Squadron Green Putty, what the heck!!

What on Earth have they done to Squadron Green Putty???

I've just opened a new tube of the stuff, first one in the new/latest packaging and half the contents have just poured out all over the place. What remains looks like the result of nasal congestion. I've looked on line and it seems that this is a new improved formula, really??

Why on Earth do companies feel the need to alter a product that has proved itself for over 20 yrs with something that is far less superior.

Thanks for the link Dom. Happy Modelling..... not so much these days as it just gets harder and harder to find the materials that I've been using for over 30 yrs. Then the added problem of crap kits etc etc........  binned my second Kinetic kit of the year(F-5A and Mirage 2K5), today as both were just unbuildable and not worth the hassle, time, effort and extra materials required.

I haven't finished any builds this year as the two Kinetic kits have totally sapped any motivation from me, however start afresh in the New Year.

Not surprised that the hobby is dying

Maybe grab a "weekend build" to jump start the enthusiasm. Go with something simple and easy and build it straight OOB including decals if needs be. Low parts count kits are especially great for this. Forgo the aftermarket and just enjoy building. Old school back to basics like when we were kids.  I have done this many times when it feels like I'm just spinning my wheels on the bigger projects.

Good luck and I hope things get better!

Cheers!

Don

If you don't like Squadron's brand of putty (I prefer 3M Acryl White), don't waste your money on their brand of liquid "cement".

It's totally useless IMHO. I threw away the bottle I had bought, after it simply refused to actually cement parts together.

The same can be said for their "new" brand of sanding sticks. Their "old" ones were fantastic, their new ones are worse than the dollar stores' cheap cardboard ones.

Larry

Seems like Squadron for whatever reason have made a few bad decisions of late.  I've been told the formula has changed yet again(in the last few months) due to the widely reported problems of the putty separating itself inside the tube, is this true?

I've also now just found out that Squadron Green is no longer imported to the UK in any form and it's only White and Grey that are available. I can't think of anything worse than Grey putty on Grey styrene

On 12/4/2019 at 3:17 PM, scotthldr said:

Thanks for the link Dom. Happy Modelling..... not so much these days as it just gets harder and harder to find the materials that I've been using for over 30 yrs. Then the added problem of crap kits etc etc........  binned my second Kinetic kit of the year(F-5A and Mirage 2K5), today as both were just unbuildable and not worth the hassle, time, effort and extra materials required.

I haven't finished any builds this year as the two Kinetic kits have totally sapped any motivation from me, however start afresh in the New Year.

Not surprised that the hobby is dying

I feel your pain, man.   I'm chipping away at Kinetik's Su-33, and it has been a trip, to say the least.  I've finally pushed through all of the painful stuff and am about to start painting.  Had some serious fit issues, but I managed to pull through.  I totally understand your frustration.   I didn't touch this model for a whole month before I decided to get back to it and push through my least favorite tasks in model building. 

I'm gonna go with Don here... I think you need to pick up something that is proven and straight forward, so that you can focus on the parts of the hobby that draw you in.   For me, that's painting. 

I don't think this has anything to do with the hobby dying, though.  If it is dying, its probably because other somewhat related hobbies have gotten more affordable.  Case in point, drones.   For $500 I can build a drone that I can fly with a first person view... that can self level and self rescue and that only costs $5 to fix after tanking it at 50mph into a tree.  15 years ago, something like this was only available to the military or a research lab and would have cost half a million dollars. 

...but I don't know man, It doesn't seem like this hobby is dying to me.  I just got back into it a year ago, and in that time, I've met a bunch of people (both in person and on the net) that just picked the hobby up because they were all impressed at the quality and detail of today's models.  From my perspective, it seems like the hobby is alive and well. 

9 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

I feel your pain, man.   I'm chipping away at Kinetik's Su-33, and it has been a trip, to say the least.  I've finally pushed through all of the painful stuff and am about to start painting.  Had some serious fit issues, but I managed to pull through.  I totally understand your frustration.   I didn't touch this model for a whole month before I decided to get back to it and push through my least favorite tasks in model building. 

