What is your 3 unwritten rules of engagement before taking a seat at your hobby bench?

Here`s mine,

# Make sure access to room is under strict control/lockdown.

# Next months electric bill has been paid.

# Keep all open containers out of arms reach.

:popcorn:

Policy? Let's see...

1. Find a place to move all the broken toys and small pieces of jewelry my kids have put on the bench for me to fix (because my wife's go-to answer is "go put it on Daddy's desk" and not tell me about it).

2. Clean up all the small spills caused by said toys placed on my desk.

3. Notice in the process of cleaning that the small scratch-built detail that I'd labored on for hours and was carefully set aside to dry is now covered with dirty brush water and apple juice from the spills (see step 1)

4. Cool down and wipe the tears away after realizing the work I did is lost.

5. Investigate who needs what fixed and maybe tackle one or 2 of those items (battery changes typically I can do right then)

6. Finally get the desk cleaned up enough to have enough few sq inches of work space to start looking at what I want to work on.

5. Stop looking at that and help the kids with homework and try to figure out what the heck they did with math and stupid common core...I mean come on, the process they devised is 100 times harder to figure out than just DOING THE MATH! WHAT THA..... 

6. Cool down about common core math and start looking at model I want to work on

7. Realize there may be a simple solution to salvaging the lost detail work with the apple juice so take that back out and start trying to fix that.

8. Get right in the thick of my genius fix process and be called by the wife from across the house that the family wants to go out to eat tonight and ask if I can set-up the call-ahead seating.

9. Call and get put on hold.......................................................................................... Still holding.......

10. Go out to eat.

11. Remember we need a "few things" from the store while we're out. Come home with $20,000 (maybe a slight exaggeration) worth of junk food.

12. Get back to the bench and try to pick up where I was in my genius fix....

13. Realize it's time to get the kids in bed and start getting stuff ready for work the next day.

14. Put them and bed and walk by the desk on my way to bed to see how my progress has been....

15. Move the night-light that was placed on my desk by kid #2 while I was helping kid #1 get ready for bed because it needs a new bulb.

16. Go to bed laughing, because you know, getting angry about it just makes it worse.

17. Wake up the next day and thank God for my awesome family I really am blessed with.

18. Rinse repeat.

Bill

1. Make sure cat is comfortable sitting in MY $200 modeling chair.                                       2. Make sure beer is cold for consumption  on first modeling catastrophe  of the day.       3. Make sure to remember that modeling is fun.                                

The only rule is that there are no rules. I let one of my cats drink from decals dipping bowl and other grab some of my tools which my wife usually collects in various parts of our home. 2 other cats don't care much about modelling.

Anyone have one of those fancy elevating desks where the smaller the scale the higher you go? I`ve seen some used ones floating around and can`t help thinking i need one. That way i could implement different policies for different levels 😉 

Rule #1. Initiate Hallmark Christmas movie marathon on downstairs televideo device to otherwise engage spouse's senses prior to making advaces toward upstairs work bench.

Rule #2.  Read online kit review, place online order for kit, place online order for items necessary to model said kit, read online historical data pertinent to kit subject, get impatient, scour stash for similar kit subject, lose interest in initial subject, find other kit,  read online kit review for found subject, place online order for items necessary to model said kit,  read online historical data pertinent to kit subject,  scour stash for kit of sub variant of subject,  place online order for sub variant of kit not located in stash, lather, rinse, repeat,  fail to make it to the bench.  Hallmark marathon ends, spouse enters fortress of solitude.

Rule #3.  I never get to 3 for some reason.

Rick L.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, niart17 said:

1. Find a place to move all the broken toys and small pieces of jewelry my kids have put on the bench for me to fix (because my wife's go-to answer is "go put it on Daddy's desk" and not tell me about it).

Still happens today with my kids being 16 and 19 and I've been married for 25 years.  😄

On 12/4/2019 at 10:57 PM, IPMSUSA2 said:

Mstor, are you suggesting that your cat is in residence on your workbench?

Nope, work area is in the basement and I don't allow either of our furry maniacs down there. No, the catastrophe is all my own making (and damn proud of it I am) :whistle:

12 hours ago, IPMSUSA2 said:

Work is something you do because you have to.

Hobby is something you do because you want to.

If you make your living by doing something you want to....

...is it a Wobby or Hobbork?

Ain't semantics fun?

If you`re not working, your hobby becomes work. A labour of love we can all relate to. Indeed semantics are fun 😉  

WORK: "Activities involving mental or physical effort in order to achieve a purpose or result"

On 12/5/2019 at 9:54 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

My only hard and fast rule is No Modeling After Three Beers...it's like drinking and driving, you may feel like Juan Fangio behind the wheel but ya probably shouldn't do it.

Amen bro!

Rule #1 negotiate bench time with wife (put her and kids to sleep or something)

#2 grab all the stuff I can think of from the closet and put it on a dinner table.

#3 realise the table is covered with toys, so clean up the toys - exactly in that order.

Yup, that'd be it 🙂

My only workbench rule is to have something I've seen before on the DVD player (usually something sci-fi from the 1990's) when I'm working. If I play something I've never seen before, I end up watching and not building.

On 12/7/2019 at 11:23 AM, IPMSUSA2 said:

Work is something you do because you have to.

Hobby is something you do because you want to.

Yup. For me, constructing models is a hobby, painting them is work.