a lovely model. 

Wish we'd get a PF and PFM in 1/32. I have the 1/48 Profimodeller editions and those are quite exquisite.

Tony 

Yes, this new MiG-21PFM is a nice kit and even more!!!  A lot of things were changed for better on this kit in comparison with the earlier MiG-21MF. I will go into it later.

A 32 nd scale kit is of course unlikely from Eduard (but never say never). Not really, far too much investment, size limitations ( I mean injection moulding tool and machine). Mind you looking at sales of the Mustang one would consider, but a MiG-21 is a risky investment today. It could have been an enormous hit back in late 1980’s or early 1990’s.

Best regards

Gabor

"Yeah, nice addition, but where's my bis?" was of course my initial reaction (knowing the bis was postponed until... never?) but now that you showed the marking options, why not!

Funny thing, I was just fiddling (quite seriously, actually) with my Trumpeter 1/32 MF with the help of the WWP book. Despite of the long list of corrections needed, I was slowly warming. Until I bumped into a thread somewhere where a guy had found out the nose area is seriously too short. The shape of it is known to be rather bad, but the length issue really put me down...

GweS14j.jpg

Let’s have a closer look at the kit. The surface is even better than it was on the MF version (in my opinion). A lot of things were changed. This includes the brake-down of the wing parts. It is immediately visible that the sink marks are not present due to the design.

Surface has nice engraved lines and rivets.

NqIGlTo.jpg

vBKSS2J.jpg

Same on the fin.

pOui7xh.jpg

The GP-9 gun pack looks nice and detailed for 72nd scale.

755ojF1.jpg

I know the SK seat is on the common PF/PFM sprue and it will be for the PF but I had to have a closer look at it.  : )  : )   : )

QOQS84c.jpg

and do a quick test build of it. Simply could not resist it.  : )  : )   : )

GjW00gi.jpg

A quick dry-run of some main parts to see what they look like together. Mainly the big fuel tank/fin combo with the fuselage parts. 

UYxn3N7.jpg

JNpNfCd.jpg

Remember in the MF kits the cockpit had some really fine details for the instruments. Well it is all here again. Now it is only a question of some paint and a fine brush! : )

nInA2UE.jpg

RXeaxaZ.jpg

Best regards

Gabor 

Hi Gábor,

Thanks for the detailed analysis, the kit looks really nicely moulded.

The ejection seat is also very good, mostly after acknowleding that it is 1:72 scale.

Hope I can see the results after you put your fine brushes into action. 🤗

Enjoy the build!
Cheers,

Pali

Fortunately the engraved rivets were added to the underside of the wing part F16. On previous MF kits rivets were raised positive versions. I did not really like them as most were lost during injection moulding and it was a pain in the axx to replace them all one by one.

vYEeCoO.jpg

As part of the dry run assembly I tried to fit the GP-9 gun pack to the underside. Note that the main airbrake panel is not the one which should be used. I will have on my example an open airbrake and the gun will not be fitted.

h0hhhaq.jpg

ABM9HZo.jpg

Fine details are there on internal parts like the undercarriage bays. More than most provide in 72nd scale. Careful painting is all that is needed.

vmyN1e2.jpg

Speaking of painting I prepared some parts for primer, after all what good has a kit if it is not built. Here the cockpit side panels and the instrument panel.

qZ7GByy.jpg

The new PFM inherited from the MF kits the afterburner section on the common D sprue. The pipe is made of two parts but with this a very much so visible joint line is created and the internal details are getting lost around the seam.

JShmh24.jpg

The joint line was filled with pieces of stretched sprue with super glue. The internal circular weld lines were made the same way.  A quick replacement was made for the corrugated details. Now it can also go into the paint shop.

YWq2dft.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gene K

The “quick replacement” was really quick. : )  : )   : )

The one at the very end of the can was made from a strip of ordinary kitchen aluminium foil cut to appropriate width. For the corrugation some old soft drink bottle cups were used. Had to look around for suitable size and frequency of ribs. Some Micro Metal foil adhesive was used for initial positioning of the strip. It was cut to appropriate length and for final fixing super glue in very small amounts was added which simply run into the underside of the corrugations. It was quick and all over in less than 20 minutes or so.

The heat shield corrugation on the engine end of the can was little more elaborate job. A thicker alu foil was used so that it will hold the shape better. The actual Eduard part was used as a template for the “waves” of the corrugation. The alu strip was held in place and wave after wave was added till I had a suitably long piece to go around the inside of the can.

