USAF ARS Fuselage band & Arctic color

Hi

For the life of me, and after checking TO 1-1...I can't find the width of the old yellow ARS fuselage band.

48" with 6" borders comes to mind, but I can't confirm.

If you don't know, does anyone have a kit decals  (Any SA-16, Italeri H-21 or Revell H-19) you could measure?

Also, the Arctic markings are supposed to be FS 12197, International Orange.

I need it in spray form, anyone have a close match. Yeah its makes a car color "Racing Red" which looks close. How about the MOPAR color "Go Mango" which I think is available.

On 12/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, JohnEB said:

I can't find the width of the old yellow ARS fuselage band.

48" with 6" borders comes to mind, but I can't confirm.

John,

Which specific aircraft are we talking and rough time frame?  I believe that it varied for helos vs large transports.  The 1964 edition of USAF T.O. 1 says H-19s, H-21s, H-43s, etc..  all should have 36" wide ARS bands in yellow-orange [FS13538] with 6" wide borders in black [FS17038]. The HH-3E has a 60" wide yellow band on the tail boom.

H-19 Markings [USAF T.O. 1 (1964) pg.88].

H-19_2.JPG.5ece48f411265fe7015f5a0a7196d4e5.JPG 

Edited by Dutch

The original Conspicuity / Artic markings (deep red) were "Code 633."  International Orange (red) is FS12197.  So not sure where to go with that, except as you mention, find a color that is close, as it probably faded in use. T.O. 1 says to leave 1" border around all lettering and numbers.

Thanks...

I'm thinking about building my ancient 1/48 Aurora H-21 (yes I know there are better kits out there, but I'm on a retro kick prompted by my building of an Atlantis H-25).

I asked Atlantis and they said the Aurora mold for the H-21 was destroyed in 1978 (I wonder if it was in the same train wreck that has been blamed for other molds being lost?).

So If anyone here  REALLY wants or needs an Aurora before I build it, speak now or forever hold your peace. It's in the 1963 Vietnam artwork box which is in good condition. The instructions and decals are yellowed.

I downloaded a color chart and no one makes an International Orange in a enamel spray, but the MOPAR color of "Go Mango" is awfully close...and as you say, the way they faded, close is probably close enough.

My 1-1-4 is later and while it shows the H-21, it doesn't give a width for the ARS stripe.

T.O. 1-1-4 Aircraft Markings (1964) H-21 scans.  First the description page (3-90).  Of note, it does not specify the band or border width for the H-21, though it does call out the colors.

1964_p3-90.JPG.17332972b89b0494f3dda8a77fbeccf7.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Now the graphic page (3-91) for the H-21.  Perhaps you could make a best guess at the width, although 36 in looks about right.  I would think that the borders would still be 6 in.

1964_p3-91.thumb.JPG.c41035c2f544dce5202503365993db95.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Thanks...

I'll try 36" ... or 3/4" in 48th scale.

Although, in most of the photos I've found the Paiseckis have either arctic or ARS markings, not both. The arctic markings on the H-21 are weird, the forward band is midway down the fuselage instead of the usual nose position....as seen in most types including the H-19.

Odd.

At this late date, I don't suppose we'll ever know why.

But since it's just an Aurora kit for fun, I'm not sure it matters. 🙂

Edited by JohnEB
On 12/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, Dutch said:

Now the graphic page (3-91) for the H-21.  Perhaps you could make a best guess at the width, although 36 in looks about right.  I would think that the borders would still be 6 in.

1964_p3-91.thumb.JPG.c41035c2f544dce5202503365993db95.JPG

Good guess on the orange-yellow rescue band at 36".

The two red conspicuity bands are:

Forward band is 259.50 - 199.50 = 60 inches, or five feet.
The rear band is 589.00 - 541.00  = 48 inches, or four feet.

Thanks...I have that same graphic in my copy of 1-1-4 and noted the bands. For the orange, I'm using a spray that is very close to the ANA 634 Orange shade used in the 50s.

The Caracal decal sheet shows the arctic bands as being red, but that disagrees with 1-1-4. 

There are two surviving Alaskan Air Command ships on display in Alaska...both look to have Insignia Red bands. 

As far as the kit goes, I found a super thin 3/4" plastic tape (36" in      a1/48th), I'll use. With burnishing, if conforms nicely to the panel lines.

I'm having fun with the Aurora kit improving the cockpit, adding fuselage bulkhead and floor, drilling out the otherwise nicely done twin exhausts.

Edited by JohnEB

John, judging from all the color photos I have seen of 50s and 60s era USAF Arctic Conspicuity markings on fighters, helos and smaller aircraft, they are red.  Only large aircraft like transports had orange conspicuity bands, but even some of those were red as well, eg C-119s and C-130s. The ARS markings were yellow. RCAF used intl orange, but USAF used yellow for SAR aircraft. HTH, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Dutch, I agree with you 100%...but that's not what the 1-1-4 says.

As a kid I recall the conspiculty markings on C-124s being red.

Also look at Army aircraft in their white fuselage arctic/desert scheme, red there too.

There MIGHT be  a difference between the red anti collision bands seen in transports of the late '50s and the arctic markings....then again maybe not.