I agree with you 100%. I have been struggling with that kit for about a year now. I am nearly done but can't get up the drive to finish it. The damn flaps don't want to stay on. I brush them with my hand accidentally and they come lose. Its been enough to make grown man cry. :crying2:

On 12/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, BaconRaygun said:

...but I don't know man, It doesn't seem like this hobby is dying to me.  I just got back into it a year ago, and in that time, I've met a bunch of people (both in person and on the net) that just picked the hobby up because they were all impressed at the quality and detail of today's models.  From my perspective, it seems like the hobby is alive and well. 

I don’t know if the hobby is dying or not.  I don’t see young people interested at all, and I know very few folks my age (~60) who do models.  That said, the EXTRAORDINARY model kits, and the aftermarket items mean that models, for those of us who participate in the model game, are AMAZINGLY detailed and realistic.  Just today, reading a review that said a particular cockpit in 1/48 is as detailed as a 1/32 kit was even just a few short years ago!  So, we are in scale model nirvana...those of us who are still ‘in’!  I don’t guess that the manufacturers would be sinking all those costs in making products if they really thought that tanks and airplanes were on their last legs...

Yes, I'm sure the interest level with kids is far lower than it once was... but that makes perfect sense.   Video games and RC models are far more tempting with a much more modest learning curve.   It makes sense that as those things became better and more accessible, popularity of other hobbies that would be attractive to the same demographic wanes.   There's also digital 3D modeling... the kids like that stuff,  and that's a good thing, because those skills translate 1:1 to CGI and video game development, which is big money. 

If you think this hobby is suffering, then don't go look at the poor model train guys.   That hobby is straight up dying. 

The detail is exactly what brought me back.  I was throwing models together when I was in my teens and right as I was starting to build instead of "throw together" I lost interest.   A few years back after I stumbled upon some newer models through some of my RC friends, I started thinking about getting back into it.  Then, my aunt randomly sent me a model (like she used to when I was a kid) and after seeing the detail and being totally blown away, I decided it was time.    Seems like a lot of people get into this hobby in their late twenties to late thirties, so maybe it really doesn't matter that kids are not particularly interested. 

Not sure I agree that model trains are dying. I'm an avid model railroader myself and there are so many new locomotives and rolling stock being produced yearly and many of them sellout ridiculously fast and are hard to get. The demand for new items is hard for the manufacturers to meet. Technology wise model railroading is constantly advancing and operational realism is unbelievable! My local model railroading club meets monthly (sometimes twice a month during busy show times like Christmas) and has over fifty active members and a large number of semi-active members. Compared to my local model club that has ten members that meet every second month its like night and day. Now, folks on the model railroading side make the same "our hobby is dying" claims as we read here. Who knows?

In terms of scale models, a lot of younger modelers enjoy Gundams and models from movies (i.e. Star Wars) and video games. My son loves Gundam kits and when Revell released their Halo kits he was pumped. I often wonder if companies released kits under the COD, Battlefront, Ghost Recon type labels and included DLC or skin codes in the box  if it wouldn't get kids more interested in buying them. Again...who knows?

Happy modeling all!

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don

Perhaps you're right.  I'm just repeating what the guys at a large, train specific hobby shop that's down the block from my job said....and what the one other person that I know who is into model railroads said.  One of the guys at that shop did mention certain rolling stock selling out really quickly, but he said it was because most of the people into it are older or retired and have plenty of money and time to burn.    This same guy said attendance at shows was healthy but he feels like a baby when he goes because everybody is his fathers age... and he is in his late 40s or early 50s.  I dont know... he seemed like a reliable source to me.

I've always thought model railroads were cool as hell, but I never got into it because of the amount of space required.  I really hope you are right, because it would be a shame to see that hobby disappear. 

Good point about the Gundham models, I didnt even think of those.  Another thing that comes to mind is miniature wargaming.  Those seem to be more popular than ever these days. 

Edited by BaconRaygun