Here it was simply super glue bit by bit. That is all.

It took a bit longer than the other one but the end result is what I wanted, no joint line visible and the internal details restored.

Of course one can go the aftermarket route (order a new engine and all . . .)  but here I plan to do a really quick build and using as much of the original kit as possible. Only minimal correction and detailing is added. Try to restrain myself in this part of the build. : )   : )   : )

Actually it all started as a very quick “no paint” just the test sprues kind of naked plastic build to see what this new Eduard MiG-21PFM would look like. One can do that in no time, but you get bogged down with personal expectations. Adding a bit here and there, just a drop of paint inside and ending with doing a full “colour” build.

Best regards

Gabor

Here is a little update on this new kit. A splash of paint on some internal parts which need to be prepared before I close up the fuselage and wings. All sorts of bits and pieces were painted.

4GjoGTs.jpg

Concentrated on the engine exhaust parts. After primer a grey metallic colour was added. Mainly MRP Graphite lightened up a little and some added alu. Contrary to general belief the engine cans are not black or dark grey inside but in places even light grey with slight metallic sheen. But there are other colours here too. The smaller corrugated ring is of that heat resistant green but with time it goes pale and in places even white, just as the constriction petals further back.

2s8AP0W.jpg

NBIFiTr.jpg

The base colour was added to undercarriage bays and immediately some details were painted. It is only the start a lot of colours are still to go on different pipes, wires, dials, valves . . .

PS9UhCQ.jpg

Also some work on the ejection seat. Using the original kit plastic seat with a make over to bring it up to the standard which was in the PFM. A lot of work went into this, but for the moment little of it is visible. Hope later it will be more obvious.

FhMB3F0.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Thadeus,

Yep the Zvezda kit. Some time ago I did look at it several times in shops, at events, at shows and every time said nope, quickly closed the box and gave it back to traders. The same went for the Zvezda 21bis kit although I did help ACE in designing a set of etchings for it, but the kit is a no-no for me.

Remember these Zvezda kits are from a previous manufacturing school and they are nowhere near as good as the new CAD designed kits, like the Mi-24, Su-27 or the MiG-29 family. And lets not speak about some new re-box kits by Zvezda (like the MiG-15) which are intended for domestic kids market.

There are number of level differences between the Eduard PFM kit and Zvezda PFM. I would say the only kit in same class or even better is the Modelsvit MiG-21F-13.  

Thanks for looking in!

Hope to have a bit about the kit at the weekend.

Best regards

Gabor

On 12/3/2019 at 9:21 PM, Pal said:

Hi Gábor,

Thanks for the detailed analysis, the kit looks really nicely moulded.

The ejection seat is also very good, mostly after acknowleding that it is 1:72 scale.

Hope I can see the results after you put your fine brushes into action. 🤗

Enjoy the build!
Cheers,

Pali

Hi Pali,

Thanks for dropping in. Glad you like it. Will have more soon to show.

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

Some more views of the new Eduard MiG-21PFM kit in 72 nd scale.

Nice box art.

BumKj7q.jpg

What is inside?

chovmNl.jpg

Apart from previously mentioned details in this new kit there have also been changes to the common D Sprue. For example the previously criticised intake ring on the MF kits was changed for the PFM. A more “sharp” version is now on the sprue.

Here is the new one

nhehoOW.jpg

And the ring in the MF verison for comparison

2Ov4XjR.jpg

Double decal sheet. One for individual markings and the other for stencils. They are both made on Eduards home printing device.

6RJJQ4i.jpg

pDNosvg.jpg

Apart from painting masks this ProfiPack set also contains a photo etch fret. The etching caters for both the original grey cockpit version but also the later post-overhaul torques blue version as well as lots of different small parts.

9RnygO0.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

I've said it before, but I will say it again here. I am constantly amazed at the level of detail they are putting into 1/72 scale kits these days. To point, the cockpit side panels in the sprues shown above. Better than many 1/48 kits. We are certainly living in a renaissance of scale modeling (IMHO).

Yes, I like some of the details in the cockpit too. Actually the kit provides three options:

1.  Plastic parts have all the instruments, dials, switches on them. So one can paint everything by hand.

2.  You can add decals on the plastic parts giving more details while at the same time it also has some depth to it too. One would need a lot of decal softener for this.

3.  Or one can leave it all up to Eduard with pre-painted etched panels in this ProfiPack version.

There is an option to everyone taste and skills.  

Best regards

Gabor